Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No. When talking about old streetlights, it's high voltage as in several kilovolts. A single transformer pumps up the voltage for a whole string of streetlamps in series. The only reason that they don't all go out when one bulb burns out is that they're designed to fuse the circuit closed at a bulb if that bulb burns out. Individual streetlights, obviously, cannot be turned on or off in this arrangement, and there is, obviously, no power to them except when the lights are on.

This is the older design for streetlights, but it's still in use in places. Parallel lighting is predominant in modern systems, although series is still dominant in airfield uses. Even for modern parallel streetlight systems running on mains power, though, there's no guarantee that the circuits will be live during the day, and the wiring won't be rated for EV charging currents.
side question: from experience or research? (and is there more than one lit airfield in Iceland? NATO/Icelandair just one or two?)

Tesla doesn't need 51% market share right away.

Tesla Semi and Youtube videos of Tesla pickup out stump pulling a Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins Turbodiesel will quiet the attempted ridicule right quick.

Obama voters buy full size pickups too.Maybe less than a third of the market. That is still ~800k addressable market plus maybe 200k Liberal-NDP-Bloc Quebecois voters that buy full size pickups in Canada.

Toyota sells about 115k full size pickups a year in the US plus ~10k in Canada.

Nissan sells about 50k full size pickups in the US plus ~5k in Canada.

Given that the top Model 3 conquest are Camry,Corolla,Accord,Civic,LEAF, and BMW 3 Series maybe Tesla pickup starts by scooping up Japanese full size pickup market share first.
side note: Model X about 50k world wide/year.

It's street parking for everyone and people spent a lot of time in the evenings trying to find a space for their car when they come home from work. More and more public electric charges are being installed by cities, but it's only just started and no apartment tennant/owner can claim the nearest charging spot as their own.

In the Netherlands, this issue is also addressed by fast charging company Fastned. In their opinion it's more economical to serve the households without access to home charging with fast chargers instead of having millions of public AC charging poles. Maybe not as convenient as just plug, charge, walk home and pick up your car when you are ready to go, but it takes away the need to find a public AC charging pole, either at home or at destination.

What i do see in my area is that the increase in number of BEV vastly outpaces the increase of public charging poles. And i do expect that discrepancy to grow. For me it is more then "just a nice to have" that a BEV can charge on the Chademo or CCS network.

For further reference, Fastned slightly addresses the issue on page 3&4 of the document below ("faster charging drives costs down & serving those who do not have their own driveway"):
http://static.fastned.nl/uploads/documents/fastned-freedom-plan.pdf

Even less on topic, the roll out of their network goes substantially slower then stated in the linked document. And i wouldn't take their charted plan to come to every European country too serious, I think things have changed in all countries since the document was made. But as far as i'm concerned it's sufficient already for my part of the Netherlands :) For full disclosure, i do have some shares in that company, which may or may not interfere with my view of the matter.

Skimmed a couple dozen pages, and not sure these points have been mentioned.

Contra @tivoboy, the tendency of short-term traders is to get into what's working and get out of what's not. To make matters worse for those shorting Tesla, a lot of the 'value' oriented fund managers were using TSLA as a proxy for over valued stocks. They were using it as a hedge against their other stocks. Their numbers are looking horrible this month as markets tank, and Tesla is in an upswing. They're pretty antsy. It's gonna be hard to explain the returns on supposedly market neutral portfolios. I can only wish them luck (not!).

Another interesting observation is TSLA traded inline with F and GM, probably thanks to china auto tariff news. Happy for the up day, but hope it wasn't bots.

Last edited:
Chevy just announced a prototype "eCOPO Camaro" that does a quarter mile in the 9's. gonna be hard for rednecks to scoff at the idea of electric cars when Chevy's own fastest cars are electric (even if they're just dumb purpose-built for the drag strip concept cars).
This part is very interesting:
The eCOPO Camaro’s electric motor has the same bellhousing mounting pattern and crankshaft flange as the popular LS-family engines in Chevrolet’s crate engine portfolio. That allows it to bolt up to just about any General Motors transmission. In fact, the transmission, driveshaft and other drivetrain components remain in the same locations as in a gasoline-powered COPO Camaro race car, meaning the electric motor simply bolts into the engine compartment in place of the gas engine.
This would make a lot of conversion projects much easier.
Chevrolet unveils electric-powered eCOPO Camaro race car concept at SEMA Show

