Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No, as has been said before shares in a margin account, or shares that you sign up to be included in a stock lending program. (In addition I think the margin account has to have an active balance, and they can only lend out shares valued at up to that margin balance.)

Got a reference for this requirement that stockholders have to sign up for their stock to be lent out to short sellers?

From Investopedia:

When a trader wishes to take a short position, he or she borrows the shares from a broker without knowing where the shares come from or to whom they belong. The borrowed shares may be coming out of another trader's margin account, out of the shares being held in the broker's inventory, or even from another brokerage firm. It is important to note that, once the transaction has been placed, the broker is the party doing the lending and not the individual investor. So, any benefit received (along with any risk) belongs to the broker.

Nothing in there about some elective sign-up policy.

Last edited:
Got a reference for this requirement that stockholders have to sign up for their stock to be lent out to short sellers?

Can My Broker Lend My Shares? » Sonn Law Group

To be clear, your brokerage firm cannot lend out your stocks without your permission. However, you may have signed a customer agreement that explicitly allows your broker to lend out your securities. This clause is often tucked deep within the customer agreement, and few investors pay much attention to it. In many cases, investors who have a margin account with their brokerage firm will be asked to sign a hypothecation agreement. This agreement generally gives the brokerage firm the right to lend shares of securities that you own.

If someone wants to draft something up and make sure it makes sense, I can publish.

I don't know enough about this stuff to edit/vet it well, so would just like some assurance from investment experts here that there are no glaring mistakes/holes in the argument. I'd also run it by my two top finance/investment guys.
This seems a waste of time, if there are 15% of retail investors total and minuscule amount of them follow that proposal, the net effect is near zero.

I believe Zach could help better by bringing up some of the illegal activities, such as insider trading on SEC / FUD news to general public attention, but people from this forum well versed in identifying these instances and documenting them need to help...if we need lawyers to properly report the cases, I think a lot of people would contribute money to that. This would make a much bigger impact, prosecuting one of these guys and bringing publicity to that...

I saw there was a thread started for documenting the facts, once this is ready Zach could be a real help with that;

And thank you Zach for the #Pravduh effort, this is really cool :)

Your reference literally says that brokers commonly get authorization to do so as part of the process to sign up to become a customer and most customers don't even know about it.

This in no way jibes with your earlier statements, such as: "This is false. Buy shares with your own money and they can't be lent out without your permission." They get permission in the process of you becoming a customer.

Your reference literally says that brokers commonly get authorization to do so as part of the process to sign up to become a customer and most customers don't even know about it.

I don't understand your point. That is the customer signing up to allow their shares to be lent out. If they aren't reading, and understanding, the contract they sign that is their own issue.

I have seen people report that if you have sell order for your shares that they can't be lent out. So you could place a sell order at 2 or 3 times the current price to lock up the shares. (Just make sure to maintain that so that it doesn't hit or expire when you don't want it to.)

Reactions: mongo and SpaceCash
I don't understand your point. That is the customer signing up to allow their shares to be lent out. If they aren't reading, and understanding, the contract they sign that is their own issue.

If it's part of the signup process, you don't have a choice in the matter.

Except to go to a different broker who doesn't short sell.

And establishing an explicit no-short-selling account is the whole point of this conversation.

Reactions: lklundin
It seems to me that Elon's tweets are indeed trying to show that the punishment put on him was not fair, that he is appealing to the judge about that in the unsettled settlement.

I don't know enough to know if that's a viable argument for him here, but that's how it reads.

Am I wrong?

Is it possible he will convince the judge that he is being unfairly attacked & punished?

If he changed his mind (again) he just needs to tell the SEC he is rescinding his agreement, but might have to find a new defense team.

So Ihor is on vacation so we don't have a short report from him. 1.5 million shares available at IB with the fee rate going down. There has to be covering in there.

This is not the way I expected this year to play out so far. At least I planned for it somewhat.
Ihor has a fill-in while on vacation in Alaska.

This was posted yesterday at open.

There was already tiny amount of short covering since Ihor’s last update.

Matthew S Unterman on Twitter

I think what we're saying is... what alternative do we have? If there was a Tesla sponsored brokerage... I venture to say many of us would use it.

Also, Elon could pressure the top institutional to not lend shares out.

I do agree that Zach's resources should be used wisely. If we feel this is not worth it as a group, then I don't think he should use his capital here.

Reactions: Thumper
Status
Not open for further replies.