Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tried a FSD subscription. It's not worth it...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bit the bullet and tried the FSD one-month subscription option for a 1700 mile road trip this past weekend in my 2020 Model 3 Standard Plus. My opinion: not worth it.

Full Self Driving is just a terrible name for what is essentially Autopilot+. I'd imagine your commute would need to involve nothing but freeway driving to get much benefit from a $200 a month subscription, and definitely not $12000.

Summon is one of those features that's neat to play with, and might come in handy once in a blue moon. I'd pay $5 to sneak the car out of a tight spot once in a while, but not a recurring subscription.

Navigate on autopilot did relieve the necessity to keep turning autopilot off and back on every time I wanted to change lanes, which begs the question of why Tesla requires you to turn the autopilot off and back on just to change lanes. The cruise control worked the same as before, and honestly, I can handle lane changes on my own.

Stoplight and stop sign handling was terrible. It ID'd stop signs that weren't there, stopped the car in the middle of a highway, and tries to stop for most green lights unless you remember to tell it not to. It stopped for no reason multiple times during the trip. This in turn caused more safety hazards than if I just disabled it to begin with.

Autopilot is generally a great tool. You can turn it on, pay attention, and not really worry too much about your car doing things you'd rather it not do. FSD adds a whole new level of anxiety and complexity that is in no way a finished product. I can't imagine the FSD Beta being any better. I could understand it if it weren't so expensive, but at $12000/$200 per month, it is wildly overpriced. I've already canceled the subscription, and I doubt I'll be missing anything when it ends except the ability to impress friends by letting the car mope around a parking lot by itself.
1600px-Tesla_Autopilot_Engaged_in_Model_X.jpg

("Tesla Autopilot Engaged in Model X.jpg" by Ian Maddox is licensed under CC BY 4.0.)

Last edited by a moderator:
To each their own. I find it rather weird to pay more per month to jerk off my steering yoke while staring forward, than what I pay for my car insurance.

Now, if it actually drove me around without causing me to do anything extra or any extra stress, and allowed me to do other things, like watch shows or play on my phone, then $250 MIGHT be worth it.
I’ve never had a problem giving my scroll wheel a spin, and I actually watch the road and supervise my car. My car is an investment in my time. I’m in it 6-8 hours a day. Not going to be staring off into the clouds. But using NoA and not having to steer, change lanes manually (or give it permission), AND having FSD Beta drive pretty damn well in city streets in basically all of California, is worth it.

Reactions: Yelobird
I’ve never had a problem giving my scroll wheel a spin, and I actually watch the road and supervise my car. My car is an investment in my time. I’m in it 6-8 hours a day. Not going to be staring off into the clouds. But using NoA and not having to steer, change lanes manually (or give it permission), AND having FSD Beta drive pretty damn well in city streets in basically all of California, is worth it.
Like I said, to each their own. Switching lanes and driving to me is easy enough, and if I have to pay attention, I don’t also want to pay more money. The day it doesn’t require me to babysit it, is the day it’ll be worth my hard earned money.

Reactions: 2101Guy