Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Troubleshooting a charging problem

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got back from a road trip where I charged using Superchargers and using the portable charger that came with my 2020 3 dual motor. No problems. Got home, plugged my portable charger into my NEMA 10-50 outlet, and it won't charge. Get various error messages. I've tried a DIFFERENT portable charger, and even tried the regular 120 v AC adapter. Same problem. Any troubleshooting suggestions before I call Tesla Service?

Seems to have resolved itself. I let it sit for an hour, then went out to try another reboot (already tried twice), but at first the door wouldn’t open/unlock even though I had my phone key with me. Tried it a couple more times and it unlocked, then (before I could get in) started charging. Still not sure what was going on.

“Check charging connection” “Disconnect charging cable and retry” “Charging stopped “

Same problem here. M3 SR+. Got home 2 nights ago and and plugged in to my mobile connector for charging from a 240v 20 amp outlet. Received the above error several times. I was low on miles and read somewhere that somebody had a similar problem and that the car did charge at a supercharger. So I drove to the supercharger and it charged fine. On the way home I stopped at my office where I have another mobile connector hooked up to a 240v 40 amp circuit. Plugged in an it charged fine. I figured that I had a bad mobile connector and took the office mobile connector home to try. I switched out the plugs on the mobile connector and plugged the office mobile connector in at home that same evening and received the same message. So then I thought maybe a bad adapter and I hooked up the 120v adapter and plugged it into a 120v outlet and receive the same error. So now my thought is bad power to the house. Time for bed as it was well after midnight. When I got up up 6am I plugged in the Tesla and it charged fine, of course. Charged fine yesterday and this morning for testing purposes. When I get home tonight and plug in same error as before. I read that there are people having other charging problems like limiting to 16 amps when it should be charging at 32 and Tesla is telling them that it is a firmware issue. I think that the car is being overly sensitive to the AC or even reading the AC incorrectly and is throwing an error. I will try it at home tomorrow and then immediately drive to my office and try it there to see what happens. My home is out in the country and office is in the city and they are 2 different power companies.

Just got back from a road trip where I charged using Superchargers and using the portable charger that came with my 2020 3 dual motor. No problems. Got home, plugged my portable charger into my NEMA 10-50 outlet, and it won't charge. Get various error messages. I've tried a DIFFERENT portable charger, and even tried the regular 120 v AC adapter. Same problem. Any troubleshooting suggestions before I call Tesla Service?
There are about 25-30 of us with 2018-2020 M3, MY having some reduced charging capability using our home AC systems.

Several of us have found that reducing the amps (on your screen) prior to charging to 20 or 30 amps, may allow the charge to initiate. I’ve then found that you can gradually tweak it up to 35A or so. See what yours will accept if you do have this charge problem again. I suspect you may. It’s a "known problem” and we are told there will be a “firmware fix”. Do make sure your service center knows if you have repeat similar problems so they’ll have you on the list (or perhaps they already know).

What exactly is a portable charger? My car is a 2019 and it certainly didn't come with a portable charger! You actually have multiple portable chargers?

The car should come with a mobile connector in a bag ..for clarification the charger is part of the car ...the mobile connector is what you plug into an outlet

Of course mine came with a mobile connector. I've never once thought to call the connector/adapter a charger lol.
I've heard of portable chargers out there but I couldn't imagine that Tesla supplied them!

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA
There are about 25-30 of us with 2018-2020 M3, MY having some reduced charging capability using our home AC systems.

Several of us have found that reducing the amps (on your screen) prior to charging to 20 or 30 amps, may allow the charge to initiate. I’ve then found that you can gradually tweak it up to 35A or so. See what yours will accept if you do have this charge problem again. I suspect you may. It’s a "known problem” and we are told there will be a “firmware fix”. Do make sure your service center knows if you have repeat similar problems so they’ll have you on the list (or perhaps they already know).
The instant I change from 32 to 33 amps the whole charging cycle stops for me, and the car refuses to try charging for several minutes afterwards. I know a lot of people are hoping this is a firmware fix, but I don't think firmware will fix every car.

What exactly is a portable charger? My car is a 2019 and it certainly didn't come with a portable charger! You actually have multiple portable chargers?
Of course mine came with a mobile connector. I've never once thought to call the connector/adapter a charger lol.
I've heard of portable chargers out there but I couldn't imagine that Tesla supplied them!
You are beyond welcome at any time to quit being an annoying, pedantic, frustrating nuisance.

Last edited:
How many times have you seen someone refer to Tesla supplying a portable charger?
Every single week. It happens all the time, and everyone always knows what it means.
"portable charger" site:teslamotorsclub.com - Google Search

I will grant that at least you saved it for a thread that is about diagnosing the source of a charging problem, so it is relevant to understand the distinction of the hardware components here, but the method you took to sarcastically point and laugh and make fun of the person to try to embarrass him was uncalled for and revealing the cruel personality you get to let out online.

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA
If I was cruel and sarcastic....do you actually read these forums? When I was a true newbie I was made fun of relentlessly. I wasn't butt-hurt. I appreciated the quick responses and the education. I admire you fighting for this guy though. It's admirable!
I don't live on this forum, but I've never noticed the adapter that comes with the car referred to as a portable charger. Why would anyone call the adapter a charger? I see the word "ADAPTER" all over the place.

Just got back from a road trip where I charged using Superchargers and using the portable charger that came with my 2020 3 dual motor. No problems. Got home, plugged my portable charger into my NEMA 10-50 outlet, and it won't charge. Gnd time calling for serviceet various error messages. I've tried a DIFFERENT portable charger, and even tried the regular 120 v AC adapter. Same problem. Any troubleshooting suggestions before I call Tesla Service?
I have the same problem with my 2018. Being a 40 yr IBEW trained electrician, I troubleshot all I could. One thing worked: Factory Reset on car.
Charged perfectly for the night then as time went on quit again. I have the 2018 and a 2022, latter not affected. You won't lose radio/streaming favs
or FOB, card, phone settings. You will loose garage door setting if equipped. This will be second time for service on this, it has to be a software problem.

Reactions: Zeemo
Could it be the onboard charger gradually wearing out?
I have the same problem with my 2018. Being a 40 yr IBEW trained electrician, I troubleshot all I could. One thing worked: Factory Reset on car.
Charged perfectly for the night then as time went on quit again. I have the 2018 and a 2022, latter not affected. You won't lose radio/streaming favs
or FOB, card, phone settings. You will loose garage door setting if equipped. This will be second time for service on this, it has to be a software problem.
The reset may be works, but would the factory reset give you older firmware, which could potentially be slower in diagnosing the problem. or perhaps you deleted the fault logs so car had to learn once again to give you the fault which may be due to hardware? I'm not saying I know but I dont know which is why I am trying to find out, but what I say and what you say can be correct here