Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Investor Discussions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you really believe it's the beginning of a short squeeze, hold on for the ride. Lack of sellers means that the people who are being forced to buy to cover just have to drive the price higher. Of course, knowing when to pull the trigger gets harder and harder. Look at Qualcomm (QCOM) at the end of 1999, for example... it would have been a great Christmas present, if only my options were vested.

I guess my strategy will be to start selling dribbles at mid 40s, and then re-evaluate. But I'm still mostly in for the long haul.

I already have 1000 of TSLA and 1000 of SCTY, I'm considering buy 1000 more of each, not sure whether to get in now or wait for the official earnings call.

Buying this close to the earnings call is not investing, it's gambling. Unless you live in Utah, go put the money on Black.
Always better to wait until afterwards in my experience. Or at least just buy 500 before, and see what happens after. If it goes up, great, you have 500 more shares. If it goes down, then you can buy 500 more at a better position. Also, try to not listen to the "the short squeeze is imminent" talk. If I had a dollar for everytime the short squeeze was forecasted in this thread, I could have two model S's!

Although my training is in neuroscience and not finance :)

What is strange is that short interest increasing with price increases last two days. They won't give up

No, it makes tremendous sense if you think the price is going to go back down.

- - - Updated - - -

In the light of +4.75% this morning I am not feeling as good about my move yesterday :)

You made a 33% annual return; in all honesty it makes sense to sell the rest take the 37-38% return, be happy and wait....I know that statement might be "red meat" here but TSLA remains a volatile stock; that means down as well as up.

Mid 40's is my magic number range as well.

Two things that can kind of drive us nuts tomorrow.

- Dealers in MA are appealing the decision by the courts about Tesla Stores
- Toyota and BMW just announced a green partnership. I believe this can swing the needle in either direction.

Dealers in MA are appealing the decision by the courts about Tesla Stores

There is nothing for them to appeal. The Natick board of Selectmen voted to give Tesla a MA dealers license. End of story.
stop crying over spilled milk, they lost, suck it up and move on. They really have no grounds for any appeal.
The judge has already dismissed the case as well. I never saw such a whiny bunch of losers :)

Mid 40's is my magic number range as well.

Two things that can kind of drive us nuts tomorrow.

- Dealers in MA are appealing the decision by the courts about Tesla Stores
- Toyota and BMW just announced a green partnership. I believe this can swing the needle in either direction.

Looks like the Toyota-BMW is largely a co-development of fuel-cell by 2020 and some work to improve L-ion batteries over time... nothing there... moving on

Agree with Mitch above- from what I read, there's no standing under the law to bar a company that does not currently have dealerships that direct sales would compete against. Tesla has a license now issued for direct sales per their business model world-wide; these suits have virtually no where to go now- In fact, the Tesla lawyers will now use this ruling to bolster position in other states;

- - - Updated - - -

yep -looks like shorts started covering today as the $36 stop was crossed

http://www.shortanalytics.com/getshortchart.php?tsymbol=TSLA

Guys I have been trying to decide when to get in. At this point I think I need to wait. I have to believe there will be some sell off. However, i think this could blow up in my face if the Earnings Call contains the info I expect.

1- Met delivery targets for 2012
2- Production @ 400+ per week
3- Reservation demand continues even after price increase announcement

The only piece I think that may be detrimental is initial GM% may be a little low due to initial costs of rush deliveries in Q4.

Any thoughts? Wait, dip toe or go all in?

Guys I have been trying to decide when to get in. At this point I think I need to wait. I have to believe there will be some sell off. However, i think this could blow up in my face if the Earnings Call contains the info I expect.

The only piece I think that may be detrimental is initial GM% may be a little low due to initial costs of rush deliveries in Q4.

I believe a miss on 4th qtr not important. The most important factor rate of production. Gm important but of course ramp up inexperience employees all will improve and so will gm. I suspect the 400 cars per week is low. Reservation in the 15000s given feb march delivery dates. The 16000s getting April may dates. This despite starting to produce for Europe. Production most likely a lot higher than 400, maybe 500 or 600. Management statements that company is at full factory capacity very vague without knowing what that is. This site has been useful in past for following stats but less so now. Fewer posting (previously people with long waits nothing to do but post now less "community involvement"). Reservation number, who knows. Have to wait for report. A very positive report may provide Netflix like response (their short percentage of float half of tsla). Scared to be out and scared to stay in

I believe a miss on 4th qtr not important. The most important factor rate of production. Gm important but of course ramp up inexperience employees all will improve and so will gm. I suspect the 400 cars per week is low. Reservation in the 15000s given feb march delivery dates. The 16000s getting April may dates. This despite starting to produce for Europe. Production most likely a lot higher than 400, maybe 500 or 600. Management statements that company is at full factory capacity very vague without knowing what that is. This site has been useful in past for following stats but less so now. Fewer posting (previously people with long waits nothing to do but post now less "community involvement"). Reservation number, who knows. Have to wait for report. A very positive report may provide Netflix like response (their short percentage of float half of tsla). Scared to be out and scared to stay in

PPL Thanks for your help! UGH :crying:

I would not get in at this point.

I think what is happening here is that the market has slowly come to realize what you just said. By the time we get to the actual announcement, I don't think there is going to be much more of a run-up. The market is pricing this information in already. With every passing day, the probability that there are more gains ahead as opposed to a sell-off gets slimmer and slimmer. I'd wait for the inevitable profit taking before stepping in.

That said, if you are really paranoid about missing a big move, I'd say go ahead and buy some; but by "some" I mean something on the order of 20% of the total position you would like to have. If you end up buying at a near-term high (which I think is pretty likely) then you'll have plenty of cash to add to your position when we sell off. On the other hand, if I'm wrong and the stock never looks back from here, you'd at least have some exposure to that.

You're in a pickle, that's for sure. There's good reasons for getting in now, and there's equally good reasons for waiting to see what happens at earnings call. One way to counteract that indecision is to get a few now, then wait and see what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.