Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tried a FSD subscription. It's not worth it...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bit the bullet and tried the FSD one-month subscription option for a 1700 mile road trip this past weekend in my 2020 Model 3 Standard Plus. My opinion: not worth it.

Full Self Driving is just a terrible name for what is essentially Autopilot+. I'd imagine your commute would need to involve nothing but freeway driving to get much benefit from a $200 a month subscription, and definitely not $12000.

Summon is one of those features that's neat to play with, and might come in handy once in a blue moon. I'd pay $5 to sneak the car out of a tight spot once in a while, but not a recurring subscription.

Navigate on autopilot did relieve the necessity to keep turning autopilot off and back on every time I wanted to change lanes, which begs the question of why Tesla requires you to turn the autopilot off and back on just to change lanes. The cruise control worked the same as before, and honestly, I can handle lane changes on my own.

Stoplight and stop sign handling was terrible. It ID'd stop signs that weren't there, stopped the car in the middle of a highway, and tries to stop for most green lights unless you remember to tell it not to. It stopped for no reason multiple times during the trip. This in turn caused more safety hazards than if I just disabled it to begin with.

Autopilot is generally a great tool. You can turn it on, pay attention, and not really worry too much about your car doing things you'd rather it not do. FSD adds a whole new level of anxiety and complexity that is in no way a finished product. I can't imagine the FSD Beta being any better. I could understand it if it weren't so expensive, but at $12000/$200 per month, it is wildly overpriced. I've already canceled the subscription, and I doubt I'll be missing anything when it ends except the ability to impress friends by letting the car mope around a parking lot by itself.
1600px-Tesla_Autopilot_Engaged_in_Model_X.jpg

("Tesla Autopilot Engaged in Model X.jpg" by Ian Maddox is licensed under CC BY 4.0.)

Last edited by a moderator:
You know I never took a bus or train to work because I so love
I tried it for $199, was like "Lol, what dummy would pay $10k ($12k now) for this when they can't even transfer it to a new Tesla?!" and let the subscription expire happily.
Yeah it would be great if it were transferrable even if it was a nominal fee or say the difference of any price increase. I still don't need or want it.
Until I'm wiping my butt with money I'll do something more constructive with 12k.

You know I never took a bus or train to work because I so love

Yeah it would be great if it were transferrable even if it was a nominal fee or say the difference of any price increase. I still don't need or want it.
Until I'm wiping my butt with money I'll do something more constructive with 12k.
I mean at least offer an option to transfer FSD for a price ($1-2k or something). I bet you a non-insignificant # of owners would take the plunge for $12k if they knew they could transfer FSD to a future Tesla for a modest price. What if you plunk down $12k for FSD, then get blindsided by a drunk driver 5 minutes later and your Tesla is totaled? Poof goes your $12k just like that.

I mean at least offer an option to transfer FSD for a price ($1-2k or something). I bet you a non-insignificant # of owners would take the plunge for $12k if they knew they could transfer FSD to a future Tesla for a modest price. What if you plunk down $12k for FSD, then get blindsided by a drunk driver 5 minutes later and your Tesla is totaled? Poof goes your $12k just like that.
I agree and insurance doesn't cover the options that I'm aware of. I have the boost on mine so that's a loss if my car gets totaled. But hey that's $2k not $12k big difference. Still it would be nice to transfer that as well even for a fee or discount.

Reactions: Ramphex
I agree and insurance doesn't cover the options that I'm aware of.

Why wouldn't it?

If you optioned your mustang with a V8 instead of a 4 cylinder you don't think insurance would pay you more for it?

Especially if you have replacement cost insurance, they ought to be paying enough to get you a comparable vehicle. Including options like FSD.

(that said- check with your specific insurance company- some have been told for example they cover it if it's on your original purchase but NOT if added later, others have been told they cover it either way but only if you informed them before the accident you added it afterward, etc....)

The saddest thing with Tesla AP is that when you change the lane you have to re-enable it. And you hear the dong.

All other manufacturers implement it much more reasonable: if cruise control has lane assist it re-enables itself after lane change soon as it identifies lane markings.

Why tesla made it such a pain in the ass - I have no understanding
To make you buy the FSD lol

Reactions: Sunvalleylaw
Why wouldn't it?

If you optioned your mustang with a V8 instead of a 4 cylinder you don't think insurance would pay you more for it?

Especially if you have replacement cost insurance, they ought to be paying enough to get you a comparable vehicle. Including options like FSD.

(that said- check with your specific insurance company- some have been told for example they cover it if it's on your original purchase but NOT if added later, others have been told they cover it either way but only if you informed them before the accident you added it afterward, etc....)
That's just what I've heard on the forum.

I’ve also read that autopilot lands planes on the forum. Don’t believe everything you read on a forum….

