Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trial of Autopilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Please update on the outcome. When I called in they only referenced a 14 day trial. Disappointing if the plan was to purchase at the reduced rate and the price goes up earlier than expected (or more than it already has).

Sure will. Because of your message yesterday I've got a photo of my car screen showing 23 days left, followed by a photo of the screen showing no trial the following day. Hopefully clear photos will convince them something went wrong.

That being said, have your upgrade prices changed, yet? My trial is over according to the car, but the trial prices haven't changed on the upgrade page.

Reactions: Jffurlan
It is mind blowing to me people are buying this car without AP 80-85% of my driving is done with it engaged.

Having never sat in or drove a Tesla prior to purchasing my Model 3 it was tough to justify the need for Autopilot at $4,000. Having experienced it, I completely agree with your statement. It is indispensable. I would even argue I was closer to 95% of my driving was done with Autopilot engaged.

It is mind blowing to me people are buying this car without AP 80-85% of my driving is done with it engaged.

That's amazing to me. When I drive to work, maybe 30% is on a highway. The car offers Autosteer on much of the remaining surface road distance, except on some of it the prevailing speed is well over +5mph, and on the route as a whole there are multiple stop lights (which work fine if there's a car in front of you, and not so much if not). That would be much more feasible when the red light recognition is released (if it works well and if I spring for FSD).

Overall, there are three highways around. The one on the way to work is 55mph and the prevailing speed is +15mph, and there's only one location for a speed trap and only on one side of the road. So more like +8mph in that one spot, +15mph for the rest. The highway I'm next most commonly on is 55mph with occasional speed traps on both sides; you can do +10 to +15 if you're watching closely, but I'd say +5 to +7 for AP. The third highway is 70mph, prevailing speed +5mph (there's an actual state police station there with private highway ramps).

I have no idea what I could set AP to for the highways. +5 would be fine on the two less commonly used, but would drive me crazy on the way to work and back. If I set it for +10 or more for the work drive, I'd get a ticket sooner or later on the others. It doesn't remember separate speed offsets for different roads, does it? Or let me tell it where the locations are where speed traps are known to happen, so it can just slow down there on general principles?

Bottom line I feel like AP is cool when it works, but unless I was constantly toggling it off and on and tweaking speeds for the specific locations of concern, it's far from working well for even a majority of my driving.

Though... I could easily jot down an algorithm for the driving I typically do (speeds, lights to watch for, multi-lane intersections to navigate, places crazy people pull out too far, etc.). So it's not that it CAN'T be automated... just that AP isn't there today.

Will tesla offer a trial 1 yrs down the line? Sorta like to temp you?

I have one but it’s only 2 weeks I think. I am Really not impressed. Freaks me out when the car freaks out.

I love when the Autopilot freaks out, it takes the fun of driving the car and turns it up to 11.

I woke up to a lost AP this morning, still had about 30 days left on my trial. The support chat told me they were working on it and it should be restored.

Reactions: willow_hiller
I love when the Autopilot freaks out, it takes the fun of driving the car and turns it up to 11.

I woke up to a lost AP this morning still had about 30 days left on my trial. The support chat told me they were working on it and it should be restored.

I had to do a bit of highway driving after a month of the AP trial... It felt weird without it. Made me realize how much humans tend to sway within lane-lines compared to the cold-calculating precision of a machine.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
I’d be very curious to hear from AP/FSD users in major cities where traffic is extremely congested. I find AP/FSD absolutely worthless in LA and Orange County. It’s constantly phantom braking, or aborting lane changes, if it ever attempts a lane change at all. I have to take it off AP so many times that I just get frustrated and give up. When I do have it on I need to take a Xanax to try and stay calm because it acts so erratic that I’m constantly having to monitor the decisions it’s making and be ready to instantly take over before it does something really stupid.

• Informative
Reactions: InParadise
I’d be very curious to hear from AP/FSD users in major cities where traffic is extremely congested. I find AP/FSD absolutely worthless in LA and Orange County. It’s constantly phantom braking, or aborting lane changes, if it ever attempts a lane change at all.

