Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
they definitely get assigned a salvage title only. Some people have harvested salvage title Model S for the battery, they break them up into the respective chunks and use them for home battery backup.

There is a lot of rich value items that can be salvaged that can be validated in good working order and re-purposed for re-use.

Back seats, belts, carpet, stalk items, external light lenses, lights, bulbs, some cable harnesses, mats, 12V battery, tires, wheels even, rear quarter panels - very dependent and often require rework, window seals, key. ;-)

You can drive a Salvage Title car in California, at least.

They are not necessarily junked for parts.

I guess I should think about what to do if TSLA stock actually does go to unsustainable nosebleed levels. With short-sellers folding due to margin calls, the stock manipulators like Left and Chanos folding because Tesla doesn't need capital from Wall Street ever again, and the "shock" to Wall Street of large profits and free cash flow, it actually could skyrocket to unsustainable levels -- for instance, if it's over $3000 before next June, I would suspect the price had gotten ahead of itself.

I would normally just hold, bubt I should think about this possibility seriously. Selling out of GOOG in Nov 2007 and buying back in Nov 2008 would have been a worthwhile move; so would selling NFLX in Jul 2011 and buying back in Dec 2011.

I still have an open $3000 limit sell order from the heady “going private” days of yore. I’m fine with leaving it open just in case.

InsideEVs on Twitter:

"Those @Tesla #Model3 numbers being tossed around right now seem a wee bit low. Might want to check back in with us sometime tomorrow. We see some BIG news on the horizon."
Seriously?!?!

We're all just guessing, of course, but InsideEVs has better sources than most people...

Clearly Tesla has a safety problem. This guy has already lost his other hand and both feet as well!

Unidentified edit-er: and his ears

And his hair.
And his willy.
And his shirt - has to be a weak long or stupid short.
And clearly he’s vegan (that’ll earn me a disagree or 10) and should eat a big, thick porterhouse slathered in mushroom gravy, loaded baked potatoe, two asparagus stems and three slices of Cheesecake Factory cheesecake. And wash it all down with a few shots of whiskey and puff of weed.

I have been saying for a while that paying off the 2019 March bond maturity will cause most of the people trying to starve Tesla of capital to fold.

I don't think they'll wait until the Chinese gigafactory is funded; it'll be obvious enough that it will be. Based on the registered capital statement and luvb2b's latest model for Q3/Q4 cash flow, we can expect Tesla to put in a little over one quarter's free cash flow in equity into the Chinese factory, and apparently the local Chinese bank loans are already lined up. This is going to be pretty obvious after Q4 numbers are published.

If it isn't Q4, they'll give up after the Q1 numbers -- where the lease accounting is straightened out by revisions to GAAP, so that the essential profitability of the SolarCity operations finally becomes clear.

Well, my long position isn't changed by the shorts and their stock manipulation. But I'm not as sanguine as others about this changing just because profitability or cash independence is demonstrated over multiple consecutive quarters. Chanos was going after Solar City and when Tesla rescued them he switched to Tesla. He'll keep the stock pounded into the dirt for as long as he can because of pride. And the sad thing is I'm starting to think the shorts can do this -- largely thanks to complicit media.

Yes, it does cost them to keep all of those short positions. Sort of. I noticed Ihor saying that the funds don't actually have to keep money tied up, just have sufficient long positions. So they can keep Tesla shorted indefinitely on the strength of their other investments.

And, by manipulating the volatility of $TSLA, they are able to make money off their manufactured slides. So, in fact, the smart shorts are continuously milking $TSLA for money. Why would they ever give that up?

As I said, I think that in the long term $TSLA is only going to go up. But the shorts and their stock manipulation are, I think, around for the foreseeable future.

I guess I should think about what to do if TSLA stock actually does go to unsustainable nosebleed levels. With short-sellers folding due to margin calls, the stock manipulators like Left and Chanos folding because Tesla doesn't need capital from Wall Street ever again, and the "shock" to Wall Street of large profits and free cash flow, it actually could skyrocket to unsustainable levels -- for instance, if it's over $3000 before next June, I would suspect the price had gotten ahead of itself.

I would normally just hold, bubt I should think about this possibility seriously. Selling out of GOOG in Nov 2007 and buying back in Nov 2008 would have been a worthwhile move; so would selling NFLX in Jul 2011 and buying back in Dec 2011.

