Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This thread is like high school. Everybody is either ecstatic or depressed. Thankfully some caring teachers are around, helping the lost.
The immigrant kids (like me) can learn a lot from the dropped breadcrumbs if wiki-google has the right answer. :)

Yeah forget Li Ion, I get the feeling most here could use some lithium to stabilise their mood when the stock yoyo’s as it does every day 1hr after open or upon a lairy Elon tweet. As I’ve said before, it’ll all be ok in the end. Hold tight and long and trust the fundamentals.

Tesla increases price of its new cheapest Model 3 just days after launch, reduces price of dual motor

I, for one, am happy to see Tesla fine tune their prices so quickly. My sense is that they are trying to match relative demand of the different submodels to optimize net income across their production mix. This sort of tweeking should only improve cash flow.
But it can cause hesitation with buyers. "If we wait another week the LR could drop again". This weekly tweaking points to a confused pricing strategy. That is not the position of strength investors want to see.

But it can cause hesitation with buyers. "If we wait another week the LR could drop again". This weekly tweaking points to a confused pricing strategy. That is not the position of strength investors want to see.

You say confused, I say agile. It's impossible to perfectly predict interest of a new product.

I really doubt the Tesla pickup will be body-on-frame. Too heavy = too many batteries, too expensive, too slow charging, etc. I'd expect an integrated unibody approach, where the design is simultaneously engineered for two similar shapes (one with a bed, one without, the front end being common between the two), with the welding process being adapted to be able to handle the differences.

Another possible hint could be that Musk has said a van could be done on the pickup platform.

The state of the art for vans nowadays is a hybrid unibody/frame approach, with strong frame rails behind the cab to handle heavy loads, as well as chassis cab variants.

Edit: Here's what the current Transit Chassis Cab looks like, for what it's worth (IIRC the Sprinter started this, but I couldn't quickly find a good photo of the Sprinter's frame):

004-2014-ford-transit-chassis-cab.jpg

(Source: 2014 Ford Transit unveiled in Chassis Cab and Cutaway versions)

Basically, it looks like a conventional frame behind the cab, but it's an extension of the unibody.

Now, I could also see the battery pack allowing a lighter frame, as its case AFAIK adds a lot of rigidity...

Last edited:
My top question is what Tesla is doing to improve the feedback loop from customers to the software team (which has been broken for years; software updates introduce bugs, they don't get fixed). Followed by what they're going to improve communications regarding deliveries, which are a notorious mess (see the Model 3 delivery forum).

But after the communications questions, "What's going on with the Puerto Rico projects" would actually be my top question.

C’mon man, tell us how you really feel about software stuff:D

(Just pokin at ya a bit:), carry on,)

Fire Away!

Anyone know why they just raised the price of Model 3M $1,000? This tweaking is getting really confusing.

Why do you think?

I think it’s because they hit an expectation threshold of orders and said, let’s kick it up 1k, drop AWD 1k, and see who converts at these price levels.

They did it with AWD to P conversion and also LR to AWD conversion. To be expected they’d do it here too, see what they can convert, and fill the rest at MR.

Status
Not open for further replies.