Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trade-in experience (AutoNation, CarMax, Private Party, etc.)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My DS warned me that their trade in values might be low, but I looked into it anyway. Autonation offered me $9100 for my wife's very clean 2003 Lexus LS 430.

I posted it on Craigs List and sold it to the first person to come out and see the car for my full asking price of $14,500.

Private sale and Trade-In values have always been different numbers. I believe you will almost always get a lower trade-in price, hands down and for obvious reasons (risk, convenience, paperwork processing done by them, et al). I've heard some horror stories, but so far, they've been great for me. The only bad things I could say was that their offer was on the lower end even though it had extremely low miles for an '07 (33K) and was in good condition, but not absurdly low. After the first call back after using the online form, I told them I needed a few days due to work for the inspection. They said they'd call back on a specific date, but never actually called me back. The good things I could say are: They've always been super nice. As a Tesla customer, they said I didn't have to worry about the 250mi limit from offer certification to inspection, nor the certified offer expiration date...small things that are actually quite convenient. Then there's the bonus of keeping the car until I take my delivery and the tax benefit. I'd say overall that AutoNation is a good deal because they take a lot of the hassle out of the Tesla purchase if you don't have an extra vehicle (aka that's your only car or the wife always needs the other). The more expensive the car, the more likely I'd want to go with a private sale as the difference gets larger between the trade-in and private sale values, effectively mitigating the tax benefit and convenience aspects.

Private sale and Trade-In values have always been different numbers. I believe you will almost always get a lower trade-in price, hands down and for obvious reasons (risk, convenience, paperwork processing done by them, et al). I've heard some horror stories, but so far, they've been great for me. The only bad things I could say was that their offer was on the lower end even though it had extremely low miles for an '07 (33K) and was in good condition, but not absurdly low. After the first call back after using the online form, I told them I needed a few days due to work for the inspection. They said they'd call back on a specific date, but never actually called me back. The good things I could say are: They've always been super nice. As a Tesla customer, they said I didn't have to worry about the 250mi limit from offer certification to inspection, nor the certified offer expiration date...small things that are actually quite convenient. Then there's the bonus of keeping the car until I take my delivery and the tax benefit. I'd say overall that AutoNation is a good deal because they take a lot of the hassle out of the Tesla purchase if you don't have an extra vehicle (aka that's your only car or the wife always needs the other). The more expensive the car, the more likely I'd want to go with a private sale as the difference gets larger between the trade-in and private sale values, effectively mitigating the tax benefit and convenience aspects.
I've had the exact same experience as you. And their price is effectively better than carmax when taking into account the tax benefit.

Just got my Tesla/Autonation offer of $28,000 for my 2009 Lexus LS. Last weekend, Carmax offered me $30,000. KBB is low $30s. Has anyone had any luck getting Autonation to increase their offer? According to the Tesla manager in White Plains, I would get the trade-in sales tax reduction (need to verify with my DS), which is worth ~$1800.

My ugly story

My DS tells me that I can't get the sales tax credit via Tesla/AN because I am in CT and the sale is in NY. Not sure why that is, given I have bought cars in NY before and gotten the sales tax credit on a trade-in, but maybe it has something to do with the fact that it isn't Tesla buying the car.

I got the offers above plus an offer for $28k from the disinterested local Lexus dealer. Based on comments in this thread I tried Autotrader.com and they offered me $31K online, subject to a local inspection. Sounds great. I tell my DS that I will sell the car on my own and will transfer the tags/registration (mistake #1) to the Model S. I plan on taking my Lexus to Premium Nissan in New Rochelle (the closest Autotrader Buying Center), sell it and then go to Tesla in White Plains to pick up my new toy.

I get to Premium Nissan and they look at the car and say that since the bumpers are scratched, they will need to be repainted and that will cause a pricing adjustment. The guy enters a bunch of information into Autotrader.com and after 5 minutes it comes back on the screen and says the revised purchase price is $30,100. Not thrilled but what can you do. The guy then pulls the I have to go talk to my manager BS and after making me sit for 15 minutes comes back and says the most they can offer me for the car is $28,000. I go apesh*t and tell the guy this is completely outrageous, show him the $30K written offer from Carmax (expired, since it was from a month ago) and start walking out of the dealer. I pause to complain to the "manager" for wasting my time and he promptly turns me over to the guy who seems to have some authority who immediately says, OK we can go to $29,000. I light into him and he says lets go look at the car again. I show him the Carmax offer, say I'd rather just deal with this now so I don't have to make the hour long drive to New Haven to go to Carmax and say if he can do $29,500 I'll sell it to them (I figure that Carmax would probably cut a couple of hundred off their price due to the car being a month older and having a thousand more miles on it). He says he will give me $29,200 and I reluctantly (and bitterly) take it. I din't really have too much of a choice because I was transferring the registration tomorrow and I couldn't get up to Carmax before the weekend, which would mean I would have to drive the Lexus up there without a registration, which is just asking for trouble.

All in all a very frustrating experience. I can't understand how dealerships think that this is an acceptable way to run a business. I wish Tesla/Autonation would have been a bit more competitive in their pricing and it would have saved me a lot of aggravation.

Based on my experience, I would caution others to steer clear of Autotrader and deal with no-BS Carmax or the slightly lower pricing from Tesla/AN.

