Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Investor Discussions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Interestingly, the Atlantic Wire POV was pretty much my take as well. If you reread the original article while looking at the data (and ignore Elon's comments), there is definitely inaccuracies and omissions, but I'm not sure there are the sort of blatant lies that Elon suggests. However, continually adding explanations for things he failed to mention in the first place does the reporter no good. It was clear he was not driving in the careful fashion he leads us to believe in the article, and instead was deliberately attempting to push the envelope while doing the bare minimum to follow the instructions from Tesla to see what would happen, and then writing up the results in a purposefully misleading way.

Interestingly, the Atlantic Wire POV was pretty much my take as well. If you reread the original article while looking at the data (and ignore Elon's comments), there is definitely inaccuracies and omissions, but I'm not sure there are the sort of blatant lies that Elon suggests. However, continually adding explanations for things he failed to mention in the first place does the reporter no good. It was clear he was not driving in the careful fashion he leads us to believe in the article, and instead was deliberately attempting to push the envelope while doing the bare minimum to follow the instructions from Tesla to see what would happen, and then writing up the results in a purposefully misleading way.

Exactly. This was my impression as well. I dont believe this person was operating in good faith.

He may have some good points, if he was in fact following some of the advice from Tesla employees, which it does seem to have been contradictory at times. The idea of slowing down and speeding up to use regen for example was terrible advice, if that's what he was told, as was the advice to leave the last charger after only 28% charge had been added.

He may have some good points, if he was in fact following some of the advice from Tesla employees, which it does seem to have been contradictory at times. The idea of slowing down and speeding up to use regen for example was terrible advice, if that's what he was told, as was the advice to leave the last charger after only 28% charge had been added.

I'm skeptical of that. He has said 2 different things. He has said that Tesla cleared him to leave when he did. But in terms of specific quotes, and his timeline, he points to a discussion with 2 Tesla reps who say that he should be ok if he charges it for an hour. The implication of that quote is that it was made before the charging began. He has not given a quote where he makes it clear that Tesla was aware he was leaving with 32 miles of rated range for a 60 mile trip.

He makes some good points ... the only problem is its easy to make good points when you are saying whatever helps your cause with no worries about the truth. While I can see some of the points he makes .... if you take his first article with his last one it is very clear he has an agenda. He was not being honest for sure

Now at the logs show what he was really doing, like driving in circles in a parking lot for Christ sake, he's resorting to unrecorded Tesla instructions. I'm surprised after seeing the proven elements of his misdirection and non truths, clearly showing someone bright enough to know how much not to charge in order to fail, that some on this board lend any possible truth to his claims of Tesla conversations that we know are not consistent with e Tesla people we know.

Time to call it people

Some people have previously reported Tesla employees with a poor grasp of the technology, and I was never comfortable with Musk's claim that he drove around in circles for half a mile trying to drain the battery since that seems unlikely and there is no GPS track of that, just speculation from the vehicle speed logs.

Some people have previously reported Tesla employees with a poor grasp of the technology, and I was never comfortable with Musk's claim that he drove around in circles for half a mile trying to drain the battery since that seems unlikely and there is no GPS track of that, just speculation from the vehicle speed logs.

Both of those conjectures (NYTimes test being monitored by an employee not familiar with the technology) and 'uncomfortableness' are MUCH more difficult to believe than what you would have to believe from the reporter.

It's not even a close call. He was certainly doing something in Manhattan besides making a concerted effort to test "the Tesla Super charge highway". When the next test shows an easy point A to Point B result, will you attribute the success to more informed employee giving better advice about 'when it says 35 miles you can't go 90'?

Your exactly making my case

Time to call it for what it was

Edit:
Before you or anyone else responds and makes more foolish comments, you might want to check this out (Twitter feeds are linked)
CNN Reproducing NYT Trip | Forums | Tesla Motors
As CNNMoney just finished the exact same trip without even breaking a sweat, not even being careful, lots of juice left, no problems.

I suppose they talked to a different Tesla employee...

The official report
Test drive: DC to Boston in a Tesla Model S - Feb. 15, 2013

Once again... It's time to call it what it was and you all know it...

They actually went further than Times test and had many many miles to spare. Maybe it wasn't as cold today... Hmmm no, that wasn't it.... It's all just so confusing... They must not have talked to any of those confounded Tesla employees that mess with the mind... That must be it. Course that would mean Broden is even dumber than they are. Really, how far are you guys willing let this scammer take you, after all Tesla team has accomplished.
Elon tweet:
Elon: "How can @CNN drive even further than Broder (normal speed & temp) and arrive with range to spare? Test drive: DC to Boston in a Tesla Model S - Feb. 15, 2013

Last edited:
IMHO, it seems to me the best thing to do is to investigate the claims about the Tesla personnel advising Mr. Broder, investigate the cold weather discharge claims for that particular vehicle, and most certainly offer a re-test with the same vehicle, but maybe work on an improved set of advice before, during and after the test. It just seems like some opportunities might have been missed by less-than-ideal communication. This happens all the time in every company and in any relationship for that matter. The thing I dislike most about the whole thing is the tone/language on both sides. I think it may have been hasty to print accusations (both sides) and I'm hoping Tesla and NYT work it out with each other soon.

If they are hitting the 8 minuets takt time then they are correct in assuming a run rate of 450 cars a week whch would be very good news indeed.

I've been tracking freshly assigned VINs for a while. I believe this is the best method to gauge production rate as the VIN are assigned at a specific time in production and then becomes available to the owner-to-be. Either via direct contact with Tesla or via the app.

Conside these data points:

17/1 3832
31/1 4768
12/2 5492

(5492-3832)/26 days*7 (for a week)=447 car per week for the whole period.
For January: 468 per week
For February: 422 per week

Seems pretty consistent as the two periods have the same number for saturdays+sundays in them. Removing those days as production days get us 452 for the second period instead for 422. Very close.

Both of those conjectures (NYTimes test being monitored by an employee not familiar with the technology) and 'uncomfortableness' are MUCH more difficult to believe than what you would have to believe from the reporter.

It's not even a close call. He was certainly doing something in Manhattan besides making a concerted effort to test "the Tesla Super charge highway". When the next test shows an easy point A to Point B result, will you attribute the success to more informed employee giving better advice about 'when it says 35 miles you can't go 90'?

Sorry, but I'm still inclined to believe there was some confusion involved. Broder would not be the first individual to lack common sense, and coupled with some bad advice the trip could end up as it did. Of course it could have easily been avoided, but when thousands of people run out of gas on a daily basis with well established technology I don't find it unbelievable the same could happen with new technology that behaves completely differently in colder weather. Did Broder have an agenda and purposely run out of charge? Yes, that is quite possible as well. We'll probably never know the truth.

Status
Not open for further replies.