Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Everything you just said there is untrue - ordinarily bond traders don't give a crap about stock price, in this case they care a little more (but not a whole lot) because of the potential of debt conversion to equity.

However the bonds are tanking because it's becoming apparent to almost everyone (aside from some delusional outliers) that Tesla are really going to struggle to fund the debt, R&D for the Y, the Truck and continue to ramp up production for lower margin cars, all at the same time. The math doesn't add up even with the most optimistic forecasts. Everyone knows Q3 and Q4 will look rosey because of the higher ASP models being focused on right now. The rubber hits the road in 2019 when higher proportion of lower priced cars are being sold at the same time as debt obligations coming due, a needed boost in R&D, a focus on the semi and additional competition in the market, along with (what is apparently waning demand) because original reservationists were counting on the Fed Tax refund and won't get all of it.

This isn't FUD (in fact it's absolutely certain and there is very little doubt), it has nothing to do with short sellers, it has nothing to so with Musk's antics, it's simply a reality bond traders especially are considering and (it would seem) hedging somewhat heavily.

While this would reduce long term commitments, it might not make sense because new debt would be surely issued at a higher rate, and I don't think Tesla can manage this with the above factors I mentioned. All that cash flow needs to go into R&D, global factories and ramping up semi production.

Last word: I'm not joining the chorus of FUD - I'm a fan of Tesla, I have my $75k Performance almost in my hands, but dismissing this as 'typical' and 'cyclical' and they could 'just buy their bonds back' is nonsense.

Not so expert as most, but how do you think rising interest rates affect bond prices? Does that factor in to your analysis?

The funny thing is that bond investors look to the stock price to tell them what the market thinks their credit risk is while the stock investors here are led to look at what the bond market thinks the bankruptcy risk is. Basically, when the stock price is down, bond prices will reflect that. The shorts are trying to create a vicious cycle, where negativity in bonds echoes back with more negativity in stocks.

One thing that can put a check on this vicious cycle is for Tesla to start to use its cash flow to repurchase bonds. The current bonds are a good place to start because they must be paid in a few months any way, so why not buy them out cheap, below par?
Current bonds obviously are not cheap. That's why you won't see any information about.
They point 2025 bonds which are universally 8.5% for B3+.
So if your bonds are 5.5% in 2025 any investors software will automatically derate it in 8.5 or 100$->88$.

Last edited:
Reactions: neroden
Everything you just said there is untrue - ordinarily bond traders don't give a crap about stock price, in this case they care a little more (but not a whole lot) because of the potential of debt conversion to equity.
Are you familiar with Altman Z-score and other credit models. These models are based on the idea tha equity is a residual claim on enterprise value after debt is paid. This makes equity essentially a call option with strike determined by the level of debt. From that insight, most credit models include some component relating to the market cap of the firm.

Bond trading is affected by ratings. Ratings are determined in no small part by stock volatility.
However the bonds are tanking because it's becoming apparent to almost everyone (aside from some delusional outliers) that Tesla are really going to struggle to fund the debt, R&D for the Y, the Truck and continue to ramp up production for lower margin cars, all at the same time. The math doesn't add up even with the most optimistic forecasts. Everyone knows Q3 and Q4 will look rosey because of the higher ASP models being focused on right now. The rubber hits the road in 2019 when higher proportion of lower priced cars are being sold at the same time as debt obligations coming due, a needed boost in R&D, a focus on the semi and additional competition in the market, along with (what is apparently waning demand) because original reservationists were counting on the Fed Tax refund and won't get all of it.
Bonds for 2025 are tanking because the time of free money is coming to it's natural end. Bonds value is determined by no small part by actual and expected inflation rates.
While this would reduce long term commitments, it might not make sense because new debt would be surely issued at a higher rate, and I don't think Tesla can manage this with the above factors I mentioned. All that cash flow needs to go into R&D, global factories and ramping up semi production.
If they ever get financial problems Tesla will start selling IP and you will see "cooperation projects". So far all this "they need to borrow now and it's bad" is just some delusional nonsense.
Last word: I'm not joining the chorus of FUD - I'm a fan of Tesla, I have my $75k Performance almost in my hands, but dismissing this as 'typical' and 'cyclical' and they could 'just buy their bonds back' is nonsense.
"I am not a racist and I have a black friend". We got you. You don't hate Tesla and just a paid troll.

• In Q3 deliveries are guided to be twice as high, with a significant improvement in Model 3 gross margin.

was this point guided anywhere

Yes, it was guided, the Q2 update letter included the following guidance about a significant increase in Model 3 gross margins:

"Model 3 gross margin turned slightly positive in Q2, expecting roughly 15% in Q3"

I wonder if you think with the 80+% re-works required for some Q3 months on M3 production if that number will increase for this period or not?

The level of rework matters: if the Electrek leak of about 40 minutes of "light" rework per Model 3 at the end of Q2 is accurate, then the labor cost was trivial: less than $50 per unit, or less than ~0.09% of ASP/margin. (There was a subsequent leak that reported that in August the level of rework got reduced significantly, which should help Q3 already.)

If you are mass-manufacturing $9,900 cars then every $100 of rework is 1% off the (razor thin) margins, which hurts big time. If you are mass-manufacturing $55k-$60k ASP luxury sedans then there's a lot more room to perform finishing touches - and customers expect no less.

was this point guided anywhere (other than in the cc where Q2 M3 margin was I believe 18%? I wonder if you think with the 80+% re-works required for some Q3 months on M3 production if that number will increase for this period or not?

