Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I.e., profitable.

I.e., they have to sell some cars with options in order to cover SG&A. Was there ever any doubt that some people would buy cars with options?

OK, then I agree with you: at 5000 per week, if Tesla sold nothing but base model 3s, Tesla would not be able to cover SG&A with that. What a silly scenario that is, though. Right?
Not that that will happen, but that's exactly why I want Tesla to change its battery upgrade policy, and start to design the smaller batteries to be able to be taken apart and upgraded and sold used, and with enough automation and ease of battery swap that it doesn't cost Tesla a lot and therefore they are able to make a profit without charging the customers a lot to upgrade. In this way, a $35,000 Model 3 could easily become a much nicer car over time. Maximize the amount of upgradable hardware for low extra upgrade cost over original fitment of such parts allowing that to go to profit. Hardware with good MTBF that customers don't see could be refurbished and put back into new cars with full warranty; Tesla could get into a situation where their less expensive high MTBF unseen hardware is almost always just refurbished. Some things like seats and interior cloth would not be upgradable in the same way, but the seats could at least allow a full-purchase price for higher options. Maybe there could be a slot in seats that makes it easy to install additional seat features such as massage, etc.. Spring ride could be designed to be easy to convert to air ride; probably, it is not easy to do right now; the springs could be refurbished and put back into new cars (since this is a rare upgrade, all of those springs could be earmarked for store loaner and test drive models which get discounts when sold anyway). Make the motor swappable for a performance motor; I think that's already true with Model 3 according to Ingineer's videos, but just facilitate it more. You could have a $35,000 Model 3 you incrementally upgraded to a performance model. Etc.

(Glass roof upgrade would be impossible since the stamped parts that allow it are welded to the other stamped parts in an exsiting car.)

But Elon has stated many times that that is a bad idea. I don't understand why he thinks that, given the potential to redesign the car to be able to make upgrades inexpensive and profitable.

"Defensible"...does not mean you will win. It just means you have enough to build a case for the defense. Apparently, Musk's legal team strongly disagreed.
Assumption without factual basis. Quite likely the legal team told Musk they had a very strong case, but that it would take time for it all to play out, which might depress the stock in the short term. Elon weighed the benefits and risks and made a choice.

Unraveling a Tesla Mystery: Lots (and Lots) of Parked Cars

Surprisingly negative Tesla piece in the New York Times. I guess John Broder still works there so I shouldn’t be surprised...

Wow, so they found a lot of 42 cars sitting and it’s a problem?

Another lot had 100 and it’s a problem?

Guess who the NYT quited? Our very own short, Mark Spiegel. LOL these guys are grasping onto straws.

Grasping at straws is right: "Photos posted online on Sunday show hoods open, possibly indicating maintenance work." :D:rolleyes:

What Mulally policies have had negative consequences for Ford?

It seems Mark Fields was fired for his own policies not for adhering strictly to Mulally's vision.

BTW It seems the consensus for Chair is someone with 30 plus years of corporate experience, that has never made a material mistake and no Progressive can describe as evil/greedy?
That rules out Murdoch... Tell me again, how did he get on the BoD? Oh, right... No threat to Musk's control. ;)

I don't know if I missed it but has anyone expressed any thoughts on tomorrows short activity?

I am expecting the shorts to go in strong for a large MMD to try and discourage longs now that they have the power to do what others say can't be done.
I sold my Friday calls (305 strike) I bought Thursday for a nice profit today (last Friday had me a bit sad but I still bought more to average down). I am hoping to pick them right back up again at an even better price. If not I will be happy with my profits and start hoarding J20s.
They may get the power back, but instead they may be wiser and cover. I think Andrew Left himself admitted it is now very difficult to short Tsla. We will have to see tsla delivery statement and go from there.

What I find curious is that there's still someone out there with the will, the means and the mechanism to keep pushing the SP back under 310.

This brings me back to my previous hypothesis, which is that nefarious anti-Tesla interests have bought common shares in large quantities which they can then proceed to dump when the fancy takes them = no need to short AND they probably even make some money out of it too.

It this feasible, or do I need to put my foil hat on?
Could it be the SCTY bondholders who want cash instead of stock? :D

This is simply incorrect. Computers became ubiquitous because of IBM and the companies involved in making the first PC Clones (Compaq, Phoenix, etc.)
But Gates kept the platform open long after IBM left the space, even with so many hardware issues that became a big problem for Microsoft. BTW, real explosive growth of PCs came after Windows.

They need one or a few "lead plaintiffs" to file the suit, but if it is successful in being made a class action, everyone they can identify who falls into the class has to be notified, and can either join the class settlement or opt out (presumably to sue as individuals). Only the lead plaintiffs get a say in negotiating the settlement though.
I worked out the total plausible class action shareholder derivative lawsuit exposure a while back, though I have lost the calculation. Exposure for "elevated" stock price was mouse nuts, since it could only be considered elevated above the price *before* the tweet (which was high due to Saudi news). Exposure for "depressed" stock price suffers from the need to make the case that Musk intended to lower the stock price, which I doubt they have any ability to make, so I think the exposure there is zero.

"Tesla needs to sell Tesla branded drip coffee."

I would buy this!

I would also buy...
Tesla office chair
Tesla watch
Tesla cell phone
Tesla appliances

They could def extend out into lifestyle products, though that doesn't exactly fit into the "accelerating the advent of sustainable transport" mission. But it would be substantial revenue. Supporters of "the mission" would patronize for sure.

Elon could sell Raid to cockroaches.

We already have the visionary, we just need somebody to run board meetings.
That’s why my vote is for someone that’s more low key. Like, maybe, John Chambers chairman of Cisco Systems. Plus, he lives near HQ.

Obviously I would be happy if someone high profile like Oprah got the job. I really don’t think it’s necessary. My view is Tesla has been ran exceptionally well. Do they have problems that need fixing, sure. These revolve around communication and logistics. Maybe, a new chairman could help fix these, maybe not. I think the problems are kind of obvious, I just think Tesla has been too busy just trying to survive. Profit will allow them to fix these things, fancy high profile chairman or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.