Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Investor Discussions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I do find it odd. He can't wait to tweet cash positive but suddenly develops restraint not to tell of another milestone. I know we will hear at cc but what about next week. Not asking minute to minute mundane updates but production rate was huge miss last qtr. by the way it's hear not here or hair

He probably 'got yelled at' for doing that. I believe it is illegal to do that sort of 'selective distribution of information' which is why the SEC just went after the Netflix CEO for tweeting that they reached a billion views. There are SEC social media rules in place. Elon probably learned his lesson and I wouldn't expect any other updates like that except for him posting stuff like links to articles published by other people talking about something positive for the company.
http://betabeat.com/2012/12/elon-mu...e-bothered-by-secs-social-media-restrictions/

I do find it odd. He can't wait to tweet cash positive but suddenly develops restraint not to tell of another milestone. I know we will hear at cc but what about next week. Not asking minute to minute mundane updates but production rate was huge miss last qtr. by the way it's hear not here or hair

Thanks for the English lesson, but that was just auto-complete acting up. I should have proofed it before posting, but usually when I'm mobile, I'm rushed.

In the future you might want to make sure you have all your prepositions in your post where you criticize someone else's grammar.

"not asking minute to minute updates"

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

There were a 'ton' of cars sitting outside on Christmas Day when we drove past the Fremont plant.
I had a feeling that they were getting close to the target as of the 1st of December when I picked up my car but they were near 300 / week at that time

How do you know they were at 300/week on 12/1 when you picked up car? More than one person told you hopefully... Thanks!

How do you know they were at 300/week on 12/1 when you picked up car? More than one person told you hopefully... Thanks!

close to 300, just under, from what I heard it was around 260 the week before december). We were also told to forget #'s (when a group of us was watching the station/employee times & looking at vins and sequence #'s)

I'd love to take another factory tour. Maybe someone can update from a more recent tour like last week/this week

close to 300, just under, from what I heard it was around 260 the week before december). We were also told to forget #'s (when a group of us was watching the station/employee times & looking at vins and sequence #'s)

I'd love to take another factory tour. Maybe someone can update from a more recent tour like last week/this week

260 a week isn't close to 300.

Who told you it was 260? You overheard someone in your tour group say it or did a Tesla employee tell you?
On Dec 24 I read they are producing about 200 a week and by the end of the year, 400.
http://www.jconline.com/article/20121223/NEWS/312230027/Tesla-owner-s-electric-cars-a-gas

Hopefully musk doesn't say forget numbers in cc

There were a 'ton' of cars sitting outside on Christmas Day when we drove past the Fremont plant.
I had a feeling that they were getting close to the target as of the 1st of December when I picked up my car but they were near 300 / week at that time

Just spoke to a source in the minority whip operation in the House (ie a Dem) and they've been told to prepare to whip Democratic votes for a small package that addresses taxes and defers at least some of the sequester. McConal and Reid are working the details as we speak and it's not certain exactly what will come out of the Senate, but right now she thinks its based on the original Senate bill that lets taxes rise on income over 250k. Cap gains rise as scheduled and dividends get rolled back to the new cap gain rate instead of being taxed as normal income.

She isn't really sure yet though, except that the package is expected to rely on Dem votes to pass the House and that probably doesn't happen unless its close to the original senate bill.

I'm thinking I'll dip my toes back into TSLA tonight and put some orders in. Debt Ceiling isn't a crisis for 2 months, and by this evening we should have more info about the proposed package, which I expect to boost the market and create (potentially ilfounded) confidence in Washingtons ability to get a deal done on the debt ceiling.

Um, that's what I'm doing. Finding the best bear arguments and then see if they are good enough to make me more cautious. Got any really good ones I haven't yet covered?

Honestly, I don't. (Except maybe something like: EV enthusiasts might lose their enthusiasm after a few years of working electric cars. However I think the opposite will happen, so that doesn't count.)

