Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trash cans gone from FSD 12.3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I disengaged when my 2020 MY with FSD 12.3.3 was getting a bit too close to some trash cans for comfort... then I noticed that the trash cans weren't showing on the FSD display. I know they used to... anyone else notice this?
Trash cans are visible on the instrument panel in my 2022 MSLR running firmware 2024.3.20/FSDS 12.3.3.
1000028892.jpg

I'm pulling out of my garage in the picture. To the left is our other car. Straight ahead are my neighbor's trash cans.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Dameon and rmeden
No cones displayed either. But it doesn't really matter, on V12 the visualizations are just eye candy for you, the driving doesn't use that data.
Of course the driving uses that data. That's why the car won't try to enter a lane blocked off by cones. :)

I noticed that although construction barrels are no longer shown as cones, they are shown as the same grey blobs that Parking Assist uses to show obstacles, so the car sees them. This was on v12.3.2.1 -- I just installed v12.3.3 (2024.3.10) today, so I'll see if that's different.

Of course the driving uses that data.
The car does not use the data that is used for the visualizations. That is why you will sometimes see a person displayed in the visualizations that isn't there and it will drive right through them. Or other times where it will drive around something that isn't displayed on the screen. It appears that they are completely separate now.

Remember the end-to-end NN driving the car does not know what a stop sign, cone, traffic light, person, car, etc. is. It just knows when I see something that looks like "this", I should do "that".

That is why all of the little notices, "stopping for traffic light", etc., are gone. Because the E3E NN doesn't know why it is doing what it is doing, so it can't tell you.

• Funny
Reactions: zoomer0056
Remember the end-to-end NN driving the car does not know what a stop sign, cone, traffic light, person, car, etc. is. It just knows when I see something that looks like "this", I should do "that".
A facetious reaction: I cant recognize what this wording means, but it makes me laugh.

So, when it "sees" a stop sign, it can't "decide" if it's a stop sign but "it knows" it should stop.

Maybe explain what you mean in a different way.

So, when it "sees" stop sign, it can't "decide" if it's a stop sign but "it knows" it should stop.

Are you saying that anytime it decides to stop that it should say it is stopping for a stop sign? It stops for many things, not all of them are stop signs. A pedestrian in the way, a box, a car, a stop light, a fence, a gate, a stop sign, etc. all result in the same action. But it has no idea what any of those things are.

Maybe explain what you mean in a different way.
I don't really know any other way to say it. It has no vocabulary. It knows zero words.