If you pause and think you know that market timing is hopeless. Be confident that 10-20 years from now TSLA will have likely outperformed other available options and the route it takes to get there and small ups and downs in that route, aren't really relevant and it's hopeless to try to time them.

Well, my long position isn't changed by the shorts and their stock manipulation. But I'm not as sanguine as others about this changing just because profitability or cash independence is demonstrated over multiple consecutive quarters. Chanos was going after Solar City and when Tesla rescued them he switched to Tesla. He'll keep the stock pounded into the dirt for as long as he can because of pride. And the sad thing is I'm starting to think the shorts can do this -- largely thanks to complicit media.

Yes, it does cost them to keep all of those short positions. Sort of. I noticed Ihor saying that the funds don't actually have to keep money tied up, just have sufficient long positions. So they can keep Tesla shorted indefinitely on the strength of their other investments.

And, by manipulating the volatility of $TSLA, they are able to make money off their manufactured slides. So, in fact, the smart shorts are continuously milking $TSLA for money. Why would they ever give that up?
The traders who are manipulating the stock to make money off of volatility will never go away, yes.

The groups who are campaigning for the automakers and big oil and the UAW will also never give up. (Though the big oil ones will run out of money in about 10 years.)

I believe the group who is trying to starve Tesla of capital will eventually realize that they can't do it and give up.

They don't know how to actually read P&L statements or balance sheets. All that time on Wall Street, and guys like Left and Chanos still don't know basic business economics 101, But they can read the bottom line with the intelligence level of an algobot, and eventually the profitability will be too much for them to deny and they'll give up.

If you pause and think you know that market timing is hopeless.
I know I'm no good at it. There are people who can do it, though. I'm not going to bet my fortune on market timing, but I've been spending a lot of time learning and it may be worth making a small bet. (Like, maybe I'll take out 1/10 of my investment if the stock multiplies by 10.)

I know I'm no good at it. There are people who can do it, though. I'm not going to bet my fortune on market timing, but I've been spending a lot of time learning and it may be worth making a small bet. (Like, maybe I'll take out 1/10 of my investment if the stock multiplies by 10.)

The best strategy for long term wealth is to buy and hold without being leveraged. Now with that being said there are plenty of folks who can and do shorter timeframe type trading via options or strictly common shares.

Regardless of what type of investor you are the traits for success are universal - not trying to gain too much too fast, discipline, emotionally sound, proper capital/risk management, etc.

Tesla has two dozen people at the VP level or higher, last I checked, and executive turnover is a fact of life in any business, let alone a Silicon Valley company in growth mode. But of course, that fact will never stop the hyperbole.

One of my good buddies from high school and college worked in the supply chain management dept. for 8 months or so at Tesla during the 2016/2017 timeframe. The hours were insane and he couldn't take it and moved to a stodgy chill company that fit his style. No doubt Tesla is a seriously demanding company to work for similar to Amazon in its growth phase which will lead to turnover - it's something that Elon and co realize and are trying to address but at the same time doing something that's amazing and that's never been done before requires extraordinary effort from all parties which not everyone is cut out for.

But for every person who leaves there will be plenty others attracted to the situation and would like to join the mission of doing something wonderful. I myself wouldn't mind working at a demanding and challenging place like Tesla where I believed in the cause.

One of my good buddies from high school and college worked in supply chain management dept. for 8 months or so at Tesla from 2016/2017 timeframe. The hours were insane and he couldn't take it and moved to a stodgy chill company that fit his style. No doubt Tesla is a seriously demanding company to work for similar to Amazon in its growth phase which will lead to turnover - it's something that Elon and co realize and are trying to address but at the same time doing something that's amazing and that's never been done before requires extraordinary effort from all parties which not everyone is cut out for.

But for every person who leaves there will be plenty others attracted to the situation and would like to join the mission of doing something wonderful. I myself wouldn't mind working at a demanding and challenging place like Tesla where I believed in the cause.

Amen to that. There are times I think it'd be nice to work for a company like Tesla. But then again... I have other priorities in life, and work is fairly low on the list. I do it so that the bills get paid (and my job is decent enough), but my family is my life. My employer is very flexible and definitely not in startup mode. Much more relaxed.

But for a younger me? I can sure understand the appeal of working for Tesla. Just not for everyone, or forever. Kudos to those that do it, and good call for those that decide it isn't for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.