Re: Production Rate. I was given VIN 2383 and told it was finishing the line on 12/16. Contributor Mark on the Sequencing thread was told his VIN 3229 was "finishing the line" now. If we take "now" as tomorrow and do the math, that is 846 in 14 days or 423/week. This should be pretty close.

Nice to see this channel of more reasonable analysis after spending way too much time defending Tesla against JP's latest attack.

I believe that Tesla is out of the woods and pretty much a sure thing.

Elon Musk has done it. He came up with a formula for how to make it work and then executed it well.

He created a car that is priced equal to or less than equivalent ICE cars in the same luxury class, and that operates at 20% or less of the cost of those cars, while out performing them on the road and with zero emissions.

He got the factory up to speed and operational, a little late, but it's done! He is shipping cars left and right.
The cars are winning awards left and right. There is a tremendous amount of excitement around the car!

Now we are entering a phase where momentum is building around the car as they are hitting the streets and more and more people are becoming aware of the advantages of this car, how cool it is, and how well it performs.

I wasn't that excited about the Leaf, or the Volt. I have never been this excited about any car as I am the Model S, and I am not alone, and that is by design- this is not supposed to be just another EV, it's designed to be the best best car, ever.

Most people don't realize that there is basically already a charging station at every house (120VAC outlet worst case) and because of that, with a little planning, an EV is MORE convenient than an ICE car for 99% of trips, not less convenient. There is no stop at the gas station anymore-- not to mention changing of oil and many other routine maintenance rituals embedded in ICE cars.

The supercharger stations turn this into a slam dunk.

The supercharger stations eliminate the very last adoption hurdle - the ability to take long trips. Sure it will take a couple of years to roll out, but people in the target demographic of the Model S can afford to wait and Tesla's business model at this phase is designed to survive and prosper on that relatively low volume of sales.

So maybe the best course of action we can take is to just buy long as much as we can, and hold. The more people shorting the stock, the bigger the short squeeze will be down the road.

Nice to see this channel of more reasonable analysis after spending way too much time defending Tesla against JP's latest attack.

I believe that Tesla is out of the woods and pretty much a sure thing.

Elon Musk has done it. He came up with a formula for how to make it work and then executed it well.

He created a car that is priced equal to or less than equivalent ICE cars in the same luxury class, and that operates at 20% or less of the cost of those cars, while out performing them on the road and with zero emissions.

He got the factory up to speed and operational, a little late, but it's done! He is shipping cars left and right.
The cars are winning awards left and right. There is a tremendous amount of excitement around the car!

Now we are entering a phase where momentum is building around the car as they are hitting the streets and more and more people are becoming aware of the advantages of this car, how cool it is, and how well it performs.

I wasn't that excited about the Leaf, or the Volt. I have never been this excited about any car as I am the Model S, and I am not alone, and that is by design- this is not supposed to be just another EV, it's designed to be the best best car, ever.

Most people don't realize that there is basically already a charging station at every house (120VAC outlet worst case) and because of that, with a little planning, an EV is MORE convenient than an ICE car for 99% of trips, not less convenient. There is no stop at the gas station anymore-- not to mention changing of oil and many other routine maintenance rituals embedded in ICE cars.

The supercharger stations turn this into a slam dunk.

The supercharger stations eliminate the very last adoption hurdle - the ability to take long trips. Sure it will take a couple of years to roll out, but people in the target demographic of the Model S can afford to wait and Tesla's business model at this phase is designed to survive and prosper on that relatively low volume of sales.

So maybe the best course of action we can take is to just buy long as much as we can, and hold. The more people shorting the stock, the bigger the short squeeze will be down the road.

I agree with everything you said above and I'm a long term investor.

Re: Production Rate. I was given VIN 2383 and told it was finishing the line on 12/16. Contributor Mark on the Sequencing thread was told his VIN 3229 was "finishing the line" now. If we take "now" as tomorrow and do the math, that is 846 in 14 days or 423/week. This should be pretty close.

VERY good news!!!

- - - Updated - - -

VERY good news!!!

TESLA the nex DELOREAN? NO WAY JOSE!

