Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Musk, based on his letter, seems to think about 60 million shares will be sold by people wanting/needing to be bought out at $420. More than enough to cover 35 million shorts. And yes, nobody is forgetting that the shorts exist, so if they think that they can make more money selling to them than to the Saudis, they'll do so - even if that means not getting a chance to vote their shares (the conclusion will probably be foregone by that point) or whatnot.
Also, by NOT selling now they get (if applicable, which I hope) a choice between conversion of their present shares into the new, private kind, OR a buyout from the financiers at 420. So it seems the only reason to sell to shorts now is if you need cash right now (respectable). Unless they elect to sell to shorts later for a higher price, but before the changeover, of course.

Reactions: Xorbit and EinSV
Great to see this process move forward. Looking forward to hearing the FUD story of the day. What will it be now? I bet there will be even more FUD around shareholders rejecting the proposal (it would be a nice repeat from the SolarCity merger)...

EDIT: Arrgghh - I should just look at TMC without my ignore list on, then I would have known exactly what the FUD of the day was... Ok, never mind - moving right along...

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Ulmo
I don't have the citation right now, but there were several articles about how a large number of Republican campaigns in 2012-2016, specifically, had been turned into fundraising shell games which were designed to benefit the candidate or the funder or the person organizing the PAC, and not *really* intended to win elections. There was an article explaining how a bunch of right-wing political organizations were basically just direct mail scams. So this may be another variant of the same thing.

It's a little sad to see how common this has gotten. (And no, it's not happening with any significant number of Democratic campaigns; I won't speculate as to why.)

Good point....however, I look at all political fund raising campaigns (both parties) as shell games (since for most of them it's about power and accumulating wealth while in office/post office vs. serving the people).

Explain this.

No need to explain it to you, you already said you’re out. The remaining investors here inherently know that’s flufferbot text just to give those not intellectually smart enough to critically think comfort that nothing stupid will be allowed to happen regarding the transaction as a whole. It’s the committee’s job to work for the board and protect the board’s interests, which is Tesla. Works the same way on the other side of the aisle. But rest assured you’ll be relieved if your investment toute suite when the shareholders vote yes to privatization.

Status
Not open for further replies.