Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Travelling in Italy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Soul Surfer

Cancervivor, tech geek & musician
IMG_0879.jpeg
Travelling from Barolo to Milano. We stopped at an Autogrill for a quick bite. Interesting to see the SuperChargers are CCS. We are so used to NACS. Très cool.

CCS2 but I think NACS is way better design

Most of Italy's superchargers are outside of the autostrada I believe which isn't ideal for road trips however they have many other DC CCS2 chargers along at the rest stops

How do you like those TOLL charges?
Pretty expensive and electricity isn't cheap either but it doesn't the Italians from travelling!

CCS2 but I think NACS is way better design

Most of Italy's superchargers are outside of the autostrada I believe which isn't ideal for road trips however they have many other DC CCS2 chargers along at the rest stops

How do you like those TOLL charges?
Pretty expensive and electricity isn't cheap either but it doesn't the Italians from travelling!
We are travelling as a group, in a large Mercedes van. This is part of a trip that we try to do annually, with our Italian teacher. It is remarkable that there are so many electric vehicles here in Italy, but not a surprise.

We drove Spain and Portugal last June 2022 for 2 weeks. We had hoped to rent a model 3 from Hertz, but found the insurance rates and deposit twice that of an ice vehicle. We saw very few Teslas on the road and even fewer charging stops. In hindsight a 3 is too small for three people and luggage, that annoying trunk brace takes up too much room. We ended up with an Audi 3 SUV diesel, 1000 km in eco mode. Can't beat that. We paid 1.56 euro a litre at Costco.
Unfortunately successful EV travelling in Europe is very country specific.

Let me try to translate!

$8.39 a gallon before highway taxes?

I do have to ask. While your group is touring Italy, you're touring Tesla Super Chargers? I mean, they all look alike.

For all we know, you took that picture in Kansas

View attachment 984496
I’ll be sure to put visual queues on my next shot. But I think you could check the meta data. We’re on our annual immersive trip with our Italian teacher and stopped at this Autogrill which just so happed to have these SuperChargers. Just Rand on our way to Monza.

IMG_0901.png

I’ll be sure to put visual queues on my next shot. But I think you could check the meta data. We’re on our annual immersive trip with our Italian teacher and stopped at this Autogrill which just so happed to have these SuperChargers. Just Rand on our way to Monza.

View attachment 984548
The Dual Handle design is a dead giveaway it’s in Europe. Those stations have CCS2 and Mennekes/Type 2 connectors.

I seriously considered a Hertz Model 3 for our trip to Italy in May but opted out as the supercharging infrastructure was not conveniently located. We put 3,000 km on the rental vehicle and counted 5 Tesla vehicles on the whole trip and at the many Auto Grill’s we stopped of at, did not see any electric vehicles charging. Our view at the conclusion of the trip is Italy has a LONG way to go to begin any sort of energy transition. Disappointing.

Reactions: CFinVancouver
View attachment 984331Travelling from Barolo to Milano. We stopped at an Autogrill for a quick bite. Interesting to see the SuperChargers are CCS. We are so used to NACS. Très cool.

When Tesla launched in Europe they couldn't import NACS because residential 3-phase power is common there, but the amp limits on any single phase are so low that people would be stuck at 7 kW if using a single-phase connector like NACS. Instead they used the standard 3-phase Mennekes connector, but imported NACS' trick of sharing pins for both AC and DC to enable supercharging without a second connector or additional pins. Neutral plus one line pin were one DC pole, with the other two line pins the opposite pole. Apparently the Mennekes pin diameters limited that scheme to 150 kW though, so when the 3 and Y launched in Europe they adopted CCS2. Now Superchargers there offer both a Mennekes plug for the original European Model S and X, and CCS2 for newer Teslas.

Last edited: