Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Transferring personal plate in the UK

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
no they register it with a normal plate then when you get the V5C you can allocate your plate to the car. I do not think you can first register the car with a cherished plate. Mine arrives today and so i'll let you know how long it takes.. important to note (reading other threads) that the plates on tesla are not your normal plates and the front one is tricky to replace due to bend and frame mount...

Tesla Birmingham have advised its £15+VAT for one plate so £36 in total not sure about fitting cost

Tesla printed some free personal plates for me and put them in the boot, but had to wait a couple of weeks for the V5 to arrive before I could add them to the car.
I asked them if they would do this for me and was told “we do not make plates at the delivery centres so cannot accommodate this request”.

I don’t know why they don’t support registering into cherished from new, every other new car I’ve had the dealership registered the car straight onto my plates. It’s quite annoying.

Agree that things may have moved on. My experience is that I bought my first Tesla (pre-owned) in September 2016. Tesla Birmingham made up suitable plates with my cherished number and fitted them FOC once I had made the necessary transfer. Inter3esting that the only 'fail' on my MOT in November 2018 was that two of the numbers on the plate they supplied were 8mm too close together. Not sure whether this was new regulation or what. When I changed in June 2019, Tesla transferred the cherished number from the old to the new MS and I collected the car fully registered and adorned.

As an aside, my own experience with Tesla Birmingham over the course of the last 5 years+ has been absolutely exemplary. Matters concerning them have been arranging repair for an accident (not my fault), replacement door handle, a new rear motor and car completely immobilised due to a software update glitch.

Reactions: mesh1o1
My local BMW dealer registered two new cars for me with a personal plate, but Tesla Southampton refused. It is easy to do by yourself and there is no extra cost - you just keep the Tesla registered plates for when you sell the car as the original number will go back on the car when you put your cherished number on retention.