Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trade-in experience (AutoNation, CarMax, Private Party, etc.)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
CarMax isn't an option here in Washington, so I tried AutoNation through Tesla and also AutoTrader.com. AutoTrader came in at less than half the KBB trade-in value and AutoNation half of that again. Kind of insulting, actually. I turned them both down and will be taking it on Wednesday to the dealer where I purchased the car and have had almost all the service done for the last 10 years. At least I can haggle with them, and they can actually look at the car. I'm hoping for something a bit closer to KBB. If not, it will be on to Craigslist...

Just to add another data point to this thread, I took my car over to CarMax (2008 Subaru Impresa WRX) and they gave me a bit over KBB trade-in value. My car qualified as Good condition with low miles 54k hence the higher value. The process was pretty quick and they cut me a check on the spot. I walked out with more money to put down on my Tesla which should be at my house the first or second week of Jan.

Does anyone have the link for Autonation? Their website just embeds KBB, and requires it to be a trade-in (and Tesla aren't listed). I'm visiting CarMax tomorrow, and have an offer from my Audi dealer, but I'd like another option if possible. I know Tesla don't really have a partnership with Autonation outside of California, but I assumed I could still go direct to them (?)

Does anyone have the link for Autonation? Their website just embeds KBB, and requires it to be a trade-in (and Tesla aren't listed). I'm visiting CarMax tomorrow, and have an offer from my Audi dealer, but I'd like another option if possible. I know Tesla don't really have a partnership with Autonation outside of California, but I assumed I could still go direct to them (?)

AutoNation Direct - Car Buying Program
. But note that I got a significantly better deal from CarMax.

Looks like we can't do a "trade-in" in Texas - and will have to pay sales tax on the full purchase price.

Can't do it in Ohio yet, either. Paid ~ $6,700.00 cash (saves 2%) sales tax this morning while getting a title issued against the MCO.

Tesla can't do the trade-in subtraction from the purchase price for tax calculations because they don't have an Ohio car dealer's license yet. I suppose they will after they have an Ohio place of business from which to register. The Columbus, OH service center is supposed to be stood up in March.

Being an Ohio early adopter cost us ~ $1,300.00 in extra sales tax ;-0

The AutoNation offer for my 2011 BMW 535i was $1200 more than CarMax and $3200 more than my local BMW dealer in the LA area. I think that I am one of the few who completed my trade-in via AutoNation, since Tesla wasn't sure exactly how to coordinate the direct-ship delivery of my MS with the trade-in of my BMW.

Overall, the process was fairly straightforward even though there were multiple steps. After receiving an AutoNation quote link from my DS prior to receiving the final MVPA, I filled in a survey about my car and included a few photos. I received an email with a quote from AutoNation one day later which was guaranteed for 10 days and up to 250 additional miles, subject to an inspection to confirm the car's condition and options. After emailing the quote to my DS, the final MS purchase agreement was emailed to me with the trade-in value deducted from the outstanding balance due.

I then contacted AutoNation to schedule the inspection and had a third-party inspection company rep contact me a day later to schedule a meeting time (4-hour window in the morning or afternoon) at my home. The inspection took about 15 minutes at which time I turned in my keys, signed the transfer of liability form and received a bill of sale. The only odd part of the transaction is that AutoNation still has not picked up the vehicle, six days after the inspection and 10 days after I took delivery of my MS.

I'm planning to take my current car (2003 Porsche 911 Carrera 4 Cabriolet) to CarMax in the next few days. Do you guys think it's worth spending the money to get a quality detail before getting the quote, or is that just throwing money away that I won't get back through a higher valuation? Thanks for opinions!

Outcome of my 'trade-in', based on a KBB trade-in estimate of:

Excelllent - $31,025
V Good - $30,525
Good - $29,525
Average - $26,825

I'd rate the condition of it as excellent, arguably v good. Anyway, the results:

Autotrader: $27,096
CarMax: $23,000
Audi dealer: $29,000

I did list it on eBay during the time, but didn't get a sniff, so it's back off to the dealer.

I agree with lolachampcar, it's always worth making the car shine before an appraisal....I traded my wife's Dodge Caliber a few years ago, and it's condition, at best, was average, but we managed to get way over book price. That was with a VW dealer who spent about a minute looking at the car. My impression of CarMax is that they take the KBB value, then go hunting for reasons not to pay that amount, which means putting it on a ramp and looking at every nook and cranny. My current car was hit in the rear by a hit and run driver, and they were the only ones to notice that. As a result, they noted 'possible frame damage', and reduced the price accordingly (no accident damage is shown on any reports). That's BS, the rear bumper was replaced, but there was nothing structural. Other's have had a great experience at CarMax, so results vary by location I guess.

Thanks for listing the offers you got pete! I have a very similar car (2010 Audi A5 2.0T, 40K miles) and KBB gives me almost identical prices, so it's great to know more or less what to expect from different trade-in options once I'm ready to do this.

Apart from the detailing, do you guys think it would also make sense to bring the car to the body shop to fix some minor things before attempting trade-in? This is what I have in my particular case:

- A minor scratch on the side near the front of the car.
- A minor ding on the rear wheel well.
- A small nick on the windshield from flying freeway gravel.
- Somewhat deep scratches on one of the wheel rims from hitting the curb once.

I've never brought a car to the body shop so I have no idea if all of the above are fixable, or whether they would affect trade-in offers significantly if left untouched. Any pointers would be welcome.

Thanks for listing the offers you got pete! I have a very similar car (2010 Audi A5 2.0T, 40K miles) and KBB gives me almost identical prices, so it's great to know more or less what to expect from different trade-in options once I'm ready to do this.

Apart from the detailing, do you guys think it would also make sense to bring the car to the body shop to fix some minor things before attempting trade-in? This is what I have in my particular case:

- A minor scratch on the side near the front of the car.
- A minor ding on the rear wheel well.
- A small nick on the windshield from flying freeway gravel.
- Somewhat deep scratches on one of the wheel rims from hitting the curb once.

I've never brought a car to the body shop so I have no idea if all of the above are fixable, or whether they would affect trade-in offers significantly if left untouched. Any pointers would be welcome.

It depends on the approach of the company you're trying trade with. What would cost you a few hundred bucks to fix would cost a typical garage much less, but they could use it as an excuse to ding you on the valuation. We also have a lease car due back in a couple of months (my wife's Tiguan) which has road rash on 2 wheels, and a couple of door dings. I plan to get those fixed, otherwise I know I'll get screwed when I hand it back. I'd get your items fixed (aside from the windshield), I would have thought <$250 would cover it all, I'm no expert though.

My A5 was a 2009 3.2 S-line with $29k, but cosmetically and mechanically it really was as good as it gets for a car that old. Giving it back to the dealer saved me a bunch of hassle, and a bit of tax, since we technically traded it in for a Q5 for my wife (also got the loyalty discount). I assume they'll price it at around $34k, but will be interested to see.