I traded in my car and confirm that you will get the tax benefit in Illinois (not sure why you wouldn't elsewhere). Tesla bought from me and then immediately sold to a local buyer. Quick and easy. Seemed about 2-3k below what I might have received privately, but with the tax benefit, I was about even.

I'm picking up this week. My Panamera was appraised at carmax one month ago for $54000(certainly less now one month later). 2 weeks later I did autonationdirect online through tesla. They offered $51500 subject to inspection. They inspected 2 weeks ago and I accepted their offer. They are also allowing me to drive my car until my tesla arrives which will have been three weeks since the offer. With the trade in tax savings its $500 more than carmax, and this is also allowing me to keep driving my car at no charge for about one month since the original offer and around 1500 miles! And it has been so convenient with them coming to me, and whenever my tesla is ready, I drive my Panamera there, pick up my tesla, and wave goodby to my Panamera. Very convenient, and tesla handles the transfer of plates/registration. Very happy so far, just hope it works out as they have promised.

I have sold three cars to CarMax over the years. My latest a RR Sport to defray the cost of my 'S'. I always do my 'due diligence' and shop local dealers (where I bought each vehicle from), check Kelly Blue Book and/or webuyanycar dot com. Consistently, CarMax has offered me 10-15% more than anyone else. No hassle. Takes one hour or less. The closest CarMax to me is over an hour away but worth the trip.

Just completed the Autonation portion of the trade-in this afternoon. After some confusion on the dealers part, they accepted the original offer given without any adjustments. I had an additional offer on standby which was a little bit smaller than AN, but glad this seemed to go through with no difficulty. I have had good experiences with CarMax in the past, but basically started to run out of time to get an offer from them... but in the end -- it would have been a bit more hassle when it comes time to drop off the old car.

I traded a Audi S5, to my local Audi dealer. Tesla DS is completely clueless how to handle trade paperwork, so had to get his supervisor on the phone in order to explain why what we needed to do. I too want the tax savings on the trade ($52k) deducted on the Motor Vehicle Purchase Agreement, so when I register it, that will be $52K less owed on the amount of taxes.

Autonation ($48k) offer was a joke so was Carmax ($47500).

I had to send the title to Tesla (title was free and clear), leave car at Audi dealer, dealer had to issue a wholesale buyers order to Tesla, and issue a check to Tesla, Tesla then sent Audi dealer title. Kinda of a pain, but net/net got the trade deducted and reflected on MVPA--that saved me about $2500 in taxes I'll have to pay. Well worth it.

What is the tax benefit of "trading in" the car with AutoNation? I received their quote which i believe was way low, but if there is a tax advantage of going with them vs. CarMax or private party, i'd like to know what that is for a sale of a car in MD.

There is no benefit. Any dealer can do the same paperwork as them. Tesla is probably getting a cut of some kind in exchange.

Once you find a dealer that gives you a good price, get them in contact with Tesla DS directly (or preferable the DS's boss who knows how to handle the paperwork). The challenge might be dealer doesn't want to deal with the Tesla process (because they are lazy or just don't want to do anything to help Tesla--or both).

Example for tax savings (in Texas at least where auto taxes are 6.25--complete rip off):

Tesla $100,000
Trade $50,000

Taxes due with trade - $3125 (Pay taxes on net difference of $50K)
Taxes without a trade - $6125 (Pay taxes on full $100K)

$3K is a big chunk of change to throw away into the State coffers.

In the past year I've sold a Prius and MS to CarMax and got top dollar on both. In fact, the MS was sold for more than I had paid for the car after the tax credit was applied despite have 9k miles on it and being 7 months old. I've since had a new upgraded MS delivered. The most painful part of the sale was having to drive an ICE while the new MS was in production.

How does it work, trading the car into a dealer separate from Tesla and being able to gain the sales tax benefit? Whenever I have done this in the past, it had to be the same dealer for both sides of the deal (buying your trade, and selling the new car.)

How does it work, trading the car into a dealer separate from Tesla and being able to gain the sales tax benefit? Whenever I have done this in the past, it had to be the same dealer for both sides of the deal (buying your trade, and selling the new car.)

I explained it the best I could in previous thread. Best to ask your Tesla DS to get into all of the details. Net net it's a basic in and out in car terms.

I traded a Audi S5, to my local Audi dealer. Tesla DS is completely clueless how to handle trade paperwork, so had to get his supervisor on the phone in order to explain why what we needed to do. I too want the tax savings on the trade ($52k) deducted on the Motor Vehicle Purchase Agreement, so when I register it, that will be $52K less owed on the amount of taxes.

Autonation ($48k) offer was a joke so was Carmax ($47500).

I had to send the title to Tesla (title was free and clear), leave car at Audi dealer, dealer had to issue a wholesale buyers order to Tesla, and issue a check to Tesla, Tesla then sent Audi dealer title. Kinda of a pain, but net/net got the trade deducted and reflected on MVPA--that saved me about $2500 in taxes I'll have to pay. Well worth it.

PM'd you to try and find details about this...

I replaced my 2008 BMW M3 hardtop convertible with my new MS. The quote I got from AutoNation was $33,100. The quote I got from CarMax was $34,000. The BB private party resale value (car had 44k miles and was in excellent shape) was $40k.

I ended up selling it on Autotrader.com for $38000. I took me about an hour to post and pay $55 bucks to Autotrader -- but saved myself 4k to 5k from pretty low offers from the trade-in companies. I am in CA so had no sales tax benefit to doing the tradein with Autonation.