Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tracking P85D delivery thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took delivery of #65746 today in Devon, PA. Everyone was stupendously nice, even when my two year old blew a fuse during the walk through. I was pleasantly surprised to find that I had received both the matching yacht floor (I skipped the interior package) and the heated steering wheel, neither of which were promised nor expected. I'm definitely seeing the range issue that's been much discussed, but I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and assume that will be fixed in the near future. In the meantime, I'm gonna drive this thing like I stole it. Wonderful, fantastic car. :)

So many threads, so, not sure the most appropriate place to post this anymore.

Got a brief response from Jerome regarding efficiency. It was somewhat along the lines of what another poster received. He offered to check out logs from my car and basically said that EPA testing is done on tires with at least 3000 miles.

He can't be suggesting that the differences you and everyone are seeing is 100% due to fresh tires though, right? If he hasn't yet, do you think you can get him to at least confirm that there will be a software update, "Normal Mode", etc., and/or that the software used during the EPA testing is not the software our cars are running? Saying the tires used for testing have 3000 miles on them may be true, but there has to be more to the story than that. At least I hope there is. If there isn't, I'd like it if Jerome told you that as well.

I took delivery of #65746 today in Devon, PA. Everyone was stupendously nice, even when my two year old blew a fuse during the walk through. I was pleasantly surprised to find that I had received both the matching yacht floor (I skipped the interior package) and the heated steering wheel, neither of which were promised nor expected. I'm definitely seeing the range issue that's been much discussed, but I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and assume that will be fixed in the near future. In the meantime, I'm gonna drive this thing like I stole it. Wonderful, fantastic car. :)
Wow! Congrats on the delivery and the heated wheel. When did your car enter production? This may help gauge when they started putting in this option. Thank you.

Talk about cutting it close! I fly into Vegas on Wednesday afternoon for a 3pm delivery, then the long drive home to Salt Lake. Kind of inconvenient to pick up New Years Eve, but I very much want the tax credit for this year. Also picking up in Vegas because I'm having a center console installed. This PD is my first Tesla, so maybe I'm missing something, but honestly where do you people put stuff without a center console?

He can't be suggesting that the differences you and everyone are seeing is 100% due to fresh tires though, right? If he hasn't yet, do you think you can get him to at least confirm that there will be a software update, "Normal Mode", etc., and/or that the software used during the EPA testing is not the software our cars are running? Saying the tires used for testing have 3000 miles on them may be true, but there has to be more to the story than that. At least I hope there is. If there isn't, I'd like it if Jerome told you that as well.

I wrote a reply and explained that the efficiency differences couldn't possibly be accounted for by differences in tires alone, and included my numbers from an early post where I explain that > 1kW would need to be dissipated in each tire for that to be the case... I did ask about the software also.

I actually just got a brief response that says nothing relevant except "We will review the logs."

Guess I'll see how that goes. *yawn*

I wrote a reply and explained that the efficiency differences couldn't possibly be accounted for by differences in tires alone, and included my numbers from an early post where I explain that > 1kW would need to be dissipated in each tire for that to be the case... I did ask about the software also.

I actually just got a brief response that says nothing relevant except "We will review the logs."

Guess I'll see how that goes. *yawn*

This makes it sound like they are trying to identify a problem specific to your car. We know that's not what's going on here, and I'm sure Tesla does too, as evidenced by Musk's deleted tweet. I really don't understand this.

Do you mind posting a picture of your yacht floor? I really liked the yacht floor but didn't want to pay for premium interior just for that.

#66195 delivered tonight!! Had a fantastic time squirting around the side streets and highways on the way home and out for my birthday dinner! Thinking third time is a charm - an S85 last year, a P85 in October (a few days before autopilot was included) and now my P85D - all looking exactly like the previous ones! Red/Tan/19" wheels. I did enjoy the heated steering wheel bonus. :) And yes - the yacht floors are now included even though I did order the premium interior package as well. Seats ordered were the tan Next Gen, received standard leather instead (front and back). No ETA on those arriving.

Will without a doubt tell you that my sales, delivery, and service team here in Saint Louis were amazing through the entire process. I couldn't ask for a better team to work with. Car arrived with a half dozen other cars on the trailer around noon and I was enamored and walking around my car ready for delivery by 4:30pm. Kudos!!

Not a whole lot more to say here that hasn't been said already by others. Just happy to be back in a Tesla and ready to just drive it with all the enthusiasm it deserves!

So many threads, so, not sure the most appropriate place to post this anymore.

Got a brief response from Jerome regarding efficiency. It was somewhat along the lines of what another poster received. He offered to check out logs from my car and basically said that EPA testing is done on tires with at least 3000 miles.

