Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Investor Discussions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The people trashing Tesla really don't care about facts. They just want to trash the company and EVs in general, and they know a large part of their audience is ignorant and lacks critical thinking skills, so they say whatever will support their viewpoint, whether it's fact, distortion, or bald face lie.
So true! This does not only apply to EVs but politics in general. Many of those trashing prefer to have an uneducated public who will drink the Kool-Aid.

Is it possible to know how many of the shorts are individuals actually choosing to short TSLA, and how many are the result of funds whose whole purpose is to short the market across the board?

Edit: The shorts don't really concern me, because I'm looking to Tesla's growth in the long term, not waiting for a spike to sell. I'm just curious.

So true gg_wants_a_tesla. The stock is up today! If this continues you can soon buy a Tesla just from selling the stocks:)

Did Tesla ever state that they would not sell more than 1000 Signatures? If they didn't and they realized they had a lot of people on the waiting list, maybe they just decided to sell 1500 Signatures. Unlikely, but it definitely would be some well needed money for the company. However, I do understand that this wouldn't necessarily be good for the people who thought they were one out of 1000 sig owners.

SF chronicle article mentions the shareholder meeting

"It's really important to thoroughly test your own product and be really tough on it before you give it to general customers," Musk told the crowd of roughly 100 investors, gathered at the Computer History Museum in Mountain View.

When pressed by an investor on Wednesday, Musk said the company should start turning a profit after selling about 8,000 of the new sedans.

He has made that forecast before, and indeed, Wednesday's meeting produced few surprises. Musk said Tesla would probably start offering leases next year, or possibly late this year. He said it would be "cool" if Tesla someday made a version of Google's experimental self-driving car.

Seems like a recurring pattern is that it jumps at the beginning of the day, then profit-taking hits and it drops. Will that happen tomorrow? Serial number 1 being delivered today didn't seem to affect the pattern at all, which I find a bit eerie. Perhaps people simply didn't know?

Really low volume today. I think we are all topped off with TSLA and those in the know do not want to sell. So price is holding. If the Euro thing kicks in again TSLA goes down a bit and the buyers roll in again. Me being one of them. So still watching and waiting.

+1. I came into a small windfall so I'm waiting for the price to dip a bit before I buy some more. Interesting that news of the first one shipping shot up the price, though it could've just been people trying to pick up shares at a low price.

When the deliveries start making a difference on the bottom line, well let's just say that it will be very interesting. :biggrin:

That opening pop in share price is most differently something to watch. Not every morning but often enough to perk ones interest.

I really don't expect to see a big jump in the price until after they report their earnings in January. I think a lot of people have conceded that Tesla will build and ship the Model S, their question now is if they can make money doing it.

I really don't expect to see a big jump in the price until after they report their earnings in January. I think a lot of people have conceded that Tesla will build and ship the Model S, their question now is if they can make money doing it.

Probably the safe play, but I'm somewhat counting on an earlier bump in the fall - enough deliveries, people see them on the roads, owners have done some video reviews, Elon announces the SuperCharger network, etc. Also, when Tesla reiterates that they won't need to raise additional money.

How long did it take Consumer Reports to get a Fisker Karma? Do you think they got in the Signature que last December?

If you're really interested there is a site, shortsqueeze.com that has all sorts of data. Tesla is about 23% short - one of the highest! So if a short squeeze occurs, the stock is going to go ballistic and it will take about 20 days to do this. At that point it will be way over-valued.

I don't have facts but I do have a conspiracy theory. Institutions lend a proportion of their shares to short sellers for a fee to make some money. The institutions are in for the long haul, so they don't care about the volatility. In fact they love the dips that the short sellers create, because they can pick up more shares at a discount.

So who are these short sellers? I suspect mostly professional traders who play with other people's money. Sometimes these guys are right, as was the case with the financials in 2008-09. But I don't think they're right with Tesla. Tesla has a great product that people want to buy, and a great team that exectutes very well.

@MileErlic

If you're really interested there is a site, shortsqueeze.com that has all sorts of data. Tesla is about 23% short - one of the highest! So if a short squeeze occurs, the stock is going to go ballistic and it will take about 20 days to do this. At that point it will be way over-valued.

I don't have facts but I do have a conspiracy theory. Institutions lend a proportion of their shares to short sellers for a fee to make some money. The institutions are in for the long haul, so they don't care about the volatility. In fact they love the dips that the short sellers create, because they can pick up more shares at a discount.

So who are these short sellers? I suspect mostly professional traders who play with other people's money. Sometimes these guys are right, as was the case with the financials in 2008-09. But I don't think they're right with Tesla. Tesla has a great product that people want to buy, and a great team that exectutes very well.

@MileErlic

The perfect storm would be Iran closing the Strait of Hormuz in July as talks break down, gas shooting through the roof and some signs of economic recovery in general. All the 24 hour news channels will be talking about oil and oh, what is this, a car that doesn't use oil...and can go 300Miles, isn't that interesting...

I think a lot of people have conceded that Tesla will build and ship the Model S, their question now is if they can make money doing it.
I agree that the expectation of on-time delivery of the pre-ordered Model S cars is already built into the price of the stock, so this month's start of deliveries won't push the price up, though a failure to deliver could push it down. I also agree that what the market it waiting for now is to see if Tesla can turn a profit.

Nobody really knows what is going to happen. But if, and that is a big IF, the Euro survives, 20,000 Model S's get built, delivered and become loved by all, then a short squeeze is inevitable.
I'm not sure "inevitable" is ever a word one can use with respect to the stock market. But I agree that if the economy gets no worse and the Model S is successful, TSLA will start to rise with the growth of the company.

Status
Not open for further replies.