Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

$TSLA finally admitted to S&P 500

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Plus there'll be another short squeeze. There's 47.8 million shares currently being shorted so there's going to be pressure to cover those positions. It won't be anywhere near the squeeze that we saw in the last 12 months but it will be there.

Tesla to Be Added to S&P 500 Index

Share price predictions?

Personally, I feel that the admission is mostly baked into the current share price. Might see a short spike.

Having said that, after market trading is currently at $461, market closed at $408 today.
It was baked in originally, for September entry, but when that did not happen the price softened. Now back to where it was, although aftermarket trading is not super reliable. Note that the market is still predicting, not yet experiencing, the S&P purchasing push.

It was baked in originally, for September entry, but when that did not happen the price softened. Now back to where it was, although aftermarket trading is not super reliable. Note that the market is still predicting, not yet experiencing, the S&P purchasing push.
At the end of the day the funds still have to buy the shares, lots of them, no matter how much it has been
anticipated. The situation is bizarre in that it has been unusually pre-announced and the length of time before admittance is huge. It could be argued that it will distort the market. Plenty of time for a retraction? I just hope Elon keeps quiet.....

Reactions: Zakalwe
At the end of the day the funds still have to buy the shares, lots of them, no matter how much it has been
anticipated. The situation is bizarre in that it has been unusually pre-announced and the length of time before admittance is huge. It could be argued that it will distort the market. Plenty of time for a retraction? I just hope Elon keeps quiet.....
STONKS

anticipated. The situation is bizarre in that it has been unusually pre-announced and the length of time before admittance is huge. It could be argued that it will distort the market. Plenty of time for a retraction?

I'm guessing that this is why they knocked it back first in September. it gives the index a chance to work out the logistics and the details. Mind you, it took 3-4 quarters to admit Facebook, so this isn't really setting a precedent.

I just hope Elon keeps quiet.....
The guy is a genius, but in some subjects he really is the dumbest smart guy in the room. He talked BS about COVID (the irony of him now having it is real), he got smacked by the SEC for his "funding secured" Tweet. I'm really hoping for two things here:
  1. He keeps his job shut about the S&P
  2. His COVID infection remains minor and/or he doesn't develop a long-term debilitating version of long COVID. The world needs more people like Musk, not fewer.

Just out of curiosity, what other (similar) stock do other people hold for medium to long term? I'm looking at NIO (although probably missed the starting line) but not researched enough.

I've always been interested in investing as a means of self-managing my own pension so happy to sit things out and hold long-term so direction of a company is important.