Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trunk Load Floor - Broken Fin / Shelf

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One of those fins in the trunk that support the load floor broke off today. I’m confused how this happened, I rarely have anything other my groceries or a suitcase in the trunk. It just fell off while I was trying to access the lower bin under it.

When I look at the broken fin, it seems to be made out of some cheap plastic.

Anyone else have this problem? Has to be covered by warranty, right?

AD06F446-BF65-4110-BF38-3DC9ABF65043.jpeg 87B05D8E-498F-403B-A31E-6838785CDD1A.jpeg

This happened to me a couple of weeks ago. Also not exactly sure how I did it, but pretty sure it was my fault. The fin itself is relatively strong, but the plastic bracket it attaches to behind the carpet is not. From your photos, it seems that the fin is intact and still holding on to the broke plastic.

Good news is the replacement part is cheap. It's called a "load floor minion bracket" and costs a whopping $8.80. I didn't want to bother pulling back the carpet and risk introducing new rattles, so I paid the service center half hour of labor to replace it for me. Out the door, it was about $78.

This happened to me a couple of weeks ago. Also not exactly sure how I did it, but pretty sure it was my fault. The fin itself is relatively strong, but the plastic bracket it attaches to behind the carpet is not. From your photos, it seems that the fin is intact and still holding on to the broke plastic.

Good news is the replacement part is cheap. It's called a "load floor minion bracket" and costs a whopping $8.80. I didn't want to bother pulling back the carpet and risk introducing new rattles, so I paid the service center half hour of labor to replace it for me. Out the door, it was about $78.

You are correct, the fin is indeed intact, the plastic bracket inside snapped.

Good to know it wasn’t an expensive to fix, but did you try it at all to have them cover the cost as part of the warranty? I maintain that I didn’t do anything out of the ordinary that would break this.

You are correct, the fin is indeed intact, the plastic bracket inside snapped.

Good to know it wasn’t an expensive to fix, but did you try it at all to have them cover the cost as part of the warranty? I maintain that I didn’t do anything out of the ordinary that would break this.

I didn't pursue a warranty claim. My advice is to bring the car in, explain what happened, and see what they say. Tesla might cover it in your case.

• Informative
Reactions: re04586
I didn't pursue a warranty claim. My advice is to bring the car in, explain what happened, and see what they say. Tesla might cover it in your case.

Took the car in today and they are replacing it as a warranty item. The service adviser said this is all too common considering the materials and didn't question how it happened which I appreciated.

Reactions: jgrgnt
I am not waiting for the trunk floor cover plastic tabs to break during my planned cross country trip. I installed wood supports on the sides for both the rear and front covers. The supports are a half inch higher than the fragile plastic tabs. I am attaching photos of my work. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• IMG_4357.jpeg
    IMG_4357.jpeg
    24.2 KB · Views: 451
  • IMG_4362.jpeg
    IMG_4362.jpeg
    32.8 KB · Views: 426
  • IMG_4363.jpeg
    IMG_4363.jpeg
    23.2 KB · Views: 466
I have broken these load floor minion brackets by simply carrying a case of Costco bottled water and driving over speed bumps; they are pretty fragile and break easily. So I have already broken both sides twice and had them repaired under warranty but now that I'm at 60K miles I thought I would add the wood reinforcements and cover them in trunk fabric. They look great and are able to support 200+ lbs now.
44AA300E-7C98-41CA-9094-3A7EB57EE046.jpeg
966E7804-6BB8-4027-8CA9-0099928A76C5.jpeg
2C19C19A-022E-412A-9CF0-192CD1C100D7.jpeg

Last edited:
Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: jgrgnt
Reactions: Axtrader