Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trade in price upon purchase different from online quote

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

For those of you who traded in a car to Tesla, how consistent was the online trade in offer to what you were quoted online during the purchasing process? As in, did they adjust the quote down or up after inspecting, or did you just hand over the keys and receive exactly what was quoted?

Please refrain from comments about comparing offers to CarMax or private sale. That may be the best option for other cases, but I’m looking to deal only with Tesla during the transaction for ease, among other reasons.

Hi,

For those of you who traded in a car to Tesla, how consistent was the online trade in offer to what you were quoted online during the purchasing process? As in, did they adjust the quote down or up after inspecting, or did you just hand over the keys and receive exactly what was quoted?

Please refrain from comments about comparing offers to CarMax or private sale. That may be the best option for other cases, but I’m looking to deal only with Tesla during the transaction for ease, among other reasons.

I just traded in my 2015 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack, they gave me the exact amount quoted on their website. There was no inspection, I had was never contacted at all prior to taking delivery, just showed up and gave them the keys no questions asked.

Since I didn’t put the full trade-in value down on my Tesla Model 3 SR+, I’m actually still waiting on the rest I’m owed. They said they couldn’t write a check, it had to come direct from Tesla which they estimated at 30-45 days.

This applies to any trade-in or straight sale: If they quote a price on line and then give you that price without looking at the car, it means the price they quoted you was a low-ball offer. If you come back to them with a quote from CarMax and they match it, they know that CarMax checked out the car and they're trusting CarMax's inspector. Which is a good tip: Even if you have no intention of selling to CarMax, have them or another dealer actually look at your car and make an offer. Then you'll know if Tesla is low-balling you.

Reactions: NOLADriver
I got tesla’s offer, went to CarMax to get an offer. CarMax offered me more so I told Tesla and they matched it. It was a great use of an hour to get an extra $2,000 on the trade.
Ditto except is was only $500 but still $500 for an hour (and a guaranteed price match) of just walking around and looking at cars is NOT bad.:D

Sorry to resurrect this thread. I currently have an order in for a M3. I plan on trading in my vehicle. In my tesla account, tesla has a trade-in value at $13,995 without even seeing the car (not pictures or on-site inspection) and Carmax gave me an offer for $18k yesterday. That's a pretty big difference. Does Tesla look at trade-ins before finalizing their offer? I haven't brought the Carmax quote to the table yet in hopes Tesla comes in higher. Seems odd to me they can give a number without looking at something...

I got tesla’s offer, went to CarMax to get an offer. CarMax offered me more so I told Tesla and they matched it. It was a great use of an hour to get an extra $2,000 on the trade.

That's a great experience; I've heard it before and I don't want to discourage anybody from trying, but just for completeness: it doesn't always work that way.

When I was trading in one Model 3 for another, I got a CarMax quote. It was over $10k LESS than what Tesla offered me (plus in my state, by trading in to Tesla I would have gotten another $5k in sales tax waived). Going to CarMax was a waste of time for me. And when I sold my Roadster, while CarMax did offer more than Tesla, they still offered WAY under what I was able to sell the car for privately. The CarMax process is easy and the people there are nice, but so far I haven't gained anything by getting quotes from them. I guess except for validation that I should do something different...

My experience may have something to do with the fact that in both cases the car I was trading in was a Tesla. Then again, people usually complain about how low Tesla's trade-in offers are. Yes, they usually are; but not always. Tesla gave me a great offer on my first Model 3.

So, for the OP, I've never ended up trading in a Tesla. Although I did return a lease once; and while the paperwork talked about a bunch of stuff that would be inspected, in the end they just had me fill out a very brief self inspection form and grabbed the key from me without looking at the car. I would think (?) they would have a similar procedure for both cases. Although it may vary over time and depend on which sales office you visit.

When I traded my X3 in, they gave me exactly what they quoted online, which is basically how much they can get for it from Manheim Auction. They're not trying to make any money off of our old ICE, but they also don't want to lose any money either. Some people have gotten offers from CarMax which are better that they may match if it is valid (also within the 7 days) because they can just sell it back to CarMax for that exact price.

Sorry to resurrect this thread. I currently have an order in for a M3. I plan on trading in my vehicle. In my tesla account, tesla has a trade-in value at $13,995 without even seeing the car (not pictures or on-site inspection) and Carmax gave me an offer for $18k yesterday. That's a pretty big difference. Does Tesla look at trade-ins before finalizing their offer? I haven't brought the Carmax quote to the table yet in hopes Tesla comes in higher. Seems odd to me they can give a number without looking at something...

I took my Golf R to CarMax for a starting point and Tesla’s website offered $1000 more. I brought in both print outs and they matched CarMax. Never inspected the car or anything. They don’t care too much, it’s about moving units at this point.

If Tesla doesn’t want to give you X amount then take it to CarMax and sell it to them and go back to get your Tesla. Easy!

Traded my 3 for a new 3 and was offered about what the used market was going for so I went ahead. Day before pickup they asked for photos of each side of the car and the screen showing the VIN. When I dropped it off they didn’t even look at it.

Didn’t inspect my car at all. Hell they didn’t ask for both keys.

Tesla cars and non Tesla cars are valued differently all other things being equal.

There might be a chance Tesla resells the Tesla trade in. Others go straight to wholesaler.

Personally I think it’s foolish to not get as many quotes as you can. Pretty sure that you can generate a $500 differential with 5 hours of work.

Few people can generate 100 per hour on demand after tax.

Reactions: Bill Foster
They gave me exactly what was quoted. My BMW needed $4,000 of work to pass inspection and the check engine light has been on for 6 months. Tesla didn't care as long as it was in driveable condition and I could make it to the showroom. In fact, they told me to not do the work. The price wouldn't change.
The salesman had such a lack of interest in my trade-in that as I was driving out with my model 3 he asked me to roll my window down and point to where my trade-in was parked on the street lol. Zero inspection of it.