Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

$TSLA finally admitted to S&P 500

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My main vehicle is the Vanguard Lifestrategy 60%. I have some Amazon and a small 5 figure sum in a HSBC Global Strategy. There's a little bit in some biotech, but its only there to see if it goes anywhere for a giggle.
I don't have any other EV stock as I'm primarily a passive investor.

I prefer funds and let the experts choose the individual stocks in the sectors that I have chosen. Costs a fraction more, but its medium/long term and I expect them to be able to keep their finger on the pulse better than me. Timing is everything.

I was just about to buy some Tesla, then got the S&P news... as I said, timing is everything. But I do still have Tesla in a fund. I've been on Tesla rollercoaster ride before...I expect it will probably be less volatile in S&P.

Last edited:
Thank you for your insights. I will look into more funds as it is a fairly sensible option for diversification. Also can be a good stable base to a portfolio.

A lot of my stop losses hit (thankfully) back in March so looking to reset my portfolio a bit. I looked into TSLA then but I wasn't prepared with the paperwork and missed the big spike (gutted!) and waited for another dip that I was happy to enter into but never came until just before the split. I'm in now and happy to sit it out for the long stretch.

• Disagree
Reactions: CLK350
Thank you for your insights. I will look into more funds as it is a fairly sensible option for diversification. Also can be a good stable base to a portfolio.

A lot of my stop losses hit (thankfully) back in March so looking to reset my portfolio a bit. I looked into TSLA then but I wasn't prepared with the paperwork and missed the big spike (gutted!) and waited for another dip that I was happy to enter into but never came until just before the split. I'm in now and happy to sit it out for the long stretch.

Your trying to time the market, which is impossible. As the saying goes, "It's not timing the market, it's all about time in the market". The ups and down even out over the long term.
Here's a snapshot of the Dow over an unspecified period of time. See if you can spot the 2008 crash....

Screenshot-2020-11-19-212755.jpg

Reactions: ringi and KennethS
Your trying to time the market, which is impossible.

To a degree, yes, but I'm not actively doing it - I am quite passive about it but would just rather buy in a 'down' day when I just happen to be watching (I sometimes go a few weeks/months without looking).

For the last 5 years I've used my own set of rules to short list companies with good results - generally all fairly low risk companies with positive trends. Its just now I feel renewables (along with EV) is where I should look at but it very much feels more emotional than my usual strict formulated method.

Have a mixed pension with funds and more recently tesla shares.

I concur with VanillaAir_UK about investing in funds, helps diversify your holdings, let the experts manage you money etc (Do your research 1st though and do review every now an then).

Tesla is the 1st company stock I have purchased, primarily because they are unusually transparent about their goals, production capacity increase plans, enabling technologies etc and they do have some very compelling products (I'll ignore the crap paint), which made me feel quite comfortable investing in them.

Can see a clear path to $100B annual revenue for 2022, which for a company of it's type equates to roughly a $1T market cap and a $1000 share price. Stepping up a gear from 50% annual growth (Impressive enough) to 100% - hats off

But yes there is no such thing as a truly 'safe' bet so be careful and don't invest more than you can afford to loose.

Last edited:
I agree with Tomorrowman. 1tn USD by 2022.
Tesla will be a fully vertically integrated business.

Creating electricity (solar city), batteries, insurance, software subscription, manufacturing technology... The list goes on).
4tn within 10 years it's achievable.

I started buying Tesla stock in 2013. I have some in my ISA but it's mostly in my pension fund so can't access it yet. But, if all goes well I'm on track to comfortably retire at 57!

I also have a sizeable NIO holding. Their battery swap technology is awesome. Takes 3 minutes and the only charge is the cost of electricity.

Xpeng and li auto are two others to keep an be eye out for but they carry some risk. And as others said already, dont touch Nikola, fraudulent company. When they get in under the GM umbrella it might be ok, but high risk.

Also worth looking at companies that will provide the charging infrastructure for by the EV Revolution. Chargepoint is the world's largest charging network and they will soon be going public via a reverse merger with Switchback Energy. That's one to keep an eye out for. Could be a decent earner.

Tesla to Be Added to S&P 500 Index

Share price predictions?

Personally, I feel that the admission is mostly baked into the current share price. Might see a short spike.

Having said that, after market trading is currently at $461, market closed at $408 today.
Thankfully, I was completely wrong.

Shorter trading day today however now hovering around the $595 mark, hopefully they'll break $600 by the end of the day.

Hmmm I'm curious to see where share price will get to by S&P 500 admittance day in 3 weeks, by which time the hundreds of tracker & benchmark funds will have brought their 35+% of the available tesla shares.

If it follows the trajectory of the last few weeks 800+ ???

Again while I still believe this is ultimately a growth opportunity and I can see that in x years Tesla 'could' have a $2T market cap with a $2,000 share price, The share price does look to be getting ahead of itself.

Hmmm when/if to bale and bank returns ahead of the 'inevitable' (?) post S&P 500 inclusion drop

Last edited:
To anyone invested in NIO and/or XPEV, why? TSLA's potential is in energy storage and robotaxis, and if they ever succeed in the latter (Which will probably happen), there will be far fewer cars sold.
NIO and XPEV are way too overvalued and are just riding on TSLA's hype.