Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trailer recommendations please (for Model-Y)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

WannabeOwner

Nov 2, 2015
Suffolk, UK
Not owned a trailer before. Changed to Model-Y to, now, get rid of the ICE people carrier - no longer needed for Uber-ing kids and their chums around, as ours have grown up, so its relegated to hauling rash eBay purchases. So basically I want a trailer that can take large / awkward shaped objects, and also logs / rubbish to the dump. As such I think that big-ish is better, but I have no idea what size would be a sensible compromise - presumably big is also more of a handful to tow etc.

Also no idea how much weight such a trailer could haul as cargo - for example, when fetching logs the more the merrier .... but I could hire a flat bed for that job, once a year.

Thanks

I've owned two recently - an Ifor Williams GD84 with one axle. This takes sheet material in it flat (8x4) and is also allowed to be taken in local dumps for rubbish - although they did not like too much in it at a time!
I then upgraded to an ifor Williams GD85. I found that I was transporting larger/heavier stuff and this one was twin axle. I liked the thought of an extra axle in case of puncture etc.. I was buying a lot of stone/gravel for gardening projects and it was great for a couple of small tractors (ebay).. The 8x5 was great- the extra width is useful for those large purchases but not really completely necessary for me. Twin Axle is not allowed in the local tips though.

I am toying with the idea of a tipping trailer next time but I will see about the costs..

Both my ifors have returned the same money as I paid for them after a few years due to price increases and generally good residuals.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
I have a tipper, I think it's an Erde 193. Had it for many years, only occasional use - mostly trips to the dump, some with huge amounts of weight in it. It's brill, though I think nowadays they are quite expensive. Erde 193 is about £1200 and can lug 600kg. It's got a removable tailgate and 6x3ft bed with a single torsion beam suspended axle.

MY can tow 1600kg which includes the weight of the trailer, something to bear in mind when considering a larger trailer.

Thanks. Just for reference I lifted this off the Ifor Williams site

IForWilliamsSpec.gif

I want a trailer that can take large / awkward shaped objects, and also logs / rubbish to the dump
Being able to take rubbish to the 'household recycling centre' varies by county. I'm in Wiltshire and our HRC is quite permissive in that it accepts trailers with a bed of less than 1.8m (can go larger trailers with a permit). I think other councils are less friendly and it's really worth checking the requirements.

We don't use ours often, but when we do we are very glad we have it. As regards putting your cr@p in the boot of the MY... well, I'd rather not dirty it up if it was my brand new car...

I came across this other thread (towing with M3) and it has useful info about trailed weight / plate etc.