Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trusted shipping company to ship my Model 3 from California -> Maine

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone,

I'm going to move to Maine in about a month, and I need to figure out who I want to ship my car with. I've surveyed the auto shipping industry, and as far as I can tell, most companies are brokers, and you have little control over the actual shipper assigned to move your car. I get that, but I'm wondering who people on the forums have used, whether that's a broker or independent shipper. I'm all for cutting the middleman out, though I can see how that might be hard since I'm going to one of the far reaches of the country.

In short: Can anyone tell me who they've used, whether they'd recommend them (especially as far as communication and trustworthiness goes), and what I should do to prepare for such a long drive and what I should ask the shipper to do?

Thank you so much in advance!

I shipped a car from L.A. to New England about 25 years ago. I can't remember the name of the company I used but it all went well. I remember being told that my car would be transferred from one truck to another 2 or 3 times along the way. That was no concern for me then, but with a Tesla I'd want to know for sure if that was going to happen. I'd be worried that the persons loading and unloading my Tesla actually knew how to drive it. I'd also opt for a company that would ship the car in an enclosed trailer. Another thing to ask is, will they deliver the car to your new address or will you have to pick it up someplace else? I live in a small town. They wouldn't deliver to my house. I had to pick it up at a depot about 35 miles away.

You are right to be concerned. We had our Leaf shipped via a broker, and it was a sketchy operation. Perhaps there's a way to request a higher end shipper?

LeafOnTruck2.jpg

Hello everyone,

I'm going to move to Maine in about a month, and I need to figure out who I want to ship my car with. I've surveyed the auto shipping industry, and as far as I can tell, most companies are brokers, and you have little control over the actual shipper assigned to move your car. I get that, but I'm wondering who people on the forums have used, whether that's a broker or independent shipper. I'm all for cutting the middleman out, though I can see how that might be hard since I'm going to one of the far reaches of the country.

In short: Can anyone tell me who they've used, whether they'd recommend them (especially as far as communication and trustworthiness goes), and what I should do to prepare for such a long drive and what I should ask the shipper to do?

Thank you so much in advance!
Hi, just wondering what company you decided to use? Was it a good experience and would you recommend them? We are moving Illinois to California and need a reliable company.

I second use of enclosed container, or be on the top that will probably cost extra. I shipped a car about 6 years ago, and when it arrived, had a ton of oil, dust, and *sugar* all over the hood, glass, and roof (from cars on top leaking). Car was picked up a week before I was to arrive. And then the day I was flying out to destination, the driver called tried to make me pick up the car that afternoon because he was in a hurry. And I said um I'm going to be on a plane at that time.

I'd spend about 6-8 days to drive there if you go that route. 400-500 mi/d unless you have someone to share driving duties.

I lived in Arizona when the Mini Cooper was released so I ordered one from the only place I could - a dealership in Texas. The delivery truck got stuck in a blizzard so the driver abandoned his rig on the highway for an entire week and used my car as his own the whole time. It was barely recognizable by the time it arrived two weeks late and every square inch of the interior was caked with muddy salt.

A year later I nearly lost control on a treacherous mountain road when the rear lower control arm broke clean in half during some very spirited cornering. Turns out the delivery trucker had wrapped chains around the control arm to secure the car and the resulting kink caused it to fatigue and break.

tl;dr good luck.

MVC-020S.JPG

I recently shipped a vehicle (not an EV) across the country from Florida to California using American Auto Shipping. Besides showing up to pickup car outside of the specified time range, everything went well.

For a little more money, they had an option where you could choose if vehicle was to be on top or bottom of carrier, if that makes a difference to you.

I don't think you wasted your time. If it were me shipping a car cross-country, and I couldn't / wouldn't drive it myself, I think I'd look into having Waggoners do the transport. I'd not used them before but have seen how BMWs are delivered by them to local dealers. They have enclosed trailers (at probably high cost) but if BMW relies on them, I'd think they could be trusted.