TESLA the nex DELOREAN? NO WAY JOSE!

From the inception of TESLA motor’s IPO, many doubters have been comparing this company to the failures of other automotive companies such as Tucker and most notoriously, Delorean. Ever since the successful launch of Ford’s IPO over 60 years ago, approximately 5 other automotive companies have attempted to become the next big 4 of the American automotive industry—all have failed. It was from this premise that led many doubters to short TESLA stocks, betting that this new startup company would also meet the same fate as Delorean. However, as a historian and independent stock analyst, I am betting that TESLA will NOT meet the same fate as Delorean, but on the contrary, TESLA will be the next big 4. However, to understand why TESLA will succeed, we must first analyze why Delorean failed.

First let’s examine the company CEO

Delorean’s CEO was John Delorean. John Delorean quickly rose above the ranks in the automotive world and was making approximately $600,000 a year after bonuses at his peak (about $1.5 million in today’s money). Although Delorean had immense success while working with GM, we cannot compare his intellectual capability to that of ELon Musk, who is a certified Genius. By age 10, Musk was a self taught computer programmer and by age 12, had invented his first video game and sold it for $500. By the age of 28, Musk was a self made millionaire after selling his internet software publishing company known as Zip2 to Compaq for approximately $340 million in cash and stock options. If this isn’t enough to persuade you that Musk was destined for great accomplishments, his next big invention was PayPal, which sold to Ebay in 2002 for $1.5 BILLION.

Aside from being a brilliant entrepreneur and computer programmer, Musk is also a genius physicist who owns another business--a rocket company known as SpaceX. Currently Musk’s rocket company has billions of dollars in contracts from NASA, private satellite launches and the U.S military. SpaceX is the only private rocket company in the world that has successfully demonstrated its ability to dock with International Space Station. SpaceX has been so successful in building rockets, that it is capable of building its product efficiently enough to be less expensive than the entire Chinese government can; therefore, proving another of Musk strengths—his ability to innovate and invent. SpaceX currently owns the only known equipment in the world to build rockets so efficient that it will cost less if you contract with them rather than the Chinese.
It is through Musk’s genius that led him to create the TESLA Roadster, an electric car capable of zooming from the speed of 0-60 in 3.9 seconds, comparatively; Musk’s Roadster is faster than the Ferrari Modena Spider and F430 which clocks at 0-60 time of about 4 seconds. Imagine that! An electric car that’s faster than a Ferrari. Therefore, it’s through Elon’s genius and entrepreneur background that makes him a much more qualified engineer and CEO than John Delorean.
Delorean on the other hand was in financial trouble, he was indicted for being in a drug smuggling scheme to help finance his car company, this ultimately led to his company’s downfall as the company was in financial troubles. Delorean’s net worth was very minor compared to Musk, although a $600,000 annual salary was impressive, its nowhere comparable to Musk’s net worth which is somewhere in the billions. Another characteristic that sets Musk leagues apart from Delorean is Musk’s pulling power. When Musk talks, Washington listens, he is one of the best lobbyist and salesman to date, his presence commands attention. This was very much evident when SpaceX, a new startup company won contracts from NASA and U.S military when it competed in the ranks of Lockheed and Boeing. Even the state of California bent over backwards to lobby for Musk’s TESLA Motors to be stationed in the golden state. Presently if you buy a MODEL S in California, you will receive a $2,500 rebate check from the state and a HOV carpool pass. California also awarded TESLA $10,000,000 with incentive towards the production of it’s next vehicle—the model X. By the time Delorean had produce his first vehicle, the DMC-12, he was already in financial trouble. This is where we really draw the line between TESLA and Delorean. Despite being in financial trouble early on, Musk’s aggressive style investment in SpaceX, Solarcity and TESLA simultaneously proved to be a huge success. Clearly out of the woods in terms financial hardship, Musk led TESLA into the production of its 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] vehicle the MODEL S, and by next year the MODEL X, within 3 years the mass market 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] generation rumored to be known as “bluestar” will be available to the market around 30-40k. Presently, as of December 31, 2012, the MODEL S is virtually sold out with 19,983 anxious buyers.