They way nsdq futures are heading, TOMORROW might yield capitulation. Even though today was an over 800+ reversal (ITD), we probably need ANOTHER 5% to the downside on the NSDQ. Everything will get taken out regardless, so be cautious. I know nobody will believe this, but stocks that are UP will be used to buy more stocks that are DOWN. So, as much as everyone may think we're off to 420, at 330$ (AH) this is still an ATM from mid year, last WEEK, etc. Profits will be used to buy better % gains going forward. The chance that TESLA goes up 30% from here SOON is low, but the chance that SQ, or AMZN or V or F even goes up 30% from these levels is much higher. Money chases opportunity, not fundamentals.
I think it will be interesting to see how TSLA does when there is a really strong sustained bounce. My guess is that it will do well but not nearly as well as the stocks that are way down right now. There is a tendency to think that if it does this well with the market tanking, it is so strong that it will absolutely crush it when the market starts heading back up. TSLA doesn't typically do that, as the trading money heads to other opportunities, as you mentioned. I think this is a possibility for everyone to keep in mind and not be disappointed if TSLA doesn't keep up with AMZN, NFLX, etc... when they go into rocket mode at some point. TSLA will be heading beyond ATH before long though. Whether it is sooner or a little later, nobody knows.

Option_Sniper on Twitter

He’s often times right in his theories
NVDA touched an ATH of $290 not less than 2 months ago. It's now below $190 on literally no news whatsoever. If NVDA isn't an opportunity right now there's something wrong with the world.

As someone who has held NVDA from an original stake of $11.80 a share and a cost basis of around $60, I'm not sure how I feel about having all this value wiped out in less than 2 months. On the one hand, I'm still up a tremendous amount on NVDA. On the other hand, nothing sucks more than something you've held long for years just evaporate nearly 50% of it's value for literally no reason whatsoever. NVDA has not reported any news about anything but because of the sudden collapse of other chip stocks, including it's graphics rival AMD, it's been dragged down into the Marianas Trench by sheer association.

I just hope that NVDA does not miss it's earning estimates when it reports it's quarterly earnings in early November.

auto stock are up due to china 50% import tax cut.
NVDA touched an ATH of $290 not less than 2 months ago. It's now below $190 on literally no news whatsoever. If NVDA isn't an opportunity right now there's something wrong with the world.

As someone who has held NVDA from an original stake of $11.80 a share and a cost basis of around $60, I'm not sure how I feel about having all this value wiped out in less than 2 months. On the one hand, I'm still up a tremendous amount on NVDA. On the other hand, nothing sucks more than something you've held long for years just evaporate nearly 50% of it's value for literally no reason whatsoever. NVDA has not reported any news about anything but because of the sudden collapse of other chip stocks, including it's graphics rival AMD, it's been dragged down into the Marianas Trench by sheer association.

I just hope that NVDA does not miss it's earning estimates when it reports it's quarterly earnings in early November.

I am just a baffled over this. Market had loss it senses. I am pretty much saved by my obsession with TSLA. Otherwise I would have it own loads of the names that have gone down big, especially NVDA. Make me want to sell my TSLA shares to get back into those shares....maybe.

Reactions: M|S|W and SpaceCash
But usually people don't buy for one thing. They'd want to use the truck to carry all kinds of building materials, old furniture etc etc. While I'm sure some people "baby" their trucks, my guess is most don't.
Incorrect. Many ppl baby their trucks and trucks are a huge, high dollar market. Just cuz you baby it doesn't mean you don't use it for towing. Ford is solely focused on trucks for a good reason. In the Midwest...I don't even see alot of sedans. It's either the crossovers or pick ups Tesla will have a huge market if they do pick ups. Texas will become green as _-#+#+_@

I have made money on NVDA in the past but no longer particularly bullish on them. Processing 1s and 0s has already been commoditised and it can only be a race to the bottom now. Fortnite etc. on phones will kill PC sales eventually (or Netflix..). Tesla has killed their autonomous game. Cloud could be eaten by Chinese ARM semi conductors easily enough. I'm 100% TSLA at the moment because I don't see these type of risks on the horizon. The world is flooded with chips and I don't see how we will use all the data - only a future AI can make use of it and machine learning is too dependant on slow mouse clicking humans to guide/instruct.

Status
Not open for further replies.