You might want to take it to the SC to have the cameras checked. My experience in LA traffic is completely the opposite. AP has completely de-stressed the drive through downtown rush hour traffic. I get phantom braking at most once a week, and otherwise can significantly relax as the car handles both following distance and lane keeping very well. It won't change lanes when aggressive drivers speed up to cut you off, but I do prefer to handle that myself.

You might want to take it to the SC to have the cameras checked. My experience in LA traffic is completely the opposite. AP has completely de-stressed the drive through downtown rush hour traffic. I get phantom braking at most once a week, and otherwise can significantly relax as the car handles both following distance and lane keeping very well. It won't change lanes when aggressive drivers speed up to cut you off, but I do prefer to handle that myself.
But the delayed resume after coming to a stop aggravates the drivers behind me.
Most human drivers know the right moment to start following the car intuitively. I am sure the autopilot can be programmed to emulate human behavior in the future.

OTOH, i was coming home late last night and there were only few cars on the road. And the NOA performed flawlessly.

I had approximately 3 weeks remaining on my 60 day trial when it disappeared from my MRM3. I contacted Tesla chat multiple times, they were unable to tell me what happened or when it would be restored. They just chalked it up to a "glitch" which seems to be the buzzword at Tesla when something doesn't go as planned.

I was fed up with the non-answers from Tesla chat so I scheduled a service appointment. A Tesla Mobile Service adviser texted me. His text said "Hello This is Victor,I am in the process of diagnosing your Tesla before your appointment on 5/16. We looked into your concern and I wanted to inform you that the autopilot trial is on temporary hold. A newer trial should be released soon. I will be cancelling your appointment at this time as there is no need for a service visit for your concern. Thank you."

Basically, a nice way of saying, [EXPLETIVE] off and keep waiting.

Isn't basic Autopilot standard on all Teslas now? FSD doesn't seem as compelling since they did that but I bought it anyway in the hopes that it will actually be a thing and not MIA vaporware.
I have EAP so all the FSD features currently available, I have. Autopilot on nav has saved me a handful of times now from taking a wrong off ramp. And I also don’t think Autopilot by itself has auto lane change. That’s whack, it’s still worth it for the adaptive cruise control though.

I had approximately 3 weeks remaining on my 60 day trial when it disappeared from my MRM3. I contacted Tesla chat multiple times, they were unable to tell me what happened or when it would be restored. They just chalked it up to a "glitch" which seems to be the buzzword at Tesla when something doesn't go as planned.

I was fed up with the non-answers from Tesla chat so I scheduled a service appointment. A Tesla Mobile Service adviser texted me. His text said "Hello This is Victor,I am in the process of diagnosing your Tesla before your appointment on 5/16. We looked into your concern and I wanted to inform you that the autopilot trial is on temporary hold. A newer trial should be released soon. I will be cancelling your appointment at this time as there is no need for a service visit for your concern. Thank you."

Basically, a nice way of saying, [EXPLETIVE] off and keep waiting.
Thanks for the post. I took delivery on May 4th w/o AP and still waiting for an AP trial.

We had a 60 day trial, which I think just ended. Upgrade price is $3,000. I tried using AP the first couple weeks I had the car, but it was pretty unimpressive and required at least as much, if not more, mental attention from me vs. just driving the car myself. (My commute includes: city, highway, neighborhood, toll plaza, carpool lane, and bridge segments). We won't be purchasing the option.

• Informative
Reactions: InParadise
I just received an email from Tesla today about inquiring them on when I was going to offered the Autopilot trial:

"Thank you for your interest in experiencing the Autopilot and Full Self-Driving trial. We have suspended all Autopilot Trials due to an issue with our website. We are working to roll out a new trial soon to all cars that currently have no Autopilot software installed. We will advise as soon as that new trial is ready, and please follow our social media and subscribe to our newsletter for any other information."