Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trial of Autopilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just received an email from Tesla today about inquiring them on when I was going to offered the Autopilot trial:

"Thank you for your interest in experiencing the Autopilot and Full Self-Driving trial. We have suspended all Autopilot Trials due to an issue with our website. We are working to roll out a new trial soon to all cars that currently have no Autopilot software installed. We will advise as soon as that new trial is ready, and please follow our social media and subscribe to our newsletter for any other information."

I feel like very time I contact Tesla the story changes and there's always a different excuse. Its exhausting and at this point there is no merit to anything that Tesla says.

I also took delivery (TM3 SR+) on 3/23 and my trial started within a couple of days. It was supposed to be for 60 days but ended with some 20+ days remaining. But I had already stopped using most of it. The features have potential but not there yet and certainly not worth more than $5k combined for both packages. I enjoy driving and changing lanes myself rather than watch the car try to make those decisions.

Anyone has had an offer to tryout the Autopilot for cars ordered after the March 1st changes.

If so what was the price that was offered for you to add that feature at the end of the trial.

Also, was the trial offered was including the features that where previously included in the EAP, such as ALC, or just the AP (TACC and Autosteer) ?

Juggling with the idea to add it before or after delivery and the advantage/disadvantages associated with each scenario.

Thanks for sharing your experiences.
Hi Bruno, I am new to TMC. I just picked up my Model 3 on April 25th. I got auto pilot, thinking it would include land change assist. Sadly, it did not. I wish I had it.

JimRVA

Reactions: willow_hiller
Hey Model 3 folks. I don't mean to belly ache, but my delivery experience was disappointing. Maybe my timing was unfortunate.

I took a test drive in early to mid March 2019
-during the test drive the kid says "push down twice (put it in auto pilot), then hit the turn signal" the car changed lanes for me!!
-I loved it. I said "I have to have auto pilot" Later in test drive the kid tells me about FSD, summoning, self park etc. I say "too much, just AP please." Wish I had ordered that day. Spent a couple weeks getting 240 in my garage, checking with insurance, etc.
-by the time I ordered on 4/19 the price had gone up, it was not a simple increase. it cost me a little less to get gray paint, but overall to get the same overall package it cost me a couple thousand more. so i accepted my poor timing and paid, not knowing I was also getting less car.
And nobody told me about it unfortunately.
-i pick up the car on Thursday, 4/25. the delivery girl gets to auto pilot and it is not there. she says "you paid for auto pilot. don't worry we will download it for you in a few hours" I take the car, and love it. I show the car off all weekend, and tell folks "its going to change lanes for me once I get my auto pilot download."
It takes FIVE days before I get my download. I check auto pilot and it appears to be there, but when I get on the highway and hit the turn signal, the car doesn't change lanes for me. I call the delivery girl, and she says "lane change is not part of auto pilot any more, its part of FSD." I say "that's not the car I bought"
-To date the manager hasn't been able to help me. He says "what would satisfy you?" i say "lane change assist." They say "we cant give you just lane change assist, we would have to give you the full FSD and Elon doesn't like to do that."

Any suggestions on how to get them to make it right? The car is supposed to get better, right? It sure is great fun to drive!!

Hey Model 3 folks. I don't mean to belly ache, but my delivery experience was disappointing. Maybe my timing was unfortunate.

-during the test drive the kid says "push down twice (put it in auto pilot), then hit the turn signal" the car changed lanes for me!!
-I loved it. I said "I have to have auto pilot" Later in test drive the kid tells me about FSD, summoning, self park etc. I say "too much, just AP please." Wish I had ordered that day. Spent a couple weeks getting 240 in my garage, checking with insurance, etc.
-by the time I ordered on 4/19 the price had gone up, it was not a simple increase. it cost me a little less to get gray paint, but overall to get the same overall package it cost me a couple thousand more. so i accepted my poor timing and paid, not knowing I was also getting less car.
-i pick up the car on Thursday, 4/25. the delivery girl gets to auto pilot and it is not there. she says "you paid for auto pilot. don't worry we will download it for you in a few hours" I take the car, and love it. I show the car off all weekend, and tell folks "its going to change lanes for me once I get my auto pilot download."
It takes FIVE days before I get my download. I check auto pilot and it appears to be there, but when I get on the highway and hit the turn signal, the car doesn't change lanes for me. I call the delivery girl, and she says "lane change is not part of auto pilot any more, its part of FSD." I say "that's not the car I bought"
-To date the manager hasn't been able to help me. He says "what would satisfy you?" i say "lane change assist." They say "we cant give you just lane change assist, we would have to give you the full FSD and Elon doesn't like to do that."

Any suggestions on how to get them to make it right? The car is supposed to get better, right? It sure is great fun to drive!!

That does sound like a frustrating experience, Jim! I think the fellow who gave you a test-drive was speaking from past experiences, since auto lane change used to be included in a software package called "Enhanced Auto Pilot" which no longer exists. The guy who gave us our test-drive got drafted in from Solar City to boost car sales at the end of March; he was enthusiastic but also didn't know some of the basic details of the new SR+.

I would maybe try and ask them for something they'd actually be able to deliver on. Maybe a set of all-weather floor mats or something of the like. Otherwise my only other advice is to wait for a sale on Full-Self Driving. You'll get the lane changes, plus some useful extras like summon and Navigate on Autopilot now, and hopefully city driving and Enhanced Summon in the near future.

Hmm sounds like I drew the hort end of hte stick as my trial was only 14 days.
Car was delivered on 03.24.19 & didn't get AP trial until 04.21.19 via software update.
Then 14 days later poofed - gone.
So really never had a fair shot to access.

Sorry to hear about your experience. Unfortunately Tesla salespeople get stuff wrong far more frequently then they get it right. The knowledge level of the average Tesla salesperson is quite poor and they often mislead you by guessing about things they are not familiar with. It’s important to learn all you can about the car you are thinking about buying by coming to places like this forum rather than relying on Tesla to answer your questions. Everybody on this forum knows that AP does not include lane changes.

I’m not sure what you can ask for this at point but it sounds like you have their ear so see if you can come up with something that makes you feel better about the situation.

Can someone post a photo of how and where the message shows how many days of trail period they have? I've heard it is in the Autopilot settings in the car but I don't see anything. My situation is:
Purchased Autopilot for 3k in March 2019, did not purchase FSD. Car delivered on 3/28 with all features (summon, autopark etc). I assumed my "trial" would end after 60 days. It has been 67 days and I still have all those features. No where in my settings does it say that my trial period is ending. (Read on this thread that the lack of warning may be a software issue, maybe that is what is going on?)
If I enter my online account it gives me the option to purchase FSD for ~6k.

I am very lost, anyone else in this situation?

• Love
Reactions: Leafdriver333