Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trip A and Trip B bog down the CPU's memory and processor?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just reread this thread (all the words) and have a couple of thoughts. Imagine if we took a laptop to the PC repair place and said "my computer is slow." Then imagine if the repair tech said every single time "we need to delete x." We would all know in an instant that the explanation is bogus because there is a multitude of things that can slow a computer down. The MCU is a linux computer with a lot of tasks going on, so it seems reasonable that there can me multiple failure modes with similar symptoms but different fixes.

Reading along, I was wondering why my car with 51K miles on both trip meters (never touched either one) and a USB stick full of tunes does not experience these problems. But there's a tiny bit in the OP about the "cache was corrupted." Ah, now we're getting somewhere! A properly functioning database can store huge amounts of data with near instantaneous retrieval. But throw in a little disk corruption and the whole thing can grind to a halt. So perhaps the tech guessed correctly on the trip data corruption, truncated the data store, and voila! Problem solved. But again, does that mean it is the only way to slow down the computer, or the only way to fix it? Hardly.

It's a computer like any other, and needs a suite of diagnostic tools along with a qualified Information Technology person who really understands how it works. Until we get word from the mother ship on just what is going on with the computer, it is pretty much anybody's guess as to what will fix what.

/rant

Reactions: mblakele
Mine was in a few weeks ago for a problem with the gyro having come out of calibration, and they reset my trip meters. It was done to "speed up the console", a problem which I don't think it had and hadn't complained about. I lost my running energy usage computation and didn't even get to save off the last value since they didn't warn me they were doing it.

Sad. :(

While driving to a already scheduled service appointment Friday morning my web browser completely froze ( had been using TeslaWaze site) once again Trips AB was to blame but only after 8k miles of driving since I have been periodically reseting it to avoid issues. basically trips AB is a convenient excuse when they can't figure out why stuff doesn't work.

Reactions: David99
Just wanted to post my experience... 2015 Model S, original owner... absolutely love the car and have not had any real issues thus far during 65,000+ miles apart from replacing the small 12V battery and a driver side door handle (both covered under base warranty)-- I did have a strange stretch of bad luck during my first couple years where I had multiple flat tires caused by screws, bolts, etc. on the original Michelin Primacies but after I replaced them with Michelin Pilot Sports about a year and half ago, no more flats... knock on wood.

But in the last few weeks I noticed that in order to start the car I would have to do a reboot (both scroll buttons) with alarming frequency.... seemingly every other day. I scheduled a service ranger appointment and thought I might have to replace the original MCU; the service technician texted me a few days before the appointment and asked me about the issue... they suggested clearing both Trip A and B histories (I had never touched either so both showed the same mileage as the odometer... over 65,000 miles. For good measure I also deleted all of my navigation destination history and the streaming music favorites I never use. Since I wiped these about a week ago, I haven't had to do a reboot (I cancelled the service visit). Anecdotal to be sure but clearing the Trip histories seems to have made a difference for me.

• Informative
Reactions: David29 and kavyboy
Just wanted to post my experience... 2015 Model S, original owner... absolutely love the car and have not had any real issues thus far during 65,000+ miles apart from replacing the small 12V battery and a driver side door handle (both covered under base warranty)-- I did have a strange stretch of bad luck during my first couple years where I had multiple flat tires caused by screws, bolts, etc. on the original Michelin Primacies but after I replaced them with Michelin Pilot Sports about a year and half ago, no more flats... knock on wood.

But in the last few weeks I noticed that in order to start the car I would have to do a reboot (both scroll buttons) with alarming frequency.... seemingly every other day. I scheduled a service ranger appointment and thought I might have to replace the original MCU; the service technician texted me a few days before the appointment and asked me about the issue... they suggested clearing both Trip A and B histories (I had never touched either so both showed the same mileage as the odometer... over 65,000 miles. For good measure I also deleted all of my navigation destination history and the streaming music favorites I never use. Since I wiped these about a week ago, I haven't had to do a reboot (I cancelled the service visit). Anecdotal to be sure but clearing the Trip histories seems to have made a difference for me.

That sounds more like a failing chip in the MCU. What you described sounds exactly like that.

That sounds more like a failing chip in the MCU. What you described sounds exactly like that.
Hi David, can you please clarify... if it is failing chip, does that indicate that I will need to replace the MCU in the near future or is there some other fix? Currently it seems to be working like normal (after the Trip A/B reset)... are there any other indicators of a failing chip I should look out for? Thanks

Hi David, can you please clarify... if it is failing chip, does that indicate that I will need to replace the MCU in the near future or is there some other fix? Currently it seems to be working like normal (after the Trip A/B reset)... are there any other indicators of a failing chip I should look out for? Thanks

I had the chip replaced by Tony. I have seen the symptoms on my car nd several others I helped repair.

Consolidated eMMC Thread (MCU repair) (Black Center Screen)