Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trade In - Check Engine Light

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, the check engine light came on in my Audi A4 a few days ago. I called the Tesla dealer to ask how this would impact the trade in process and the guy told me not to worry about it, that as long as the car turns on and doesn't have big visible damage, then it wouldn't be an issue.

I've read some other stories of one Tesla rep telling a customer something but then that customer finding out it's not true, so I thought I would see if other people had issues with trade in over similar issues, or if they really don't care about the state of the car.

Sorry, but if you don't believe your Tesla dealer (they don't like to be called a dealer), you won't believe us either. Including the stories others here had posted about being told one thing.

Interesting theory, but I'm not sure it's true. The "person at the Tesla shop I called" has an incentive to close a deal and sales people have been known to say anything to do that. I expect most people on here don't hold such motivation for mendacity. Hopefully I'll get some honest stories of what went down when people had this issue.

Interesting theory, but I'm not sure it's true. The "person at the Tesla shop I called" has an incentive to close a deal and sales people have been known to say anything to do that. I expect most people on here don't hold such motivation for mendacity. Hopefully I'll get some honest stories of what went down when people had this issue.

There likely isnt a blanket answer for this. Tesla basically sends all cars to auction, but even with saying that, what is your previous experience with trading in a car to any other car place with a check engine light on? Expect it to be pretty much the same.

They might end up telling you the car is worth less than the trade in value, for example. Your best bet is to try to get the car there to them without a check engine light on.

They offer so little for trades that you could trade it without wheels, and they'd still make money on it. Ha ha. Seriously, if your car is still under warranty, and not modified, it might not impact trade-in value if dealer wants to make the sale. But going back to what Tesla is offering now, it's an insult. Don't understand why they stopped trading via CarMax, on top of losing the EV rebates; makes no sense to me, but guess they're that arrogant. Anyway, my wife refuses to give away her pristine car, and we'd need to trade it in since we live hundreds of miles from closest dealer. We'll give it a try once more and see what they offer.