Second, lets examine the Delorean DMC-12 to the TESLA Model S as both vehicles have comparable prices.

A Delorean DMC-12 would have cost you about $25,000 (which equates to about $63,000 in today’s money). However, take a closer look at a Delorean, and you will understand why this car was overpriced. First the Delorean 0-60 time clocked in at about 10.5 seconds by the Road&Track Magazine. While the TESLA Model S costing $52,000 base price (after rebates) has a 0-60 time of 6.5 seconds. Thus, the Delorean is a slow sports car at best, for the asking price Delorean was competing in the same market with faster sports cars such as Corvettes. The Model S, however, is in a class of its own, where else can you find a sleek sports luxury sedan capable of seating up to 7 passengers with sleek styling that runs on electric? Arguably, the Delorean DMC-12 was indeed a very stylish and sleek car during its time; however, asking 63k for a gas guzzling slow sports car is by the far not the right way of approaching the automotive market. The slow Delorean reportedly gets only 20MPG, thus further contributing it to failure. Why would anyone pay more for a slower vehicle that demands more Gas per miles of travel? This explains why Delorean reservations were extremely slow compared to that of the MODEL S. On the other hand, TESLA approached the automotive business by tapping into a new market. This market is one where the consumer would rather pay much less for MPG, instead of pumping gas into their cars, customers can fill up their battery with electricity—at a much cheaper cost. Furthermore, TESLA’s genius is that it ultimately was able to break the notion that electric cars are ugly, small and un-cool. By making the MODEL S fast, stylish, and roomy they are able to command higher prices for the vehicle. With a goal of only selling 20,000 Model S for 2013, TESLA is virtually sold out and the New Year has barely started TODAY.
Besides the cool, electric, stylish, spacious, luxury, and speed factor; the MODEL S has one more quality to it that the Delorean lacked—advance technology. The model S is the only car where it’s command center is a 17inch LCD touch screen. Not only is the touch screen an automotive marvel, it’s instantaneously responsive, smooth and more powerful than your IPAD. Additional tech such as regenerative GASING is available on the car; this means that the moment you release the gas pedal, the MODEL S immediately uses the kinetic energy to regenerate power into its batteries. The MODEL S also has better handling as the vehicle has a lower center of gravity, which gives the driver better control and less “roll” when the vehicle makes sharp turns.
Clearly, the MODEL S is worth the money for what the consumer is getting in return. Although only a small fraction of Americans can afford this car, TESLA claims that it would be profitable if 10,000 Model S are sold per year, a goal that appears within reach as production ramps up to 400 vehicles per week.

Third let’s examine the factories.

DeLorean’s factory was approximately 600,000 Square Foot set in Northern Ireland. It cannot possibly compare to TESLA’s NUMMI 5.3 million square foot plant set in America where it’s main customer base is located. The NUMMI plant is capable of producing up to 600,000 vehicles per year. TESLA bought the Nummi from a joint adventure of Toyota and GM. After buying the NUMMI plant, Tesla went to work and immediately sought after Detroit’s manufacturing tools and equipment during the downturn of the automotive industry and acquired those equipments for pennies on the dollar, saving TESLA billions of dollars in cash. Today, Tesla owns some of the world’s biggest aluminum stamping machines capable of producing hundreds of Model S per week at NUMMI. If you are curious about the NUMMI plant, I recommend you visit Youtube and type in the word “TESLA NATIONAL GEOGRAPHICS” and you will get a clearer understanding of production. No word or writing can convey what you will learn from watching this video, enjoy. I AM LONG TESLA

Um, that's what I'm doing. Finding the best bear arguments and then see if they are good enough to make me more cautious. Got any really good ones I haven't yet covered?

Domestic oil prices are dropping compared to world prices as North American demand drops and production rises and the infrastructure to export the excess isn't developed. This could reduce the demand for people to switch to electric in the medium term until that gets corrected.

Status
Not open for further replies.