TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Trunk/Frunk dimensions

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by jomo25, Jan 1, 2013.

1. jomo25

jomo25 P4398

Are there any good pics of the trunk and frunk showing the amount of interior space in them? Specifically, it would be great to have a couple of annotated photos of them indicating the L/W/D dimensions of the various sections. Specifically, I'm looking for the space without the rear child seats, without the rear panel, rear passenger seats up (not folded). Interested in the frunk's also.

I know there are some good pics posted in the various Amped and Delivery threads. I wonder if someone could take them and annotate them based on their measurements of their S. Or take new photos. Or point me to ones that may already exist.

Thanks in advance!

2. jomo25

jomo25 P4398

Really, no takers?

3. capt601

capt601 Vin02324

I'll take some photos with a tape measure tomorrow. Wife had the car today.

4. jomo25

jomo25 P4398

Thanks!

5. dflye

dflye S Sig Perf 414, VIN 814

From placing a couple of plastic storage bins in the frunk, one has to be very careful to not end up with something that allows the frunk hood to only partially close (I think where only the one latch catches)

Once that happens, it takes a bit of coordination between hitting the frunk release button on the remote and bouncing the hood to get it to release.

The sloped nature of the frunk hood makes it a challenge with the bins I leave in there on a regular basis, as they are perfect for groceries when used side-by-side, but if I nest them to make room for a larger item they need to be rotated to avoid getting wedged near the front edge of the frunk.

6. capt601

capt601 Vin02324

#6 capt601, Jan 4, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2013
    let me know how these work. or if you need a more specific area.
    in order
    Trunk front to rear length
    Trunk front to rear length
    trunk width between wheels
    trunk width behind wheel wells
    trunk floor well width
    trunk floor well front to rear
    trunk well depth
    trunk width at midpoint
    same
    trunk height
    frunk width
    same
    same
    frunk extra area width
    same
    frunk extra area depth
    frunk height at rear
    frunk height at front
    same

IMG_1061.jpg IMG_1062.jpg IMG_1063.jpg IMG_1064.jpg IMG_1065.jpg IMG_1066.jpg IMG_1067.jpg IMG_1068.jpg IMG_1069.jpg IMG_1070.jpg IMG_1071.jpg IMG_1072.jpg IMG_1073.jpg IMG_1074.jpg IMG_1075.jpg IMG_1076.jpg IMG_1077.jpg IMG_1078.jpg IMG_1079.jpg

7. jomo25

jomo25 P4398

Thanks again! Some are a little difficult to make out, but I think I got the ones that I needed to know the most. I really appreciate you taking time to take the photos and posting!

8. EcoHeliGuy

EcoHeliGuy Member

I always wondered if a spare wheel would fit in the hole of the frunk. Guess that's a no.

9. Jason S

Jason S Model S Sig Perf (P85)

Maybe a donut, but not a full size.

10. ddruz

ddruz Member

#10 ddruz, Jan 5, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2013
    Has anyone made a measurement from ground to top of trunk rear lift gate when fully opened? Wondering how high the ceiling of the garage needs to be to open it fully. Thanks.

11. Brian H

Brian H Banned

Right-click, save the image as jpg, open it in an image program, enlarge to taste.

12. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

The rear hatch can be set to only open to a certain height, so the garage height isn't a problem.

13. ddruz

ddruz Member

My understanding is this is true only with the Tech package. For those ordering without Tech it would be nice to know the height of the hatch from the ground.

14. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

The description of the Tech package shows power lift gate. I don't know if the stop is an integral part of the power lift gate or not. It would be nice if there was a description of each feature so that you would know what you were actually getting.

15. SCW-Greg

SCW-Greg Active Member

16. EcoHeliGuy

EcoHeliGuy Member

You can't get donuts for cars with brakes this big.

the hole is 19" that means its the same size as the smallest rim available. A tire won't physically fit that space.

17. ddruz

ddruz Member

Post on Tesla forum from an owner who received car without Tech reports there are no user selectable stops on the lift gate hatch without the Tech package. It apparently opens all the way.

So again: Anyone with a car willing to post the measurement from ground to top of rear hatch opened all the way? Thanks!

18. dflye

dflye S Sig Perf 414, VIN 814

That turned out to be more challenging to determine than I'd expected, ended up standing on a step-ladder, balancing a level on topmost section of the raised tailgate, marking the spot where the level hit the garage door, and then measuring that distance to the floor.

I came up with 7'-1/2" (84.5"), probably +/- 1/2" due to reading the level in a poorly lit garage.

19. ddruz

ddruz Member

Thank you dflye!!!!! Fantastic information. I appreciate all the effort you went through. Your measurement likely will be very helpful for many folks.

20. Moray

Moray New Member

Ddruz, you can stop the lift gate at any point by clicking the key fob while it opens, so it won't hit your ceiling. I think it will even remember that setting.