Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Classic news nullification. Great, important positive news comes out. Instantly nullify it with a stupid negative story.

What boggles my mind is that Mr. Market thinks some OSHA investigation about a worker losing a finger is more fundamentally important to the company than the 5-star rating across the board.

This company is under such a microscope that the dumbest sh*t gets amplified into doom.
It's fine. Just strengthens the squeeze. This stock does not trade freely or normally. When it truly pops, everyone and their grandma will know

Shortsville Times Exclusive:

Sketch Artists have created a reproduction of their vision of Tesla's devastating finger loss at the factory:

Oe7fxsQ7fj-8.png

Experts expect OSHA investigation to reveal that company executives ordered workers to work as dangerously as possible, and to place their hands at all factory pinch points when possible.

It's funny, I've started to find this rather entertaining. What new story can they find to manipulate the market next?!

Anecdotally, I talked with my two colleagues yesterday, about smog, and how EVs can't get here fast enough. I said that I was looking forward to a nice but cheap EV - Teslas are waaaay out of my league here - but they immediately started in on Teslas, how awesome they are, how their kids kids really, really wanted one, the acceleration, their friend with a Tesla who deeply loved it etc. The kicker is that we're all women, aged 40 to 55, and mostly talk about baking, clothes, family etc. You can't get any further from the even-vaguely-interested-in-cars segment.

Weird. I mean, that's economically irrational. The call buyer should always, always, always execute the option if the strike price is below the aftermarket Friday price for which they can sell the stock, and collect the difference in price as an arbitrage gain. There is *never* any reason not to do this.

And the kicker -- the brokerages will actually *do it for you automatically* if you don't issue special instructions. On Saturday, they will execute options which were in-the-money on Friday close if you don't give specific instructions to the contrary. It's actually an options exchange *requirement* that they do so.

This implies to me that a lot of call buyers are even stupider than I thought they were. Making specific phone calls in order to avoid execution of options so that they can unnecessarily lose money?!?

Perhaps they're all wildly leveraged and can't actually afford to buy the stock (and sell it in the aftermarket)? But that would also imply wild stupidity on the part of the call buyers.
The better play is to forget the strike price and play the movement. A few days ago I told you all I bought Oct 5 $360 calls. The buy was at $.96 each. I only bought 10. I sold them this morning on an order I placed right after the buy at $1.90 when Tesla spiked to $305 earlier. If they drop back close to $1.00 (they are already back down to $1.06/$1.19) I will reload again since I expect an SP pop on the Q3 numbers no matter what they are since they will be higher than Q2.

Hoping to exercise ties up too much cash. Quick ins and outs win the day in options trading. All of those worthless puts you have been talking about are usually purchased as catastrophic insurance policies against large long positions. They are just a cost of doing business for large positions.

The better play is to forget the strike price and play the movement. A few days ago I told you all I bought Oct 5 $360 calls. The buy was at $.96 each. I only bought 10. I sold them this morning on an order I placed right after the buy at $1.90 when Tesla spiked to $305 earlier. If they drop back close to $1.00 (they are already back down to $1.06/$1.19) I will reload again since I expect an SP pop on the Q3 numbers no matter what they are since they will be higher than Q2.

Hoping to exercise ties up too much cash. Quick ins and outs win the day in options trading. All of those worthless puts you have been talking about are usually purchased as catastrophic insurance policies against large long positions. They are just a cost of doing business for large positions.
thats probably a nice level to target esp if below 1$ prior to ER. I'm going to try and reload in some stock though, want to actually be able to trade the stock for AH on ER day.

Will probably buy back the sept 292.5 if/when they are below 4.5$.

Todays' price action was encouraging.

If the shorts have this much ammo in the hopper for whenever we break $300, makes me wonder what kind of FUD they're sitting on to release after the earnings report. They've got to have something planned.

Ahh don't worry :

" Once reservation backlog empties Tesla will crash "

" Profitable this quarter but not next "

" The 35k M3 will never be profitable"

The NHTSA 2018 Model 3 crash-test videos are showing impressive levels of Model 3 safety:

In the side pole crash test it was impressive to see how the very rigid battery pack at the bottom of the car acted as an effective barrier against the pole intruding into the passenger compartment.

Even a Volvo XC60 (2017), famous for the integrity of the passenger compartment in crashes, is softer in side crashes:

Or an Audi Q7 (2018):

EVs with rigid battery packs at the bottom of the car have not only very safe low center of mass, but also have clear side crash protection advantages here: ICE cars put a lot of mass into the powertrain, which doesn't increase crash protection, probably the opposite is the case: that engine mass uses up crunch zone volume in the front of the car.

Last edited:
Ok this is impressive. Right at this moment there is currently a very large T stretching across America. It's showing up on radar even (source: Accuweather site). It kinda reminds me of a certain company logo!

View attachment 336622
Those are not clouds but drones delivering Model 3s. Extra points for flying in formation!

Status
Not open for further replies.