Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trak 4x4 Snow Chains

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A couple of weeks ago I ordered the Trak 4x4 chains for our Model X. At that time the Tesla website said that they were compatible with 19" and 20" wheels on the Model X. When I received them, the Tesla literature included with the chains said they only fit the 19" Cyclone and 20" Helix wheels. Since we have the 20" Silver Cyclone wheels the chains do not fit. I emailed Tesla online sales and brought this to their attention. Since then they have changed the shopping website to say that the chains are only compatible with the 19" Cyclone and 20" Helix wheels. This is good for future buyers of the Model X and the Trak chains, but not so good for me.

The main issue is that there is a 21 mm socket installed on the chains that are meant to fit the 21 mm lug nuts on the 19" Cyclone or 20" Helix wheels. The 20" Cyclone uses a lug nut that is larger (it seems to be 1" or about 25 mm). Does anyone know if I can SAFELY use the 21 mm lug nuts with the 20" Cyclone wheel? If so, I can just swap out the lug nuts without having to spend thousands to upgrade to the Helix wheels.

The Wheel Lock Set sold on the Tesla shopping website under the Model S tab says that it is compatible with both the Model S and the Model X. This implies that the threads are identical for all the wheels. Is that correct?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

I heard back from Tesla Online Orders:

Thank you for your patience while we verified information on your behalf. Although, the chains are only recommended for the 19” Cyclone and 20” Helix wheels, to use them with the current 20” standard wheels on your Model X, you will have to remove the lug nut cap so the 21 mm socket can directly hold the lug nut.

We apologize for any inconvenience. Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.

I fashioned a lug nut cap remover from some sheet metal that I had laying around. It only took a couple of minutes and I was able to pop off the cap with very little force. So I think this is going to work. I will try the chains as soon as I can.

After removing the appropriate lug nut caps, I installed the chains today and they worked great. With practice it just takes a couple of minutes to put them on and a minute to take them off. Most of the time will be spent putting them in and taking them out of the bag. Of course, the real test will be on snow and ice.

You can purchase these exact same chains on line. The only difference is that Tesla assembles the parts for the Model X and included a Tesla specific little manual - which didn't say much. See attached photos from the set I bought from Tesla, which include the model number "LT51." You can find them on eBay for $313 with free shipping to US. I wish I had done this as it would have saved me $187.

IMG_0606.jpg
IMG_0607.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: hiroshiy
The chains I bought from Tesla came with instructions from Maggi and supplemental instructions from Tesla. I did a trail run and decided to create my own instructions, in English only, and with a type font big enough to see at night on the side of the road.

NOTE: the chains from Tesla do NOT come with a little tool to remove the plastic lug nut caps which are on the standard 20 inch silver wheels. I had to buy one on-line.

You can purchase these exact same chains on line. The only difference is that Tesla assembles the parts for the Model X and included a Tesla specific little manual - which didn't say much. See attached photos from the set I bought from Tesla, which include the model number "LT51." You can find them on eBay for $313 with free shipping to US. I wish I had done this as it would have saved me $187.

View attachment 204406 View attachment 204407

Link?

Let me know if you want the instructions I created that combined both the Maggi and Tesla instructions into one document in a large enough font to read at night.

@carlshome That would be much appreciated! I just purchased the Maggi LT51s from Quality Chain Corp after being unable to get them from Tesla, eBay or anywhere else: LT51 - Quick Trak Light Truck | Quality Chain Corp

Although they are now in stock at Tesla's store, you can save about $100 over shipped cost from Tesla from Quality Chain Corp...

• Informative
Reactions: TechVP
One thing that's a little concerning on the Maggi LT51 box is that the supported tire size chart doesn't actually show my size tires. I purchased standard 20" wheels from Tesla, they are 275/45-20. Hopefully these really are the same exact model Tesla is selling. :)

@carlshome That would be much appreciated! I just purchased the Maggi LT51s from Quality Chain Corp after being unable to get them from Tesla, eBay or anywhere else: LT51 - Quick Trak Light Truck | Quality Chain Corp

Although they are now in stock at Tesla's store, you can save about $100 over shipped cost from Tesla from Quality Chain Corp...

tsw4life,

Attached is a link to a DropBox folder that contains the Model X Chain Installation Instructions I created using information from both Tesla and the Chain manufacturer.

Please note these instructions do NOT contain any of the warnings or safety information. Please read the instructions that came with the chains so you are aware of all potential hazards.

