Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
$10 billion in debt. But that's not such a problem, because most of it is not yet due (so your mortgage analogy is appropriate). The problem is the $2.4 billion owed to suppliers and $850 million owed to depositors, both of which can be demanded almost immediately, together with the $1.2 billion in debt due in the next 12 months.
Tesla always owes a billion or two to their suppliers. It gets paid from sales proceeds as cars are made. New cars are always in production and so suppliers are always supplying parts as Tesla is consuming them. New parts are delivered as old parts are paid for so there is always a balance owed to suppliers; it's actually desirable to see this number growing - it means that production is increasing. If it were to be paid off, that would mean that Tesla isn't getting parts delivery and therefore isn't building cars. At some point in the past some suppliers may have required Tesla to pay in advance and therefore they didn't have such a "debt" but those days are long gone.
The "depositors" could theoretically demand their money, but it won't ever realistically happen while Tesla is building cars. For the most part that "debt" is also a steady-state debt that is "paid" as cars are delivered to customers (crediting them for their deposit) and "renewed" as new reservations role in.
The only "problem" left is the $1.2 billion debt due in a year, except Tesla has enough money handle that and likely will have much more by the time it is due.

This morning's news has turned the entire weekend around. Prior to this I think many longs were wondering what Tesla will end the quarter at, afraid that the shorts know something that they don't. Now I think the shoe is on the other foot. At the very least, Tesla is at 200+/day steady rate going into the last week in March, which is 2x what they exited Q4 at (if you believe the Q4 exit steady rate was 700, many believe it to be lower). Another quarter like this and they're pretty close to cash flow neutral. This also leaves room for even more upside surprise.The shorts are the ones waiting for the other shoe to drop on Monday, could Tesla have actually achieved 300/day for the entire week, could it be even higher at the end of the week? (I seem to be obsessed with shoes in this post) I can't wait for Monday :D

Good points, but plenty of fuel left for the bears. The bother of Mr Huang, says the victim used AP on the route and constantly complained to Tesla about safety. . If the NTSB finds the system was in use at the crash, it will be bad. NTSB could ban the use of it. This high margin option goes away or has to be redesigned with lidar. Tesla will be flooded with refund requests from those that have already paid for the system. Moody's said another downgrade is coming soon, if they don't meet the 2500/day by the end of March. Investors could point to lack of demand on MS and MX, vehicles that have some margin in them. We may soon find cash burned faster than planned, with no good options to fill the coffers.

This would be fine if Elon hadn't promised we would be at 10,000 cars a week already or whatever the original forecast was.

The problem isn't the actual run rate, which really is ramping up. The problem is Elon's impossible promises which everyone takes seriously and also the fact that he doesn't seem to have left any room for error in terms of the amount of cash on hand his company is holding to see them through the period where they are ramping up and burning cash and not yet cash flow positive.

Elon set these expectations and people are reacting negatively because they are nowhere near the expectations. He's the CEO of a publicly traded company with shareholders. The same shareholders, mind you, who just approved a compensation package which might be worth $50 to $200 billion if the company is successful beyond anyone's wildest dreams. He needs to learn how to be honest with his shareholders and set realistic expectations and make honest production forecasts. I'm not asking for a lot here, am I?

There are alot of unknowns when development and manufacturing a new technology. Bascially there is no way to be exact years in advance when no one has done it before. For example Apple routinely missed initial i-Phone production for basically every model through the 6 and then again with the airbuds.

Yes they have, like I said in an earlier post - The last Q call they said they gave themselves a buffer with cash until June.
Is June going to be enough to reach 5,000/week or whatever they're supposed to be at to become cash flow positive? They've pushed their run rate forecast back 3 times already and they are probably not going to make the current one. They are pretty opaque about their numbers so it's a mystery if they will have enough capital to make it to cash flow positive. It's a big risk right now and it's not clear who will lend them money if they do end up needing a last-second capital raise to get them there.

• Love
Reactions: X Yes?
This would be fine if Elon hadn't promised we would be at 10,000 cars a week already or whatever the original forecast was.

The problem isn't the actual run rate, which really is ramping up. The problem is Elon's impossible promises which everyone takes seriously and also the fact that he doesn't seem to have left any room for error in terms of the amount of cash on hand his company is holding to see them through the period where they are ramping up and burning cash and not yet cash flow positive.

Elon set these expectations and people are reacting negatively because they are nowhere near the expectations. He's the CEO of a publicly traded company with shareholders. The same shareholders, mind you, who just approved a compensation package which might be worth $50 to $200 billion if the company is successful beyond anyone's wildest dreams. He needs to learn how to be honest with his shareholders and set realistic expectations and make honest production forecasts. I'm not asking for a lot here, am I?
Are you saying Elon is dishonest or unrealistic? If the former I have some serious beef with that. If the latter, yeah that's why I like Tesla, they set crazy goals, and eventually get there, instead of making "realistic" excuses why they're not doing it now, and table it for "in 3-5 years".

In the end who cares Elon set unrealistic goals and is 6 months late? They're still growing at 50-100% YoY, and about to hit cash flow neutral/positive, I could care less what PPS it is today, last month/quarter, next month/quarter, I would be crazy to sell any shares now knowing what it could be in 5 years.

Last edited:
They are pretty opaque about their numbers so it's a mystery if they will have enough capital to make it to cash flow positive
So then why are you on here spouting negativity? I gave you the most up-to-date fact from them (and actually I think it was Depak who also chimed in saying this about their buffer timeline, not just Elon) and you are on here posting on assumptions.....

Is June going to be enough to reach 5,000/week or whatever they're supposed to be at to become cash flow positive? They've pushed their run rate forecast back 3 times already and they are probably not going to make the current one. They are pretty opaque about their numbers so it's a mystery if they will have enough capital to make it to cash flow positive. It's a big risk right now and it's not clear who will lend them money if they do end up needing a last-second capital raise to get them there.
Depend on what steady run rate you think they exited Q4 at. Optimistically people think it was 700/wk, many thought it was closer to 500/wk. From 500 to 1500/wk (assuming they don't make any progress this last week in March), they've tripled it in a quarter. One more quarter like this and they're at 4500/wk.

Reactions: bdy0627
Depend on what steady run rate you think they exited Q4 at. Optimistically people think it was 700/wk, many thought it was closer to 500/wk. From 500 to 1500/wk (assuming they don't make any progress this last week in March), they've tripled it in a quarter. One more quarter like this and they're at 4500/wk.

What if they could do 1500/week in the last week like Elon asked them to try to shoot for, or close to it like 1350/week ?

a 1-day retool? Is that even possible?

It depends on what's being done. If it's on Friday it will likely lead into the weekend. Interior assembly is fairly manual. Swapping out the interior assembly jigs/tools isn't nearly as complex as it would be with major body weldments. And the sub assembly stations would have been done separately elsewhere in the plant.

Maybe I'm just being wishful! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.