Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trading in 2018 X75D for Raven Perf X - Compare/Contrast

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It’s not a second regen brake. It’s your parking brake; I think it’s also used for holding the vehicle if your foot is not on the brake. The regen brake is just the motors working as generators. It may be that the larger motor doesn’t use the regular brakes for this.

Vehicle hold while in Drive/Reverse does not use the parking brake; the car uses the iBooster to hold the main hydraulic brake circuits engaged just like your foot was on the pedal.

Agree with the rest of your post. :)

Reactions: spectrum
Agreed - at regular cruising speed, it almost feels effortless compared to my 75D.

Can some one post the trip computer numbers on a Raven X after a long trip at 70mph?

Our 75D X at 70mph exactly as measured by time traveled and distance covered consumption is just above 3 miles per kWh.

I've read somewhere the efficiency of the Raven is at lower/urban speeds, and not that much at 60mph+.

Could a Raven owner post some data on actual consumption across trips?

42801048185_19f013c331_z_d.jpg

I’ve been married for 40 years, how about you?

Let’s be honest. Range wasn’t the reason you wanted to upgrade from 75D. You wanted Performance, which is fine. But you told your wife (or yourself) it was range to justify it.

I have a Model 3 Performance. I just sold it for a non Performance X. It only cost me $5K on the Model 3. No way I’d waste $20K for something I could rarely ever use.

It’s all relative. If you could get 325 out of a Performance X you should probably get 300 out of your 75D. And you’d probably get 350 out of a LR X non performance. You are the one that started the thread off with range being the primary reason for the upgrade. You are contradicting yourself.

I personally rather have the range.

Enjoy.

Cool. Not sure why you are pushing OP on their financial decision/personal choice.

You are comparing a pre-Raven car to a Raven car, so relativity doesn't apply. Moving from a pre-raven MX75D to a Raven Performance, will certainly gain range.

Reactions: Alex D and Mcstatic
F5774FE6-2B1E-464D-8796-DF839C395544.png
F5774FE6-2B1E-464D-8796-DF839C395544.png
F5774FE6-2B1E-464D-8796-DF839C395544.png While the entire trip wasn’t 70mph, that’s what I had my cruise control set to so between the 4 miles from my house to the interstate and a little traffic my average speed was 54. I averaged 288 Wh/m in my raven LR.

Can some one post the trip computer numbers on a Raven X after a long trip at 70mph?

Our 75D X at 70mph exactly as measured by time traveled and distance covered consumption is just above 3 miles per kWh.

I've read somewhere the efficiency of the Raven is at lower/urban speeds, and not that much at 60mph+.

Reactions: VikH and gangzoom
^ Thanks, do you have an higher average speed trip for more info?

At an average speed of 53mph our 75D X returns 287Wh/mile, so nearly identical to your trip at 54mph average.

Really interested to see sustained 70mph figures, which is when range matters the most.

Would love to see if the Raven Xs can hit sub 300Wh/mile at 70mph?

29833952648_2aaffc2068_z_d.jpg

So I just looked up the EPA ratings for our 2017 75DX and current 2019 LR X...

75D highway is 95mpg

2019 LR X highway is 93mpg

On city ratings the 2019 is much better at 99 versus 91.

But according to the EPA ratings at higher speeds the Raven drivetrain appears to make little difference?

So I just looked up the EPA ratings for our 2017 75DX and current 2019 LR X...

75D highway is 95mpg

2019 LR X highway is 93mpg

On city ratings the 2019 is much better at 99 versus 91.

But according to the EPA ratings at higher speeds the Raven drivetrain appears to make little difference?

You should be comparing a 100D to a Raven LR not a 75D.

A 100D is 87 mixed 86 city 89 highway

You should be comparing a 100D to a Raven LR not a 75D.

A 100D is 87 mixed 86 city 89 highway

OP is comparing a 75D to a Raven performance:).

I'm still yet to see any proof the Raven can actually deliver that much more road trip range at faster speeds compared to previous motor design. Tesla once again I think have over promised and under delivered.

300Wh/mile at 70mph would be a 10% improvement for the X, what Wh/mile are Raven owners seeing at 70mph?

I'm still yet to see any proof the Raven can actually deliver that much more road trip range at faster speeds compared to previous motor design. Tesla once again I think have over promised and under delivered.

300Wh/mile at 70mph would be a 10% improvement for the X, what Wh/mile are Raven owners seeing at 70mph?

You keep comparing mixed fruit.

The 100D highway was 89 and the LR (100D) Raven highway is 99, what else do you want?

The 75D did a little better than 100D because it wasn't as heavy.