CAN A PASSENGER JET LAND AUTOMATICALLY BY ITSELF?​

“Yes, a passenger plane can land by itself using the autopilot”

Autopilot DOES land planes. Go do some googling.

No, it does not.

OTHER automation systems can of course.

Just like Autopilot in a tesla doesn't stop for red lights, but OTHER automation systems can.

CAN A PASSENGER JET LAND AUTOMATICALLY BY ITSELF?​

“Yes, a passenger plane can land by itself using the autopilot”

Instead of trusting "flight deck friend" to define things, lets maybe trust an actual authority-- the FAA.

FAA definition of autopilot said:
Autopilot. An aircraft system and associated sensors designed to provide automatic control of the
pitch, roll, and, in certain instances, yaw axis of an aircraft.

It steers. That's it.

There are OTHER systems that do OTHER automation tasks in a plane, with other names.

For example (from same FAA DOC)

FAA said:
Auto Throttle System (ATS). A system selected by the crew to provide automatic engine thrust
control, as required, to achieve and maintain desired aircraft speed or vertical flight ptofile.

That's the aircraft equivalent of cruise control.

Autoland is a different system (and far far far less commonly used- even your own link suggests less than 1% of commercial flights use autoland.)

Last edited:
Reactions: Yelobird
Wow. What a mess.
And to think we are still where we are, FSD wise...when we were told by the CEO that it would have Level 5 capabilities ("NYC to LA with no intervention") not just by now...BUT by THREE YEARS AGO. A "robotaxi service where you car will drive itself to make you $100k per year", TWO years ago..

And yet...here we are..

And certain bois on here wonder why there is an investigation into deceptive marketing going on.
LA—>NYC on FSD was 4.5 years ago, actually.
Just googled it and he said on two consecutive earnings calls that LA to NYC on FSD by end of 2017. “Like spinning plates”. He can spin the plates at as many companies as he wants, but Tesla legacy owners know better than to trust a word he says.

i couldn’t imagine not having FSD. I pay for subscription and drive 150-200 miles a day in the Bay Area. I don’t have to change lanes on my own. It changes freeways and takes freeway exits for me. I use AP for stop lights and stop signs all day. I drive manually <5% of my drive every day. To each their own. If you don’t deal with multiple freeways/highways, I could see it not being worth it, but I’d never own a Tesla without it.
I’ve spent hundreds of miles per day with FSD in LA and Bay Area. The only place it’s very useful is driving back and forth between the two cities. Sure, it pisses off every other driver on the 5 because it behaves indecisively, but to say it can do over 95% of my driving for me is… (…is inaccurate (moderator edit))

Last edited by a moderator:
No, it does not.

OTHER automation systems can of course.

Just like Autopilot in a tesla doesn't stop for red lights, but OTHER automation systems can.

Instead of trusting "flight deck friend" to define things, lets maybe trust an actual authority-- the FAA.

It steers. That's it.

There are OTHER systems that do OTHER automation tasks in a plane, with other names.

For example (from same FAA DOC)

That's the aircraft equivalent of cruise control.

Autoland is a different system (and far far far less commonly used- even your own link suggests less than 1% of commercial flights use autoland.)
The statement wasn’t “what percent”. The statement was can autopilot land a plane. And the answer per multiple sources including pilots is yes it can and does.

– Captain4430, Melbourne, Florida
Many autopilot systems are capable of landing the airplane.

YOU LOSE. 😂😂

I’ve spent hundreds of miles per day with FSD in LA and Bay Area. The only place it’s very useful is driving back and forth between the two cities. Sure, it pisses off every other driver on the 5 because it behaves indecisively, but to say it can do over 95% of my driving for me is… cute. Insincere, but cute. I get it. “Go team!!!!”
Totally off topic, and not picking on you as it is just a regional thing that I find interesting, but "The 5" always sounds funny to the folks raised up in and around Seattle/Tacoma etc. There, it is I-5, and people look at you funny if you say The 5. The Seattle Times has recently pointed it out in articles they have going on who is local PNW and who is not. As if that even matters or is a thing.

I have never really heard people call it "the 5" before, but see it all the time on this forum. And, well, in California, I guess it is The 5, and who are the Seattle people to say that is wrong. So again, just struck me funny once more and felt compelled to comment.

Carry on!

Reactions: BostonBurley
The statement wasn’t “what percent”. The statement was can autopilot land a plane.

Yes, and the statement is factually wrong

I cited the FAA, the actual authority on aircraft regulation in the US, proving you wrong.

autopilot can not land a plane

A system that lands a plane is a different system

This is why the FAA refers to the regulations and requirements for autopilot differently from those for autoland

Because they're not the same thing.

Neither is autothrottle

Your counter was... quoting some rando from USA Today.

LOL as the kids say.

Last edited:
Reactions: Yelobird