Has anyone managed to nurse their way to the EPA ratings in terms of consumption? <crickets>

Talk about cutting it close! I fly into Vegas on Wednesday afternoon for a 3pm delivery, then the long drive home to Salt Lake. Kind of inconvenient to pick up New Years Eve, but I very much want the tax credit for this year. Also picking up in Vegas because I'm having a center console installed. This PD is my first Tesla, so maybe I'm missing something, but honestly where do you people put stuff without a center console?

Congratulations! I drove home with mine Saturday. I love the open space. It's perfect for my wife's purse, or a bag of fast food when I hit a drive through.

Nope. I responded back and said feel free to review the logs.

Sitting in vietnam and finally catching up on all this range talk... hoping the update fixed some of the issues, and I see it hasn't. Very interesting Elon removed his tweet. I think that's a pretty huge signal.

Anyways - judging by Jerome's partial deflection saying "we tested cars with 3000 miles on them"... It seems as though they need some more proof from the Tesla community.

Do you guys think it would be worth creating some sort of spreadsheet similar to the delivery one, but for keeping track of trips? We could have columns for driving conditions (speed, hills, weather, etc), miles, wh/mile, car specs. Anything else you can think of. I think we'd have to go by the honor code.

Wk has led the way on quantifying the range issue and giving the data to Tesla. I think this is a serious enough issue we all need to collect as much data as possible in a comprehensive sheet. I think our goal is twofold: 1) Give them the data they need to improve the efficiency, 2) Show them we're seriously displeased with this massive oversight.

Thoughts?

If you're trying to suggest that you can tell if a vehicle has the autopilot sensors based on the VIN then you're wrong. The serial number in the VIN is not a production sequence number. My September 2014 car missed the autopilot sensors and had VIN 56107. When I was dropping it off at the service center I saw a loaner with VIN 55xxx that had autopilot sensors. Outside of some database that Tesla has that provides this information the only way to know is to look at a specific car.

Believe it or not there is no clause allowing Tesla to change the specifications or configuration of a vehicle in the MVPA (the missing page 1 is just the vehicle configuration, my contact info and date when I placed the order). Now that's my MVPA and you'll note it has a revision number at the bottom, so I can't speak for what wk057's MVPA says with absolute certainty but I am fairly certain he had the same MVPA based on when he ordered and I did. Frankly, I was pretty shocked when I found this looking at my own MVPA.

That hasn't been true since 2008. The EPA test changed starting with the 2008 model year to use a 5-cycle drive test instead of a 2-cycle drive test. The existing cycles in the 2-cycle drive tests were a city test and a highway test (slow compared to current speed limits). The 5-cycle drive test includes those cycles and 3 new ones. A cold test (20°F, using the heater), a hot test (95°F, using the air conditioning) and a high speed test (reaching 80mph). The city, highway and highspeed cycles are done 68°F-86°F.

You seem to be under the impression that these tests take place on actual roads, they do not. They are done in laboratory conditions on a dynamo. Ambient conditions are controlled per the test specifications.

I believe these temperatures are good enough to include the impacts of temperatures on range. So in ideal weather conditions you should do better than the rated range.

An older article, but quite informative on the EPA Testing protocols nonetheless:

The Truth About EPA City / Highway MPG Estimates - Feature - Car and Driver

and something more recent on the hybrid EPA numbers:

Why Is the EPA So Bad at Estimating Hybrid Fuel Economy? Car and Driver

Dashboard changed back estimated delivery from Late March to March for my VIN FFP 67812 yesterday. Oslo(Drammen), Norway.
Noticed that a trace of Late March is there in a html comment in the generated web page, in a mix of Norwegian and English, "Sen March" :) Don't know if this comment reflects priviously estimated delivery, or indicated delivery time when ordered.

Dashboard changed back estimated delivery from Late March to March for my VIN FFP 67812 yesterday. Oslo(Drammen), Norway.
Noticed that a trace of Late March is there in a html comment in the generated web page, in a mix of Norwegian and English, "Sen March" :) Don't know if this comment reflects priviously estimated delivery, or indicated delivery time when ordered.

That's great news! :)

OK. Wet and nasty out tonight, so, no sense trying to be efficient. I did for a couple of miles and was at ~500 Wh/mi anyway, so...

i am seriously impressed by that, both the fiat 500e and fit ev are damn near impossible to drive in a light drizzle. the moment you tap the accelerator the tires spin up a whirlwind. the p85d appears to just continue as normal.

Sitting in vietnam... Do you guys think it would be worth creating some sort of spreadsheet similar to the delivery one, but for keeping track of trips?...
Thoughts?

someone made that in another thread.
P85D range and highway battery performance - Page 2