Tesla Model X Chain Installation .pdf file:
Dropbox - TeslaChains

The chains do NOT come with a tool to remove the lug nut cover. The tool that Audi includes with their cars will work. Here is a link:
Amazon.com: Genuine Audi 8D0012244A Wheel Bolt Cap Removal Tool: Automotive

BTW, I printed these pages on glossy photo paper, then took it to a FedEx office store and laminated the pages. I was glad I did last week when I had to put my chains on in wet snowy conditions. The lamination really did the job and the instructions will last forever.

Good luck out there in the snow.

Carl

I went to ebay.com and searched for "Maggi LT51"' and came up with this link:
TRAK AUTO 4x4 SUV SNOW CHAIN CHAINES A NEIGE SCHNEEKETTE MAGGI 205/80-16 LT51 | eBay

Let me know if you want the instructions I created that combined both the Maggi and Tesla instructions into one document in a large enough font to read at night.

Dear @carlshome ,
Thank you so much for your infomation as well as easy-easy-to understand installation guide.

One quick question. My Model X has

Dear @tsw4life ,
My rear tire is also 275/45-20, and in your Quality Chain Corp page link, it does not say LT51 covers 275/45-20, but another product called LT52 lists 275/45-20. Since Tesla manual says LT51 is tested, I hope it's OK, but could you tell me if LT51 worked ok for your car?

FYI - Maggigroup's cataloge also says that not LT51 but LT52 that covers 275/45-20 (page 26 in the pdf) so I am a little confused.
http://www.maggigroup.com/pdf/Snowchain_eng_2015.pdf

Thank you for your advice!

Dear @carlshome ,
Thank you so much for your infomation as well as easy-easy-to understand installation guide.

One quick question. My Model X has

Dear @tsw4life ,
My rear tire is also 275/45-20, and in your Quality Chain Corp page link, it does not say LT51 covers 275/45-20, but another product called LT52 lists 275/45-20. Since Tesla manual says LT51 is tested, I hope it's OK, but could you tell me if LT51 worked ok for your car?

FYI - Maggigroup's cataloge also says that not LT51 but LT52 that covers 275/45-20 (page 26 in the pdf) so I am a little confused.
http://www.maggigroup.com/pdf/Snowchain_eng_2015.pdf

Thank you for your advice!

Great research by everyone here. That's an interesting find on the Maggi catalog.

Based on my quick calculation, the standard Model X 20" tire diameter is 29.74". The two 20" tire size supported by LT51 is 29.65" and 29.29" in diameter, so less than half an inch off, which isn't very much. I am sure Tesla tested both and found the LT51 fits better. My guess is due to the greater weight, the tire deforms more than typical SUV wearing the same tire size. Therefore the actual diameter is smaller, which require the tire chain (LT51) that normally fit slightly smaller diameter tires.

Diameter
LT52
275 45 20 29.74" (Model X tire size)
255 50 20 30.04
255 45 20 29.04
265 45 20 29.39

LT51
245 50 20 29.65"
295 40 20 29.29"

• Informative
Reactions: hiroshiy
BTW, the best price I found for the Maggi LT51 is from Amazon UK: Maggi Trak4x4LT51 Snow Chains Maggi Trak 4 x 4 -SUV Type LT51

£292.72, which oddly dropped to £243.93 once added to the shopping cart.. perhaps it is because VAT is not charged for none EU customer? Another oddity is the faster AmazonGlobal Priority shipping is less expensive than Standard by £30!

The final total is £266.51 which is around $343 after converting to USD. There is only 2 left after I ordered.

Order Summary
Items: GBP 243.93
Postage & Packing: GBP 22.58
Total before VAT: GBP 266.51
VAT: GBP 0.00
(Order Total: GBP 266.51)

Payment Total: USD 343.13

I think the idea of chains is awesome. Good luck.

That being said, this is why I own a military slantback HUMMWV and a modified Dodge Durango, and I'm rebuilding a 1975 and a 1981 set of Diesel Landcruisers with 35" wheels.

I f I need chains, I ain't breakin' out my P100D. I'm afraid the fascia will get ripped up.

I've seen deep snow rip front and rear fascia on other vehicles I owned in the past. Given Tesla body repairs are costly and time consuming, I'm not sure driving in deep snow is a great idea.

I hope the OP has better luck than I have had in the past.

Best,

T