Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
that is exactly why elon is doing this. not because he’s rattled, because he’s pointing out the biased, unbalanced, inefficient, and corrupt system for his 22.7mm followers and their followers to see and connect the dots themselves.

Exactly! And he's mocking the system to show how ridiculous it is. Again I say it's on purpose, hence "Ignore the Headlines" (and for now, ignore the SP because it doesn't affect the long and faithful). Can't wait for Q3 results for some more profit skimming. It will probably happen quickly and then FUDsville again. It will explode eventually but no crystal ball on when, just hang on people and enjoy the ride.

This is seriously flawed thinking. We are not talking about a B-list celebrity hawking bracelets or skin care breakthroughs on daytime TV or some commoditized product where the only differentiator is a celebrity endorsement. Whatever you think about Elon, the cars themselves are amazing and arguably better than anything else out there. Or do you seriously think some Model 3 reservation holder is going to switch to Bolt because of some random tweet Elon sent?
Sadly, my sister did.

I find it funny that people are freaking out about these tweets. He made a pretty innocent play on the name of the SEC and gave his opinion on what should be legal re: short selling stock. Oh noes, clutch my pearls!

And, as for Q3 results, breaking even or even a small loss would still beat expectations. If they pulled off net profit, that’s a huge beat. A lot of people here keep saying if they don’t show profit, the stock will collapse. I have no doubt it would fall some on the optics vs guidance but nobody should expect a collapse unless they post a huge loss.

Folks on here are saying that Elon's tweets don't matter if the fundamentals/profits are good. The problem with this idea is that Elon's juvenile tweets are affecting the fundamentals.

A year ago if you talked to someone about Tesla they might have been excited about the cars or spew some BS about the company, but pretty much everyone agreed they'd like a Tesla. Now when you talk to someone about Tesla the first thing that comes up is Elon's behaviour. People are started to be embarrassed to buy the cars because of Elon's juvenile antics and his apparent lack of judgement and ability to choose his battles.

I saw the exact opposite reaction with Gen Y and even Gen X people: "epic trolling!" was the general consensus. The Joe Rogan podcast has a very high 'like' percentage. They are the youngest, most important generation of car customers: demand for the next 20 years secured, not contingent on shareholder vote. ;)

That's essentially BMW's marketing BTW: the 3-series is primarily targeting younger males, to get them hooked at an earlier age, and then move them to the more expensive 5-series and 7-series as they get older and earn more money.

The thing is, Elon and Tesla was wronged by the SEC and Elon made a political and economic argument against the SEC's flawed and possibly unlawful actions, in a humorous way. It was important for him to have made that point at least once, before the settlement muzzles him. If the SEC, a U.S. federal agency, retaliates, that's a clear-cut First Amendment violation of Elon's free speech rights.

Last edited:
Exactly! And he's mocking the system to show how ridiculous it is. Again I say it's on purpose, hence "Ignore the Headlines" (and for now, ignore the SP because it doesn't affect the long and faithful). Can't wait for Q3 results for some more profit skimming. It will probably happen quickly and then FUDsville again. It will explode eventually but no crystal ball on when, just hang on people and enjoy the ride.

his tweets seem perfectly logical to me, that he is PISSED OFF at the Shorts and SEC, and wanted people to listen to his point of view so that perhaps something could be done about it. I do think it's unwise, but I don't see any issues with his mental condition.

one thing that assures me about the stock is his stake in SpaceX and his billionaire friends. if $tsla gets ridiculously low, he could sell some of his spaceX and start buying or just take Tesla private entirely.

What is David Einhorn going on about now, comparing Tesla to Lehman’s and suggesting there is deception? Has this been discussed here today? Sorry, trying to work and can’t keeo up. Is this something new from him or his ongoing thesis?

Einhorn is a joke - his “genius” has led to his fund being down 25% this year. His “Telsa is a fraud” argument is just as devoid of facts and reality as the bog standard $TSLAQ moron on twitter holding a single put option.

EDIT TO ADD: Ross Gerber on CNBC right now laying the smackdown on Einhorns argument

Wouldn’t it be better for him to focus on the business at hand rather than picking fights and ending up in so many headlines?

These drops are self-inflicted and destroy value. This impacts all of us longs and everyone who has been working so hard on the Model 3.

It’s almost as if he doesn’t want to be CEO anymore.

I know this will get downvotes, but these past two months have been sad especially with the backdrop of greater production and deliveries.

Allow me to summarize the last 7 days for you all:
2018-10-05_16-18-03.png

Perhaps not question his genius, but it sure raises questions about his mental and physical health. And it is a lot more than 3...

It's not like he is tweeting that a stuffed moose is giving him ideas for his next product.

I would guess most folks who are not shorting the company would agree with his core sentiment on the behavior of some subset of shorts and how the SEC handled this last probe. He is a CEO standing up for himself and his company after what he feels is unfair treatment. I don't see anything mentally or emotionally unfit about doing that.

Other execs might handle the situation differently, but as we have established numerous times, Elon is not "another CEO". He is not the first exec to say mean things about the SEC and he won't be the last.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.