Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cannot wait for Q3 report to hit.

If any of you FUD fighters are bored, the Volvo forum thread has not improved lately. I largely fly solo over there (I've got an XC90 PHEV and a Tesla, so the frequent mischaracterizations of the relationship between the tech of each brand, Tesla's position in the marketplace, etc jump out to me and often me alone).

Someone like @Fact Checking would be quite useful in that arena... Read the whole thread if you're a glutton for punishment, or just the last several pages to get the gist.

That about sums it up and we see and hear on a daily basis,, good to see some intelligent support over there..

"

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by bluelines
This is why the discussion of Tesla is so f'd up. Modest, reasonable criticism of Tesla is seized on by the fanboys as evidence that the critic is a climate change denying fascist shill for big oil, while on the other side media hysteria causes Tesla's stock to fall by 5% if a Tesla has an accident. Both extremes are completely irrational.""""

yluong
There are Tesla fan boys. There are also moderate Tesla owners who enjoy driving the car, but turn themselves into raging supporters of Tesla because they are so fed up with those blind false negativity on Tesla, such as from the few posters in this thread, who probably never even had a chance to sit in a Tesla before, but talked as if they knew everything about the car."

• Informative
Reactions: M|S|W and tracksyde
As long as we’re wishing, how ‘bout if the judge just throws the whole thing out?

That would be a mixed blessing for shareholders: if it's thrown out without prejudice the SEC could re-file the suit anytime. If it's thrown out with prejudice the SEC would appeal it almost certainly - as it would probably set a precedent that severely curtails their legal toolkit. That would draw out the uncertainty for a long time.

It's also pretty hard for the judge to do anything in this case where the suit is so super young that there are almost no established facts she could rely on to make a substantial ruling in either direction.

The most likely outcome is that she ratifies the settlement tomorrow-ish.

And which book would help Elon? You think it was my fault believing in the CEO of the company you have also invested into?
The relevant point is that Musk promised nothing, but his desire. I would trust nothing that Musk says will happen when he expects it to happen. You've only lost $100/share if you sell it at that loss. If you felt you could sell it at $420, even if it were to do so, there's no way any outsider could predict when that would happen. Those long term shareholders on TMC would be almost (not guaranteed) certain that the SP will reach $420 within much less than a year.

Reactions: ZachShahan
The idea of AWD+SR still does not make a lot of sense to me. For one I’m not sure the extra weight will give it the same 225 mi range than the RWD (and there is less of a margin in the battery to account for the different efficiency). Further, given the likely voltage/power output difference of the new battery pack is there even enough juice to power 2 motors at reasonable power?
Then, given the production constraints that are going to remain for a while, Tesla cannot afford any loss of efficiency in production. Non PUP will already add a lot of complexity, so if SR is introduced it may only be RWD with or without PUP as the only available option, at least for a while.
AWD can be about traction just as much as it can be about power.

Range (LR vs SR) and interior(PUP vs non-PUP) are not related, however, if by standard we mean "base $35k" - that is non-PUP; PUP includes premium materials, which suggests non-premium materials in non-PUP and so far nobody saw an example of non-PUP to confirm that.
PUP items depend on having that options package, not the range rating of the car itself on the S and X models.

Yes, I believe @neroden noticed this first: their drive unit production took some time to spin up, as the ~80% AWD take rate and the resulting high demand for drive units was a happy but unexpected surprise.

The other bottleneck appears to be 2170 cell output - to be increased by more than 50% by the end of year (!).

50% ?
3 new lines...however what’s more important is the increased output of those 3 vs what’s already in place. there’s been some back and forth on all of that. is there anything new regarding this?
thanks for the info!

Fact-based conversation should be welcome everywhere. I'm not suggesting folks AstroTurf other forums with disingenuous propaganda.

It's rather ridiculous how blindly obsessed a few folks are with 'sharing' obvious drivel intended to make Tesla look bad.

Drivel?
You must be kidding!

We pay a lot of money to write this stuff. We run every article by a panel of typical stock brokers.
This testing takes lots of MONEY. Brokers aren't cheap.

Its very costly to find those words that will get someone to ditch a stock.
While to a tech savvy person it may sound like FUD, it's just what moves the market.

