Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Laura Unger, former Chair of the SEC did not help the scandal that CNBC is constantly trying to generate!!

Scott Wapner: Do you have an issue with the sheer dissemination of potentially market-moving and material information by a CEO on Twitter itself?

Laura Unger: No. Because, the duty is to make an honest and truthful statement, and not a misleading statement, and so that goes no matter what the medium or mechanism is to make that statement. And I think the Commission wants to encourage broad dissemination of information, and certainly the internet makes that possible, so I don't think the regulator of market information, and the regulator of investors having access to that information would say "this is the wrong medium" - but I also think it can send a strong signal that you must be honest and truthful in your disclosures on that medium.

And with that answer, her interview was over!!!

I think we are all in agreement that Elon was honest and truthful when he sent out his tweet(s), so once the financial scandal media figure this out, they will stop broadcasting bullshit.

I think the issue is far from clear cut. SECs are made of people who have different opinions. I think on one hand it is very difficult for SEC to go to the worse case scenario and bring charges, as that requires proof of the intention of market manipulation. On the other than it is understandable for many people in SEC think 'funding secured' is simply false, thus require regulatory actions.

pure guessing here. Elon will not be let off the hook easily, but maybe he can keep his post as CEO

I think the issue is far from clear cut. SECs are made of people who have different opinions. I think on one hand it is very difficult for SEC to go to the worse case scenario and bring charges, as that requires proof of the intention of market manipulation. On the other than it is understandable for many people in SEC think 'funding secured' is simply false, thus require regulatory actions.

pure guessing here. Elon will not be let off the hook easily, but maybe he can keep his post as CEO

Strongly disagree.
Elon simply was reported to SEC, and SEC is under pressure to investigate.

Yeah...a guess...and not a very good one either.

Reactions: Electroman and loky
Not just 100% of Tesla shares - of the entire portfolio. If you only have 10% of money in TSLA and rolling 100% of 10% that still does not show a high level of confidence.
Previous posters talked about rolling some of their shares private and keeping some shares to sell to covering shorts at a, hopefully, higher price. I'm glad that I asked for clarification.

No, we're not rolling our entire portfolios into Tesla for 2 reasons:
1. Our portfolios are part of our retirement package that our employers contribute to.
2. If I could I still wouldn't. I'm concerned that Elon will lose controlling interest in Tesla. I know that he is smart enough to have safeguards in place that should keep that from happening.
However, the Saudi's or any group of investors can make "Straw Man" purchases that can/would bypass those safeguards or offer piles of money to existing shareholders to vote their way.

The ROI in controlling Tesla and shutting it down and thereby eliminating the worldwide disruption that Elon is causing/will cause is huge.

We're still LONG and support the mission.

Last edited:
Reactions: neroden
Not his company. He merely sat on the board and spent very little time overseeing it - I think obviously that’s true otherwise it wouldn’t have worked the way it did. He’d have steered that ship differently, don’t you think?

It makes zero sense for him to backpedal the $420 when at the same time he’s been clear he wants to help all longs go private with Tesla. It would be out of character and up to this point he’s been true to his character - frustratingly so on occasion.
I mean, Tesla was the one making the offer and after conferring with the advisors, they dialed it down.

In any case, I am hoping for the offer to be upped from 420, as I plan to liquidate a portion of my shares and go private with the rest. The higher this price is, the more I'd be going private with.

IMO, this SEC thing is so empty. Recall, I'm the guy who correctly predicted the reason why he Tweeted vs other channels - because it hits us private and the institutional investors at the same time... even a better approach per their own rules IMO.

It's just more goal post moving like the M3, 5K, SR version, 6K, Profit,10K, China, EU... Exactly why he wants off this train along with 99.9% of us here. The uneducated people that freak out over the fake news or drama, along with a certain Party in the US, will get what they deserve and Nov should be interesting on both counts.

Oh and I forgot one more reason... a gigantic meteor is headed our way.

Strongly disagree.
Elon simply was reported to SEC, and SEC is under pressure to investigate.

I never question that Elon was truthful with the intention of letting the small investors like us know about what's happening. However this is unprecedented and it is not how 'business as usual' works. Lawyers in SEC are familiar with the old way and may not see things the same as we do when facing scenarios that they never saw before. People's reaction usually are trying to draw analogy to something they knew, which may not be something good.

And there are many different interpretation of 'secured'. It is not the first time Elon tweeted and even longs have more than a handful interpretations of what exact he meant. It seems to me Elon has never cared about being precise in his tweets. Hopefully it would get better in future days.

On a lighter note... I woke this morning and was bummed for about 5 minutes because of today's dip and I could have gotten in lower than yesterday.

Then I realized I own even more of one of the best companies in the world! That's a wonderful thing at any price and we are so fortunate we can even do this at all.

Laura Unger, former Chair of the SEC did not help the scandal that CNBC is constantly trying to generate!!

You missed the part where she mis-quoted Elon's tweet by stating he said "I'm taking Tesla private" (possibly paraphrasing here) rather than what he actually said. Sadly there's no due diligence made by reporters and their guests. They just repeat incorrect and false information they "heard" others report as being the truth. But I guess I'm preaching to the choir here. :)

On a lighter note... I woke this morning and was bummed for about 5 minutes because of today's dip and I could have gotten in lower than yesterday.

Then I realized I own even more of one of the best companies in the world! That's a wonderful thing at any price and we are so fortunate we can even do this at all.
Here Here....I got out late morning and drove my car from the future to my visit my 88 year old mom.
She calms me down and lets me see the world in a clearer light. Then I had lunch with my 21 year old son and caught some of his enthusiasm for the future. That made me happy to own one of the few stocks I feel worth holding long term!

Status
Not open for further replies.