Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trunk Opens By Itself

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hoping someone has experienced this. Model S refresh trunk periodically opens on its own. At first only happen while in garage on home charger but now is happening randomly. This weekend it happened while at a baseball stadium and in a parking garage. Both times with some expensive personal items in the back. Service has already replaced latch (seemed like a shot in the dark when they did it). Has anyone seen this or heard of a fix. Thanks!

I believe the emergency interior trunk latch release is an electronic switch, but I would check for problems with this switch. I cannot think of any other mechanism that could trigger an opening without a person with key fob nearby. I assume you or no one with access was using the phone app at these times.

Reactions: askewed
Hoping someone has experienced this. Model S refresh trunk periodically opens on its own. At first only happen while in garage on home charger but now is happening randomly. This weekend it happened while at a baseball stadium and in a parking garage. Both times with some expensive personal items in the back. Service has already replaced latch (seemed like a shot in the dark when they did it). Has anyone seen this or heard of a fix. Thanks!
Are you carrying a FOB? If so, you MUST put a cage around it. Search Amazon. You will trip it, if it’s in your pocket or pocket book.

Are you carrying a FOB? If so, you MUST put a cage around it. Search Amazon. You will trip it, if it’s in your pocket or pocket book.
I figured if it opened while he was at a baseball game and it was parked in a garage, this would be unlikely, unless it opened in the short period of time before the fob got out of range or when it was coming back into range.

I figured if it opened while he was at a baseball game and it was parked in a garage, this would be unlikely, unless it opened in the short period of time before the fob got out of range or when it was coming back into range.
I didn’t read details, but that’s what likely happened. If he knew exactly when it happened it wouldn’t be a mystery, now would it. Can’t believe Tesla changed the latch. As you walk away getting things organized pop it goes. It’s a terrible FOB. I had to carry it for Raven X. I was happy to get back to Phone as Key and carry the card as Backup. FOBs will be secluded to the junk drawer. I even occasionally managed to bump the FOB even with the cage on it. It’s the cutest and most worst FOB ever made.

I learned early when my head was under the hatch of my X.

I have had the same. Out of sudden the frunk opens. This happens only in park. The problem in my case was the emergency switch in the frunk. I disconnected it, and the frunk remains closed.
The switch is quite simple, and easy to open. The green push button can be released with the small latches on the side.
My switch has had the problem, that there was some dirt in the inside on the contacts. And the green push button has had some sharp edges which caused the button not to move smoothly.
1650546556643.png
1650546596238.png

The picture show the switch after cleaning

Model 3, 9 months old....trunk has opened by itself 3 times in the last week. One in a parking lot while I was inside a store, and twice in the driveway. Phone was in a secure place and not touched in any way all of the times. WTF?

Reactions: bswood
Has anyone gotten official resolution on this? My trunk opened at least six times in a two hour period while I was golfing. I got warnings on app each time. The first time, I was inside the clubhouse during a lightning delay. I closed the trunk. Then it opened again. I closed it with the app. Watched it close. Hour later, I get a notice that it was open. Closed with app again. I think it did this every couple of holes while I was golfing. Extremely pissed the this is happening considering that I carry golf equipment with me all summer and don't want it stolen (obviously). Service request sent in.

Has anyone gotten official resolution on this? My trunk opened at least six times in a two hour period while I was golfing. I got warnings on app each time. The first time, I was inside the clubhouse during a lightning delay. I closed the trunk. Then it opened again. I closed it with the app. Watched it close. Hour later, I get a notice that it was open. Closed with app again. I think it did this every couple of holes while I was golfing. Extremely pissed the this is happening considering that I carry golf equipment with me all summer and don't want it stolen (obviously). Service request sent in.

Took car in for service today. The trunk latch was misaligned. Fixed in about 90 minutes. Time will tell if it works.

On another topic, I had found a nail in the tire before I went to the SC. I asked them to fix it. They wanted $75 to fix it. Took it to Discount Tire - no charge.

2 months old Model X Plaid, since today morning it started to open trunk randomly. It did today already 10+ times and the lift gate physical button is not working either. It would be a ~400 miles trip (eastern Europe) for me to go to a SC and wondering if there is an easy way to at least close out different problems and try to solve myself at home. Any suggestion what to try out? @Jeff1851 based on your description you had a similar problem. Did the physical button was working for you? After fixing the trunk latch, did it happen again?

Reviving this thread. Does anyone know if Tesla has fixed this issue? My Model S hatch has been popping open randomly for about a month now. Also the same for the charge port. Typically it’s when I’m getting out of my car. No fob involved. Today I was at a traffic light in drive and the hatch popped opened. Scary as hell. I thought someone ran into me, then it was a mad scramble to get it closed. I’m really getting tired of this car. It’s a great car with some damn scary quirks. Phantom braking is another favorite. I may just have to go back to an ICE for a while. Service appointment has been scheduled. I’m trying to get a video of the problems.

Last edited:
No fob means it’s in my pocket but not being pressed. I changed the fob battery today but still same issue with hatch and battery door opening. I figured it out the hard way about closing the hatch. Got out of my car at the stop light, closed the latch and by the time I got back in the car it popped opened again. I used the center screen to close it. I was kind of in a panic not wanting to hold up traffic. I’ll have to try the voice command. Thanks for the tip.