Yours Truly
Chief Editor
Shortsville Times

As a potential long-shot explanation of relative TSLA strength, I wonder how many shorts associate this SEC settlement with their 'Wells Notice' theory. They seem to get into these rather detailed fantasies about liquidity crises but as long as Tesla has a 40B$-50B$ chunk of equity to sell it seems ludicrous to wring your hands over 900M$ in debt maturity, so many of them have this fantasy that they can't actually hit the market up. Now of course there is some other older SEC investigation rumored to be ongoing, but perhaps they link settling one with the other.. shrug!

The reason I keep trying is I believe there are folks viewing these sorts of discussions on other brands' message boards who genuinely are / would be interested in Tesla but are hit with disingenuous negative 'information' which goes unchallenged or inadequately disputed, and those folks then move on rather than look more closely.

It's certainly not the driveling fools I target my rebuttals to...
That's the exact scenario I see on the Bolt forum. People that have never even sat in the Model 3 are convinced the center screen is a joke. I too would enjoy the eloquent counterpoints some of the royalty here could impart on the ignorant. Hello, fact checker, intl prof, neroden, lycan, artful d, rob, krug, the whole lot of you.

Reactions: M|S|W and SpaceCash
I don't know how much Tesla is already on the hook maybe to suppliers or cap.ex for it, but I rather naively think there's a ~20% chance that the non-PUP never gets released.

Reasons:
1) Simplify production
2) Simplify sales - no showroom variation (battery and EAP differences don't need exhibition)
3) Simplify service
4) 2019 BMW 3 now intros at 40k$
5) Gross margin SR - PUP is not particularly high, and may compete with Tesla Energy use for batteries
6) Model 3 may simply have that much demand
7) Leaves open more room for a 35k$ upgraded subcompact with higher margins than the 3 model
8) PUP is a better product for better word-of-mouth, displays Tesla brand better
9) Not a reason but evidence -- they haven't shown it yet

I think as Tesla slowly winds down the configuration price points most reservation holders will opt-in to a higher price package so the number of people legitimately waiting for the 35k$ is small, and can probably be compensated with minimal loss to Tesla.

A variation here is removing some of the options that might be the most troublesome (e.g metal roof), raising the base price a bit, and keeping a lower price PUP package for parts that may not have much impact in regard to the above reasons (audio system?)

Am I completely off the reservation?

Last edited:
is there anything new regarding this?

Yes: Panasonic is adding 3 new lines to the existing 10, but those new lines are much faster apparently, so cell output will increase from the current 20 GWh/year to 35 GWh/year.

This is where the three new "Grohmann machines" come in: 3x faster and 3x cheaper than the current battery module assembly lines.

35 GWh/year should be enough for 10k/week Model 3 plus plenty of Energy/Storage output.

All this combined could max out Frrmont, plus push pack level costs to around $100/kWh.

EM has talked about $35k for so long, they have to do it at some point.

I'm also fairly sure, releasing something at $35k will expand the market compared to base of $40k. Since Tesla wants to consistently sell > 20k per month (in US), they have to expand the market.

I think its a little more nuanced than that. Incremental profit margin on PUP is not straight forward linear with consumer cost. For example, a good deal of the cost is in the premium sound system, but Tesla outsources almost all of that (no Vertical integration), so the profit margin on that is smaller. Then the glass roof is a Tesla product, but we are still not sure if Tesla will remove it from the standard car (unannounced intent).

However, the Taxi fleet market is large, and will almost certainly want the standard car. Then if FSD becomes a thing, PM on those will be incrementally huge as software just has to be paid to be activated (all gravy).

And it's a big thing for Tesla to say it has a $35K car (the mythical Camry-killer), even if most sales are well beyound that. So I think they will just do what they said, 2.5 years ago, when volume allows them to do so profitably.

Cheers!

EM has talked about $35k for so long, they have to do it at some point.

I'm also fairly sure, releasing something at $35k will expand the market compared to base of $40k. Since Tesla wants to consistently sell > 20k per month (in US), they have to expand the market.

Also, having a $35k base available will get more people in the door who then spend $40k-$45k. That's how the system worked on me with my first two cars... 'It starts at $X, so let's go see it.' Then I find options A and B that I really want.

Status
Not open for further replies.