Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed. Mass in a wheeled vehicle matters most when stopping and starting (and to some degree climbing). Range matters most at high speed, and at high speed wind resistance is far more important than mass.

To put it another way, if you literally doubled the Model 3 cell-level energy density you'd shave off under 200kg from the vehicle's mass and cut the energy consumption by ~4%. Meanwhile, if you were to instead halve the cell cost you'd cut about $3-5k off the vehicle's production cost. Gee, I wonder which would make a bigger difference in the marketplace... 200kg weight reduction / 4% efficiency improvement, or a $3-5k (plus margin) discount? ;)

Or to put it another way: you could instead put that $3-5k back into the vehicle and build the vehicle out of lighter, more expensive materials, and you'd save a lot more than 200kg! An alumium body-in-white costs about $600-800 more than a steel one, while a CF body-in-white costs about $1200 more.

It's price per kWh that matters more than anything else in the automotive industry. A reduction in price per kWh means you can also increase the number of cells, simultaneously meaning more kWh, greater longevity, faster charge rates, and more power. Higher energy density does not, and often comes with just the opposite (some of the biggest problems with new high-density techs relate to cycle life and C rates)

Only in aircraft (and in oceanic transport / deep sea fishing, at least until floating gigachargers become a thing) is the key enabling tech for going electric "improvements in energy density".

Last edited:
This thread really is bipolar. Two days ago the sentiment was extremely negative, yesterday Tesla was gonna shoot to Mars and with todays MMD we're screwed again.

Cheer up guys. A few % consolidation is healthy after a +12% rise. If we just close green that's already good enough for me. Then after hours we can spike upwards as planned. :)

EDIT: @Todd Burch commented the same thing simultaneously.

This thread really is bipolar. Two days ago the sentiment was extremely negative, yesterday Tesla was gonna shoot to Mars and with todays MMD we're screwed again.

Cheer up guys. A few % consolidation is healthy after a +12% rise. If we just close green that's already good enough for me. Then after hours we can spike upwards as planned. :)

EDIT: @Todd Burch commented the same thing simultaneously.

People here turn into Pollyannas the instant TSLA has a single good day.

Seriously, people, are you new to this stock or something?

You think so ? I gave him just over a minute (which is more than Joe Rogan? got) the first thing that sprung to my mind was "Mr Trite" (Bob Newhart - the retirement party) Well worth a listen for younger viewers and a better use of time than listening to this two faced t**t.

Well thanks for making me listen to an hour of Bob Newhart instead of reading TMC Market Action!

Seriously, thanks!

Now back to the Action.

The Y also completes Tesla's automotive product line nicely, so I'm pretty sure the Y will get priority over the Semi.
Don't forget the Tesla Pickup!

I do agree that the Y seems highly likely to get priority over the Semi. Tesla has priced the Semi pretty aggressively, in my opinion, and the realization of $0.07/kWh for Megacharging (on-road charging for the Semi) is going to require major infrastructure build-out. My guess is that Tesla will start by selling a very limited number of Semis to key customers with more-or-less fixed driving routes.

I do agree that the Y seems highly likely to get priority over the Semi. Tesla has priced the Semi pretty aggressively, in my opinion, and the realization of $0.07/kWh for Megacharging (on-road charging for the Semi) is going to require major infrastructure build-out. My guess is that Tesla will start by selling a very limited number of Semis to key customers with more-or-less fixed driving routes.

I think Semi has commitment to customers as does Roadster. However these are low volume cars. If monies are not a problem, I think all 3 will happen at once, else Semi, Y then Roadster ..

I hope it doesn't end up being the monster truck that can carry an f150 in the bed like in the banner image. My favorite pickup all-time is the gmc syclone, I'd actually prefer a small pickup that can go close to roadster speed, but I can see why they'd want to make it at least a full-size pickup to shovel the dirt over ford.

I hope it doesn't end up being the monster truck that can carry an f150 in the bed like in the banner image. My favorite pickup all-time is the gmc syclone, I'd actually prefer a small pickup that can go close to roadster speed, but I can see why they'd want to make it at least a full-size pickup to shovel the dirt over ford.

I expect it to be the same size as Model Y, and built on the same platform. It'll be a monster in terms of power and torque, though....

To put it another way, if you literally doubled the Model 3 cell-level energy density you'd shave off under 200kg from the vehicle's mass and cut the energy consumption by ~4%. Meanwhile, if you were to instead halve the cell cost you'd cut about $3-5k off the vehicle's production cost. Gee, I wonder which would make a bigger difference in the marketplace... 200kg weight reduction / 4% efficiency improvement, or a $3-5k (plus margin) discount? ;)

Or to put it another way: you could instead put that $3-5k back into the vehicle and build the vehicle out of lighter, more expensive materials, and you'd save a lot more than 200kg! An alumium body-in-white costs about $600-800 more than a steel one, while a CF body-in-white costs about $1200 more.

It's price per kWh that matters more than anything else in the automotive industry. A reduction in price per kWh means you can also increase the number of cells, simultaneously meaning more kWh, greater longevity, faster charge rates, and more power. Higher energy density does not, and often comes with just the opposite (some of the biggest problems with new high-density techs relate to cycle life and C rates)

Only in aircraft (and in oceanic transport / deep sea fishing, at least until floating gigachargers become a thing) is the key enabling tech for going electric "improvements in energy density".
If you halve the cell weight, you will pretty much halve the cost per kWh. (Provided you use basically the same materials.) Energy density is really important.

Status
Not open for further replies.