Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry if this has been discussed but anyone think they may pre-announce earnings if profitable?

don’t know why we think thats going to save us. i’d probably prefer to give less info at this time. if the numbers are good, eff everyone.
but don’t celebrate. have to do it the next 2-3 qtrs as well, pay 3/19 conv, before you start tapping heavily again on prod Semi, Y

don’t know why we think thats going to save us. i’d probably prefer to give less info at this time. if the numbers are good, eff everyone.
but don’t celebrate. have to do it the next 2-3 qtrs as well, pay 3/19 conv, before you start tapping heavily again on prod Semi, Y

Agree completely. We have to connect several data points together to announce the new normal.

guys, after spending more than 30 hours in the past 7 days alone analyzing $tsla my opinion at this moment is that this is a major buying opportunity. Ignore negativity and you will see that the fundamentals are for the first time not totally overvalued but actually quite realistic. Just my two cents going into an uncertain weekend holding 160 stocks and a strong believe that there is real long term value in this company.

I feel the same. What made you come to this conclusion? Please share your thoughts.

Someone is playing games with the NASDAQ numbers it would appear. The 13F filed in August for Q2 showed Fidelity sold shares to reduce themselves into third place. It was widely reported that Baillie Gifford had become the largest shareholder for Tesla after Elon himself.

Major Tesla owner Fidelity trimmed stake last quarter: SEC filing | Reuters

Your link says they held 11.2 million shares as of June 30. That's a huge gap to 21M in the article. 16M at beg of year.

Weird

• Informative
Reactions: SpaceCash
I think releasing Mod Y too soon will cannibalize M3.

I dunno, the CUV segment is on fire right now. Conventional wisdom would be to get an offer into that market ASAP. You might end up deferring a some Model 3 reservation-holders who really want an CUV but Model 3 is not demand constrained right now so you'll pick up repalcements and the upside is you will also pick up a bunch of potential new buyers for whom a sedan was a non-starter.

I’m a big fan of Elon Musk and Tesla.

My 2c:

- Company is in a fantastic position, well on its way to sustained, large profitability in the very near future.
- Q2 results were good, it’s the reason share price jumped so high on the day after Aug earnings, the bears lost any credibility to their bankruptcy argument that day.
- Q3 results will be fantastic, regardless of whether gaap profits are a little either side of break even.
- Following Q3 results, Q4 & 2019 revenue and EPS projections will all be heading higher.
- 2020 and beyond projections will be raised as Tesla reveals more details in the near future about Model Y and Shanghai factory timelines.

The best way for Tesla to destroy the bear arguments and short sellers FUD is to simply continuing to execute as they are, they don’t have to do anything else. It’s why I will remain a long term shareholder as they execute the long term plan.

=====

Having said all that, I think the prospects of near term share price increases have been severely negatively impacted over the last 24 hours due to last nights twitter activity. While there are many here who still think Elon should defend himself with guns blazing at the SEC, I think that is a tiny minority of all Tesla Longs. Most Longs, in my opinion, were happy that he settled with the SEC, and want him to just forget about the shorts and realize that Tesla Company results will destroy them in due course. As that no longer appears to be his chosen course of action, I think very few longs will add to their position, and it’s completely understandable why some would be trimming their exposure today.

Not an advice, but I think anyone investing for the long term will do just fine holding there shares or adding at todays price. But anyone expecting that large share price falls can’t happen from here - I would suggest that it’s worth reevaluating that assumption while Elon remains in fighting mode vs the SEC, and that potentially the DoJ can still end up laying a criminal case at any point in time. I wouldn’t at all be surprised to see a share price back in the $1XX range.

I feel the same. What made you come to this conclusion? Please share your thoughts.
mostly the recovery of the nasdaq told me that the worst is over. Also I feel like we the worst negative news of the past weeks is over. That the stock is back at 260 now is making me question this conclusion again. But when I zoom all the way out to a long term fundamental view I always see it happening clearly, the EV transition because of CO2, the self driving getting better and tesla network disrupting the transportation sector, master plan part deux pretty much.

Folks on here are saying that Elon's tweets don't matter if the fundamentals/profits are good. The problem with this idea is that Elon's juvenile tweets are affecting the fundamentals.

A year ago if you talked to someone about Tesla they might have been excited about the cars or spew some BS about the company, but pretty much everyone agreed they'd like a Tesla. Now when you talk to someone about Tesla the first thing that comes up is Elon's behaviour. People are started to be embarrassed to buy the cars because of Elon's juvenile antics and his apparent lack of judgement and ability to choose his battles.

I hardly want to talk to people about Tesla anymore because the first thing that comes up is Elon's behavour and I don't want to defend that. His petty battles are making the cars less cool, which affects sales and ultimately profits. I've been long since 2014 but I'm close to bailing on this because Elon has had a million chances to grow up and he's declining them all.

elon clearly is taking issue with the mechanics of short selling and the resourcefulness with which they operate.

einhorn, after horrible recent results, seizing the opportunity to issue a statement comparing tesla to lehman and calling tesla deceptive, cnbc all too willing to swallow it whole, without even a quick safety-whiff
...talk about the pot and the kettle

that is exactly why elon is doing this. not because he’s rattled, because he’s pointing out the biased, unbalanced, inefficient, and corrupt system for his 22.7mm followers and their followers to see and connect the dots themselves.

even people here talk as if a certain event will cause the stock to move one way or the other. it rarely works that way. tsla even less so.
the drop in stock price happens regardless what elon says or does at this time, because it has to!

inv banks/hf’s/hft’s won’t make money unless it goes the opposite way everyone expects it to go based upon the ramp successes and failures.
they jerk it around to shake all the money away from each other and us, and then let it rip upwards once they delever... and then restart the whole cycle again!

it’s like an inverse bubble, except it deflates on the “rise” and inflates and pops on the deleveraging

where’s the bottom over the next few days?
246?
229?

Yeah I wouldn't want to be Elon's lawyer right now. "No we can't put that in the letter it would tank the settlement..."

No doubt once the letter comes out, people will be studying the first word of every paragraph, to see if, taken together, they form some hidden sentence, as well as make note of the first letter of each line of text, in case there's a secret message there ("SEC, go f*** yourself"). What a world. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.