The averaged reworked car took an average of 37 minutes to repair.

We can logically assume as time goes on Tesla will get better, reducing the number of cars reworked and the time spent on each car repairing.

Tesla surges after Morgan Stanley becomes the second Wall Street bank to drop coverage of the stock (TSLA)

Reactions: Esme Es Mejor
Those who say Tesla will run out of demand either don't understand the situation, or are trying to spread fear.

Next year Tesla will start to sell Model 3 globally. This car is so much better than the gasoline cars, the only scenario to run out of demand is that the public don't understand the advantage of Model 3. That's unlikely to happen because every week another 5000 families get the car and they will start to tell their friends an coworkers. There are lots of advantages in addition to saving gas and more driving fun... for example, do you know 2 people can sleep in the car with plenty of space? They don't even need to move the driver's seat forward. It would be fun for someone to travel the country with zero cost on gasoline and hotel.

The cost difference for RWD and P3D is not that big. The margin on P3D must be really high. In the worst case weak demand scenario, Tesla can drop the P3D price and get huge demand on the car, but still earn $20k on each car. I don't think Tesla will need to do this, just to show "running out of demand" is FUD.

What they really should talk about is that gasoline cars will run out of demand in a few years.

He’s talking about these purple squirrels.

Please accept my sincere apologies ahead of time.

I do understand this is really taking the "thinking by analogy" thing way too far.
I know, I know, first principles, right.

So I know it's crazy, but I am gonna go out on a limb here....

Last night I was looking at the data and its just nuts!

Here's the thing on these Purple Squirrels:

See this for example:

Purple squirrel - Wikipedia

Well it turns out there are purple who are extraordinarily well-qualified!

In fact, it seems that, at least in some peculiar way, Elon himself may be an actual Purple Squirrel!
(As defined in the above Wiki link.)

How does this tie into todays Market Action?

Its all about those who are stuck in the old squirrel thinking, and how they fail to recognize the new squirrel innovations and their potential for the future of the species. So much ignorance and denial. So much envy and revenge fantasy on Wall Nut street! And why?

Is it just because these purple won't borrow any more "mouse nuts," and say they will be self sufficient with fruits of their own production from here on out? Or is it because those incumbent grays and browns know that in the long run the new squirrel adaptations will win out, and they will lose their squirrelly status. Some of them actually seem to recognize that the Purple squirrels may be required survival of the species.

Many of the rodents from Wall Nut Street are shouting into the leaves and trying to short the nut stash to see if they can starve these purple before they get any further. What they don't know, or won't recognize, or are sure to deny, is this: what these purple are doing is KNOWN far and wide, in the forests, the savannah, the mountains, islands and prairies. Everywhere there are creatures who want what these purple are producing! More and more every day. The demand (and supply) is growing.

Patience will bring prosperity to those who hold. Its not about words, and images, its about the results.
The Purple squirrel has shown, and is clearly continually showing what new squirrel thinking really means for a sustainable future.

Did we just cross some major resistance for the second time.

I do not have any experience with chart reading but i think the following looks pretty good.
Please tell me when i am totally wrong.

Untitled.png

I also think the PR they'd get from producing the base model would be huge. They could start with 1000 per month in Q3, and allocate them strictly to those first in the US in the pre-reveal queues.

But I suspect they're taking the strategy to make if fair for all and will leave it until 19Q1 and then try to get them all delivered in the first 6 months, so all base-model reservation holders get a bit at the $3750 rebate.
I'd like to see at least some of the Model 3 "day one line waiters" who are holding out for the SR (short range) version get access to the full $7500 tax credit in the US. Many may not be able to take the full $7500, but I'm sure they'd appreciate being able to take at least $5000 or $6000. Perhaps Tesla could deliver two or three thousand SR cars in December, a nice Christmas gift for some.

In general, I think Tesla needs to always remember to reward those who are willing to physically wait in line for new Tesla products, even when this may reduce margins somewhat. This feeds a virtuous cycle, making it easier for Tesla to create buzz around future product launches. Apple does this to great effect. "Loyalty begets loyalty."

Personally, I am thankful that, with our Day One (2016/03/31 during the "reveal") Model 3 reservation, we were able to order our AWD Model 3 this past June. By allowing us to order a few months before taking delivery, Tesla enabled us to save a few thousand dollars by locking in lower prices on the dual-motor upgrade, non-black paint, destination and document fees, and future cellular network fees. I would say that our initial two-year "loan" of $1000 to Tesla, and our subsequent three-month $2500 "loan", are paying off in spades.

Sort of tying this into "market action", building the Tesla brand by demonstrating loyalty to customers will help the share price over the long run. My wife is very happy with Tesla, and this makes it easy for me to obtain her support whenever I feel ready to buy TSLA shares (as I did yesterday).

I think Tesla needs to produce the $35K version of the Model 3 before too long, but mainly for PR purposes. As long as there's plenty of demand for higher-priced versions, they need only produce a trickle of cheaper cars, so the ASP (average selling price) shouldn't be affected too much. And the demand is there - Tesla just needs to start overseas deliveries.
Tesla needs to redesign their battery pack to get costs down for the standard range version, so it's going to be later than most people expect. They might get a few out in Q1 (like less than 1% of production). In Q2, maybe like 10% of production. And that's probably optimistic. I think it's going to take a while to ramp, much longer than most expect.

Status
Not open for further replies.