300 Wh/mile would be about right for my Ludicrous Raven X at 70 mph. I don't have a lot of pure samples, because I mostly on take pictures at the end of legs, and they tend to be contaminated by slower speed segments of road construction and heavy traffic somewhere along the way, so the average pace is substantially lower than the majority of the run.

Here's one 3 hour drive in desert summer sun that's mostly at 70 mph, with a slight altitude gain and an excursion to speeds well above anything I should admit to while passing a pack of slower traffic on a two lane road - and some stop and go on the outskirts of Vegas on the ring road they're constructing to slow it down a little:

IMG_2586.JPG

This one I have mixed minds about showing. It looks amazing, and did really impress me all things considered - I know my X75D wouldn't have managed it, but the basic leg speed is 80 mph in the deserts of southern Utah and the descent into Saint George causes it to look somewhat better than it really is:

IMG_2567.JPG

• Informative
Reactions: VikH and gangzoom
Nope, only got the car Saturday. Lol. I will have a long distance trip in a couple of weeks though.

^ Thanks, do you have an higher average speed trip for more info?

At an average speed of 53mph our 75D X returns 287Wh/mile, so nearly identical to your trip at 54mph average.

Really interested to see sustained 70mph figures, which is when range matters the most.

Would love to see if the Raven Xs can hit sub 300Wh/mile at 70mph?

29833952648_2aaffc2068_z_d.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: ICUDoc
300 Wh/mile would be about right for my Ludicrous Raven X at 70 mph. I don't have a lot of pure samples, because I mostly on take pictures at the end of legs, and they tend to be contaminated by slower speed segments of road construction and heavy traffic somewhere along the way, so the average pace is substantially lower than the majority of the run.

Here's one 3 hour drive in desert summer sun that's mostly at 70 mph, with a slight altitude gain and an excursion to speeds well above anything I should admit to while passing a pack of slower traffic on a two lane road - and some stop and go on the outskirts of Vegas on the ring road they're constructing to slow it down a little:

View attachment 454466

This one I have mixed minds about showing. It looks amazing, and did really impress me all things considered - I know my X75D wouldn't have managed it, but the basic leg speed is 80 mph in the deserts of southern Utah and the descent into Saint George causes it to look somewhat better than it really is:

View attachment 454467

Great info thanks!

Half of the stuff you guys are all arguing about is pointless, because there is no credibility in someone saying a Performance Raven (with 20" wheels) is more or less efficient than a pre-Raven 75D (with 22" wheels).

The only valid comparisons would be a pre-Raven P100D <---> Performance Raven, or a pre-Raven 100D <---> Long Range Raven, and both vehicles having the same rim size/weight.

No doubt, the Raven is definitely more efficient than non-Raven.

But when we're talking about how much, we have to compare apples to apples.

Everything else is anecdotal.

Reactions: Blup85 and mswlogo
The 100D X's range was about 300 miles before. Now it's 325 miles (from Tesla's site, going from memory). That's a 10% improvement in range over all. That's good.

I think an older X sees a typical average of 370Wh/mile - giving a range of 270 miles.

Tesla used 340Wh/mile to get to 300 miles. Tesla must be using ≈305Wh/mile to determine a 325 mile Raven range.

I suspect a
typical Raven will average higher than 305 (but far lower than 370).

The 100D X's range was about 300 miles before. Now it's 325 miles (from Tesla's site, going from memory). That's a 10% improvement in range over all. That's good.

I think an older X sees a typical average of 370Wh/mile - giving a range of 270 miles.

Tesla used 340Wh/mile to get to 300 miles. Tesla must be using ≈305Wh/mile to determine a 325 mile Raven range.

I suspect a
typical Raven will average higher than 305 (but far lower than 370).

You're not listening - that's exactly what half this thread has been about.

My 2016 X75D used 308 Wh per mile internally. My Ludicrous Raven uses 320.

But my Raven runs about ten percent lower than my 75D did in similar conditions - it is way, way easier to match rated range on the Raven.

My lifetime average for the moment is 307 Wh per mile, including a lot of higher speeds out west (but no winter driving yet, of course.) My three year average on the 75D was 330...

I am in a similar situation/predicament and I having trouble deciding between the choices.
This is the price in USD in Taiwan

1) 2018 Model X P100D (MCU1) = $90k this is Tesla press car with less than 5000 miles, relatively new, tesla will treat it as a new car
2) 2019 Model X Long Rang = $120k
3) 2019 Model X Performance = $140k

To OP and everyone: is it worth the above mentioned price difference for the air suspension, MCU2, motor upgrade for Raven? Or should I just keep driving ICE and wait for plaid?