Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trading 1.5 month old Model y for Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Generally speaking you are better off selling your car to someone other than Tesla. They really don't want your car and it shows. I ordered an X plaid, and put my 21 SR in for trade valuation, but I am expecting they come back with a low-ball. I'll likely sell to carvana or private party.

Reactions: ggunn9
Just test drove the X today since our Y order hasn't matched to a VIN yet.

I thought I'd hate the yoke. I actually liked the yoke. Turn signals were fine, but screen based gear selector was not fun to deal with in parking lot situations.

Even with the tax credit it's still a 24k premium over the Y, and we don't need the space. It was definitely a more premium experience, but I'm not sure I want to pay 24k more.

It IS an overnight discount of close to 30,000 frigging dollars though, and that is a very very tempting fact. Need to sleep on it some more.

P.S. "Insane" acceleration mode was ridiculously enjoyable.

I bought MY 1.5 month old and with recent price drop on Model X was interested in Model X. Not sure how this works, does tesla give a good value for tradeins like this?
Not really, no.
Any other ideas?
Decide to sell the car, or not, like any other vehicle transaction. This is not any different than contemplating any other sale of a used car you have ever owned.

Its kind of like, if you own a house and all of a sudden housing prices go down, and you think " Oh wow, this means I can buy in the neighborhood I had my eyes on"... .well, if you have to also sell your current house, Its gonna be worth less as well.

If your house is suddenly worth more (like houses were about a year ago during the height of covid), and you are thinking "man I should sell to cash in", unless you can exit the market and sit on the sidelines till it corrects, you are going to sell your house for more, then give a lot (or all) of it back when you buy another house thats also overpriced.

Unless you got a smokin deal on your current car, you are going to lose money on that transaction, its just a matter of how much, and is it worth it to you.

The era of flipping Model Y's for fun and profit has already passed.

We are now at a time of paying sales tax twice to buy any Tesla and then swap it to something else, which is a lot less fun

Switch if you need. Accept that you'll take at least a 10% overall hit on the transaction

1. Know your MY trade in value before making the decision. Chances are the number is much less than you expect. Showrooms near me are having 4K markdown on the new coming soon inventories.

2. Only the most basic model X qualifies the federal tax credit. Once you add 6 or 7 seats, the msrp would exceed the max limit.

1. Know your MY trade in value before making the decision. Chances are the number is much less than you expect. Showrooms near me are having 4K markdown on the new coming soon inventories.

2. Only the most basic model X qualifies the federal tax credit. Once you add 6 or 7 seats, the msrp would exceed the max limit.

Good point. In general the choice of a Model X over a Model S is the added seatting capability,
otherwise why to bother having the falcon door extra weight and complexity, and lesser driving range.

However, I wonder if a 5-seat could easily been upgraded to a 7-seat using parts from a totaled Model X?
Maybe it would not be simple to add the air vents, but installing the seats and seat belt should be straight forward.
Would this be legal anyway, or would such FIY upgrade require some kind of certication from the DMV to get a valid car Insurrance?

Last edited: