Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand the anti Saudi sentiment on this thread (had the same bias myself at first), but are you aware that the person in charge of the large investment is Mohammed bin Salman who is a big sustainability advocate and known for preparing Saudi Arabia for the end of oil. I believe the rushed announcement had more to do with Elon's concern the stock price would go up to high for him and his financial backers to take the company private so he was trying to get ahead of a precipitous climb.
Not to hijack ...but the SA will need MAJOR changes before they approach any kind of Modernity. No more hands cut off Equal rights for women and gay's just to start.

Are you joking? Do you understand what "addressed" means? It means Elon mentioned funding. It means absolutely nothing. This statement was designed to say absolutely nothing substantive about funding.

No, addressed means a solution had been found and was acceptable, otherwise the word would be "investigate" or "discuss"

The investors have likely already bought the shares at <420 and have formed a >50% voting block.
Elon has 20%, only need 8 billionaires with 4% each to complete the group (2.1 billion each @$300 sp) . Add on capital for whatever non-converting float remains (which increases their share value)

Elon Musk
@elonmusk
Investor support is confirmed. Only reason why this is not certain is that it’s contingent on a shareholder vote.

Are you counting registered debt holders? Asset Line creditors?

I haven't finished reading, but $420/share is well above "par" share price for all TSLA convertible notes (nearly $3.3 billion principal outstanding).

"
If: ... we are a party to a consolidation, merger, combination, statutory or binding share exchange or similar transaction involving us pursuant to which our common stock would be converted into, or exchanged for, cash, securities or other property or assets, or any sale, conveyance, lease or other transfer or similar transaction in one transaction or a series of transactions of all or substantially all of the consolidated assets of ours and our subsidiaries, taken as a whole, the notes may be surrendered by a holder for conversion at any time from or after the date that is 30 scheduled trading days prior to the anticipated effective date of the transaction (or, if later, the business day after we give notice of such transaction) until the close of business on the 35th trading day after the actual effective date of such transaction or, if such transaction also constitutes a fundamental change, until the close of business on the business day immediately preceding the relevant fundamental change purchase date.

Yep yep. They just found out about the Saudi money, and released the "considering taking it private" news the *same day*. I think the timing is NOT coincidental. I think the going-private plan has been in progress for a while but it had to be revealed early, because he wants to lock the Saudis out of increasing their share further, and prevent them from gaining control.

I suspect his buddies who are providing funding don't like the Saudis much either.

Putting the company into "tender offer" play may be the best move to lock out the Saudis, though if the Saudis make their own tender offer... things would get sticky. I wouldn't tender my shares to the Saudis even if their offer was much higher, though; that government has been so evil that my rather minimal "ethical investing" filter kicks in.

My assumption is just the opposite. I assume the financers of the deal are the Saudi’s. They wanted a significant chunk of Tesla (either as diversification, or maybe just because they also have big chunks of the other car manufacturers iirc) and couldn’t get that as part of a capital raise. Now that they have their 5%, they may want everything else that they can get at 420. Elon visited the Saudi’s not so long agoo iirc, this may have been the plan all along and explain Elon’s certainty about exterminating the shorts.

My assumption is just the opposite. I assume the financers of the deal are the Saudi’s. They wanted a significant chunk of Tesla (either as diversification, or maybe just because they also have big chunks of the other car manufacturers iirc) and couldn’t get that as part of a capital raise. Now that they have their 5%, they may want everything else that they can get at 420. Elon visited the Saudi’s not so long agoo iirc, this may have been the plan all along and explain Elon’s certainty about exterminating the shorts.

I don't disagree with Elon much, but if his plan here is to use Saudi money for this then I VEHEMENTLY SAY NO. This is an awful idea.

Have to make an announcement if one person *or an organized group* corners 5% of the shares outstanding. That SEC rule is still enforced.

That said... I calculated a while ago that the number of shares held by "weak institutional longs" was roughly equal to the number of shares sold short (maybe 1 to 10 million shares larger). Since then the Saudis have bought 3%, and an unknown consortium could have bought any amount less than 5%.

Um... I don't think there are going to be enough shares for the shorts to buy, not unless the price goes up further.

That's the reason.

So if the purchasing were not organized as a group, and each member were <5%, it is kosher?

Agree, the shorts will need to push the price up, I'm hypothesizing there is insufficient float to cover..

Yeah, anyway, there are a lot of people with good reason to vote against the offer. If you're going to be forced out and you think it's lowball, or if your friends are gonna be forced out and you don't want them to be... I'd vote no.

Maybe Musk will come up with something for all these scenarios, but I doubt it.

No. Just no. Unless of course you want to be like so many others where it’s all about the money. Big picture. Please. And thank you.

Ugh. If it's the Saudis I don't know what I'll do -- I don't want to sell to them and I don't want to be a minority shareholder with them running things. :-( Also, it would have to pass CFIUS.

Status
Not open for further replies.