Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Investor Discussions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Articles like this may help raise some awareness. Without general awareness, the pool of stock buyers won't grow and won't see reasons to go buy (and drive up the stock).

Why Tesla is Beating GM, Ford and Toyota - Electric Cars - Forbes

Apologies for the on topic post :wink:
Nice article! My comment:
This article focuses on one of the two ways that Tesla is being disruptive: the product. But the second “disruptive technology” that Tesla is bringing to the auto industry is a complete rethink of the customer experience.

Tesla sells directly to customers, with salaried associates in company-owned stores and service centers. Cutting out the middleman (the car dealer) is not new–think Dell Computers and Apple–but it’s revolutionary in the car industry. It’s actually illegal in some states! By selling directly to customers, Tesla ensures a high-quality retail experience, it maintains high quality control of every link in the customer experience, and it retains all the margins.

This model cannot be replicated by the traditional automarkers. Car dealerships actually make very little money from the sale of new cars; the profit center is the service center. This feedback subtly undermines the incentive of OEMs to make high-quality, low-maintenance cars, even though no one enjoys waiting around while their cars are being serviced.

And here we see another reason why few, if any, of the traditional OEMs will be shifting to pure EV cars any time soon: they are intrinsically more reliable. The drivetrain is simple: the only moving parts are the driveshaft, a reducer gear, the axles, and the wheels. No transmission, no oil changes. And with so little to go wrong, there’s so little for dealers to fix (and earn handsome profits). The dealers understand this; many Nissan and Chevy dealers have been hostile to indifferent to these new BEV or EREV cars.

Tesla started with two clean sheets of paper: build a great car (that happens to be all-electric), and fashion a great customer experience. Even if GM, Ford, et al. had the vision to do the first of these, they are hopelessly bogged down by the entrenched interests of the low-value-add dealer network.

Articles like this may help raise some awareness. [...]

Why Tesla is Beating GM, Ford and Toyota - Electric Cars - Forbes
Good article, though the top speed quoted is out of date. (I presume it had a faster top speed when the article was written and the early models had the two-speed transaxle to give it a higher top speed.)

Nice article! My comment: <...snip...>
We EV boosters love to talk about the lack of maintenance in EVs and the paucity of moving parts. But elsewhere we see long discussions about repair cost and frequency and speculation about what these cars will cost to keep moving after the warranty runs out, and whether $5,000 or $11,000 is worth it for a three-year extension of the warranty. Methinks we're being a bit schizophrenic here. My Prius costs me $34.50 for an oil change once every 5,000 miles or one year, whichever comes first, and my Roadster costs me $600 a year for maintenance plus $1 per mile for ranger travel. A dealership could be quite profitable selling cars at cost with maintenance fees like this. I gather they've rolled the first three years' service into the initial price for the Model S, but what happens after that?

I love my Roadster, and it's worth every penny. And if I needed a car as enormous as the Model S I'm sure I'd feel the same way about it. I didn't buy either the Xebra or the Roadster to "save money." But so far, these cars are not more economical to own and drive than either my Civic or my Prius. And the direct-to-customer model loses some of its appeal when there's a $560 travel fee for any non-warranty work, and if the car has to go in to the shop there would be additional delay as they arrange for it to be transported there and back.

The Model S customer is much less likely to buy the car if they depend on the Rangers for their service so the dollar per mile will be less of an issue. It will still happen but I think you'll find more customers (after the initial rush of enthusiasts) cluster around Tesla stores and service centers.

The Model S customer is much less likely to buy the car if they depend on the Rangers for their service so the dollar per mile will be less of an issue. It will still happen but I think you'll find more customers (after the initial rush of enthusiasts) cluster around Tesla stores and service centers.
That still leaves the car far more expensive to maintain than a stinker, and based on speculation, major repairs after the warranty period will also be far more than a reliable (Honda, Toyota) stinker.

This has been posted elsewhere, but I thought it would be interesting to those that follow this thread as we've talked about the Model S as a fleet vehicle in the past.

Fleet Services | Tesla Motors

Is that just for Europe? I would prefer Tesla powered (not necessarily branded) fleet vehicles. Who wants to buy, what is for now a quite exclusive vehicle, and have a DOT/Taxi/etc. vehicle of the same thing pull up next to them? Great for the environment, yes. But, there is a small (sometimes large) bit of ego that would be a bit crushed by this. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.