Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This has been a hard one for me to figure out from 10 years. Not particularly w.r.t. NYT - but liberals in general. Apparently they are all environmentalists, except when it comes to some personal inconvenience because of (earlier) low range EVs.

That response was ok in the past (you are not expected to commit to a significant personal sacrifice if the real solution obviously has to happen on a global level), and it's changing dramatically with a Model 3 that costs $50k, $40k and $30k (after incentives).

There will be no excuse left not to own a Tesla: they are better, cheaper, more future proof and don't poison our living space like gasoline cars do.

Within 3-5 years I expect the ownership of new gasoline cars to carry a significant social stigma, especially in (sub-)urban, liberal communities.

Elon could sell Raid to cockroaches.
Depressed cockroaches would welcome the opportunity to put an end to their miserable cockroach lives. Of course, Not-a-Flamethrower would be a much more flamboyant way to go. Even falling Boring Company bricks have a fair chance of delivering the final exit that a suicidal coachroach seeks.

Are they really not organized? How come the market would collectively chose the same tick to dump with large numbers, so they are just following the same technical signal? Sometimes it's looks hard to believe they are not coordinating seeing how organized those dumps appears.
The tinfoil hat inclined among us believe there has been a well-funded program in place for several years to depress Tesla's stock. Shorting is one of the tactics of the program, often coordinated with media activities, but as is often the case with rich people there are many more tools in the box. ATM looks like one of them is pressure on regulatory agencies.

There are also what one might call "retail shorts" who are looking to make money, not to lose as little money as possible to secure the desired results, as is the case with the nebulous participants in the program I've called the Chuck & Dave Show, for no particular reason. I think C&D often play the retail shorts to help make their own operation more efficient.

Tesla will screen 'Cars 3' at Gigafactory as thank you to employees

THANKING THEM FOR ALL THEIR HARD WORK BECAUSE THEIR WORK WILL BE NO LONGER NEEDED.

No more demand. Tesla has thousands of cars stashed all over the United States that couldn't be sold.

Unraveling a Tesla Mystery: Lots (and Lots) of Parked Cars

THOUGH SERIOUSLY - a shorty air force?

"At least one has access to a plane and shoots high-resolution photographs from the air."

Can I sign up for the Tesla AntiAircraft battery team?

upload_2018-10-1_21-53-47.jpeg

Tesla will be missed. Will only see them in movies. :(

upload_2018-10-1_21-51-10.jpeg

@beachbum77

Help me out Donn! Is it

1.) Tesla can't produce them?
2.) No one wants them?
3.) Tesla trying not to sell them to not lose money on more cars?
4.) Tesla running out of spare parts because they are using spare parts to build cars no one wants?

Attachments

• upload_2018-10-1_21-53-18.png
    upload_2018-10-1_21-53-18.png
    178.4 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
LOL. Then, would do you think about iOS ;)

Surprisingly and somewhat counterintuitively Apple's iOS walled garden is a more reliable platform both on the software and on the business side than Windows: the sandboxed apps offer almost contracted, largely future proof business opportunities, which (unwritten) contract Apple seldom abused.

I.e. the iOS technical and app policy restrictions are largely in place to provide security and a stable platform.

The paper "freedom" applications have (had) under Windows eroded cross-app security, plus there was also the predatory monopolist platform owner (Microsoft) who scooped up your business or attacked you the moment you competed with Office, Explorer, Xbox or created any other high value business segment Microsoft wanted to enter.

Lately Microsoft has become a more mature platform owner - in large part due to the old guard founders (Gates, Balmer, etc.) departing - but trust in a platform is much easier to lose than to win back.

Perhaps you are not following the mathematics involved here. Let me spell it out. Suppose 65% growth in market share for the next few years.

2018 2.2%
2019 3.63%
2020 5.99%
2021 9.88%
2022 16.3%

Check out what happens in 2021. EV penetration jumps about 4%. Meanwhile the global auto market only grows about 3% in a typical year. So in 2021, EVs capture so much share that ICE is likely to decline in volume.

So global ICE sales are likely to go into structural decline by 2021. Certainly, one could point to certain national markets that will peak several years later than the global peak. But for OEMs that serve a broad international market this will be of little relief. Growth opportunities for ICE will quickly retreat into niches.

By 2022, another 6% market share for ICE would be lost. The pace of market share loss will quicken until EVs command about half of the market.

So the next two years could be sluggish growth for ICE, the next year will be flat to slightly declining, then 4 years out the bottom can fall out of the ICE market.

Now all this has been based on the assumption that growth continues at about 65% for the next 4 years. Many people have a hard time believing that the pace can remain that robust. But just as one can imagine scenarios where the rate slows substantially, one can also imagine that it speeds up. For example, China is more than doubling every year. If this continues, then the global growth rate will actually accelerate as Chinese and other high growth markets come to dominate. Those who want to shake their heads in disbelief need to identify a near term factor that can dramatically slow down EV uptake around the world. The problem is that we are only about 3 years from peak ICE, so that does not leave much time for brakes to be applied.

This post should be a guest editorial in the WSJ.

I think this is absolutely right.

Then I see Tesla's production estimate for the SR basic is getting closer by one month each month, And that makes me think.........

The fact that you clipped off the first part of my sentence, which changed the point I was making that production would begin but in very low numbers and would stay low, shows what your purpose on this board is and it's not to engage in honest discussion or debate.

The fact that you clipped off the first part of my sentence, which changed the point I was making that production would begin but in very low numbers and would stay low, shows what your purpose on this board is and it's not to engage in honest discussion or debate.

Not quite - rather I was trying to demonstrate with which part of your comment I agreed.

Last edited:
Two more moves like today and stock is at $400. Just two. Like this week. And then next week. Whoa. Even is 3 weeks or 3 months, we’re in our way.

If we can get to 340-350 range and stay there for a week or two before earnings it should be good enough to tip the iceberg over in our favor. A profitable announcement in November should do the job, followed by “highly profitable” in 4th Q..

If we beat margins again this time it’ll be a huge bonus.

Status
Not open for further replies.