TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Trading in Model S for a 3: Tesla-CPO candidate or Third Party?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by canyondrive, Aug 1, 2017.

1. canyondrive

canyondrive Member

I think my MS 70D AP1 would qualify for a CPO, but I vaguely understand you don't get top dollar trading in cars at Tesla stores. The cars people traded in might have been non-Teslas though. Would that be the case for CPO-candidate Teslas as well?

I know people would value CPOs more than Teslas at buy here pay here lots, but if Tesla bites me so hard and make it a CPO there is no benefit for me trading in at Tesla.

I know I get more if I were to sell cars on my own, I did before and it was annoying. I don't have time/patience/social skills to go through private sale, but I was thinking of using one of those new online used car brokers instead. If they don't work, then I guess CarMax. I could trade it in at Tesla since I'm getting another Tesla if they appraise well, but I have a feeling others come higher.

Anybody have similar experience or opinions?

2. skitch23

skitch23 Member

You can always get more selling via private party. If you opt to trade it in, get a quote from Carmax as Tesla is likely to match it. That way you at least get the benefit of paying slightly less tax on your new ride.