Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What if they could do 1500/week in the last week like Elon asked them to try to shoot for, or close to it like 1350/week ?
I don't understand where your question comes from. 200+/day is not a what-if, it's a stated fact in Doug Field's email, written on Friday 3/23, as of that day, the line is running at over 200/day in all parts of the line. I added emphasis on that I think Doug is trying to make sure that people understand that this is a steady state rate, that they're not banking parts to do a burst rate.

Reactions: Skryll
Deliveries have definitely picked up:
View attachment 290268
But deliveries are lagging indicator. VIN assignments as a proxy for production show that volume from around Mar 20 didn't continue strongly. Hence, there are still production line tweaks going on, and production is not on the solid ground.
View attachment 290270
In hind sight the VIN assignment push in the last few weeks maybe a precursor to the delivery push this week. They may have assigned VINs further in advance while the car is still a few days from finishing production, in order to make sure they can find buyers that can take deliveries before EoQ. And now the EoQ deliveries are all scheduled and proceeding, they may be back to assigning VIN only after the car is out of production. I don't think one should necessarily read VIN assignment as exactly representing the production on a day to day granularity. I think week to week may still be granular in this case of EoQ push.

Good points, but plenty of fuel left for the bears. The bother of Mr Huang, says the victim used AP on the route and constantly complained to Tesla about safety. . If the NTSB finds the system was in use at the crash, it will be bad. NTSB could ban the use of it. This high margin option goes away or has to be redesigned with lidar. Tesla will be flooded with refund requests from those that have already paid for the system. Moody's said another downgrade is coming soon, if they don't meet the 2500/day by the end of March. Investors could point to lack of demand on MS and MX, vehicles that have some margin in them. We may soon find cash burned faster than planned, with no good options to fill the coffers.
I'm a little worried about what these agencies may do regarding Autopilot. Even though this unfortunate person should have been obviously paying attention, particularly after already experiencing some swerves toward the median using Autopilot in that same area previously, the fact is that this particular incident emphasizes how dangerous Autopilot can be. This is assuming Autopilot was being used. Will these agencies feel that they need to do something, particularly from the standpoint of the public's perception of them, to avoid further incidents like this? If so, they might tell Tesla to shut it down until it is safer. This is not my personal wish as I use the technology every day and love it. I'm also careful with it. Evidently not everyone is.

Reactions: X Yes?
I'm a little worried about what these agencies may do regarding Autopilot. Even though this unfortunate person should have been obviously paying attention, particularly after already experiencing some swerves toward the median using Autopilot in that same area previously, the fact is that this particular incident emphasizes how dangerous Autopilot can be. This is assuming Autopilot was being used. Will these agencies feel that they need to do something, particularly from the standpoint of the public's perception of them, to avoid further incidents like this? If so, they might tell Tesla to shut it down until it is safer. This is not my personal wish as I use the technology every day and love it. I'm also careful with it. Evidently not everyone is.
What exactly do you think they will ask Tesla to shut down? Auto-steer which is lane keeping assist? TACC which is speed aware cruise control? If this is true then the whole car industry will be impacted.

• Informative
Reactions: Sudre
Is June going to be enough to reach 5,000/week or whatever they're supposed to be at to become cash flow positive? They've pushed their run rate forecast back 3 times already and they are probably not going to make the current one. They are pretty opaque about their numbers so it's a mystery if they will have enough capital to make it to cash flow positive. It's a big risk right now and it's not clear who will lend them money if they do end up needing a last-second capital raise to get them there.
I wouldn't bet on it at this point, but they may get pretty close. I think many of us believe 5,000/week will more likely happen some time in Q3.

Deliveries have definitely picked up:
View attachment 290268
But deliveries are lagging indicator. VIN assignments as a proxy for production show that volume from around Mar 20 didn't continue strongly. Hence, there are still production line tweaks going on, and production is not on the solid ground.
View attachment 290270

I think it is more likely that Tesla is focused on West Coast deliveries and that as soon as the quarter is over VIN assignments will pick up again.

Reactions: Jonathan Hewitt
I find it interesting that the same day shorts start running out of shares to borrow is the same day the game of whack-a-mole ends.

On a humorous note.... What if "200 Model 3 sedans a day on every line" turns into a surprise 2800 a week because there are two full lines making Model 3s at 200 a day and the Tesla spokesman says, "Well we did say all lines not just one line."

What exactly do you think they will ask Tesla to shut down? Auto-steer which is lane keeping assist? TACC which is speed aware cruise control? If this is true then the whole car industry will be impacted.
In their current state, both have serious weaknesses that may have contributed to that recent fatal accident. TACC is awesome but it struggles to identify stationary objects in the path of the car, like the concrete barrier that was struck. Auto steer is highly dependent on how well a roadway is marked, and gets confused at times about which way the vehicle is supposed to go even when it is obvious to a human. Autosteer may have placed the car on a collision course for the concrete barrier that TACC ignored or didn't detect since it was stationary.

Heads up from general thread. Don't make him come over here...

MODERATOR INPUT:

The tragic situation of the Rte 101 crash, while of incidental importance in a General way to investment discussions, has more than occupied enough screen space in the "Investors" sub-forum. Until such time as, for example, NHTSA/NHSB reports are made public, ALL further discussion is to be confined to the relevant threads elsewhere.

More: if for some reason you didn't read or otherwise don't heed this, you'll find your posting abilities curtailed. This includes any discussion regarding this specific post.

Exactly. Every serious business vets their customers. Credit worthiness and credibility on projected orders are an integral part of that decision. At some point a supplier will reconsider if it still makes sense to keep a customer when both suffer blows. And if not, you raise your price, you ask concessions or other guarantees or you simply fire the customer. Elon is certainly no stranger to that concept.

There is no real way for us to decide if any of Tesla's suppliers are at a point where reconsideration is possible, but dismissing it as an impossibility is unwise. I am pretty sure Tesla management is constantly working on this issue with their suppliers.

What’s your point? Like fish there’s more than one supplier in the ocean. There’s also the very real ability of Tesla to take a part in house because been there, done that.

Trying to make an entirely solveable hypothetical scenario into, omg it could happen, is ridiculous at this point.

Feel free to come up with an impossible problem to solve, then I’ll get my panties in a knot.

Last edited:
Good points, but plenty of fuel left for the bears. The bother of Mr Huang, says the victim used AP on the route and constantly complained to Tesla about safety. . If the NTSB finds the system was in use at the crash, it will be bad. NTSB could ban the use of it. This high margin option goes away or has to be redesigned with lidar. Tesla will be flooded with refund requests from those that have already paid for the system. Moody's said another downgrade is coming soon, if they don't meet the 2500/day by the end of March. Investors could point to lack of demand on MS and MX, vehicles that have some margin in them. We may soon find cash burned faster than planned, with no good options to fill the coffers.

FUD, FUD, and more FUD.

First, NTSB has no authority to "ban" Autopilot. This is an outright lie on your part. They are an investigative body that can issue recommendations: https://www.ntsb.gov/about/Pages/default.aspx

Second, Autopilot is a distinct option from Full Self Driving. Almost every driver assist system available to customers today uses only Radar and Cameras. It is highly unlikely that Autopilot would be "refunded". Whether FSD can be accomplished without LIDAR is still up for debate. Your assertion is misleading.

Third, there does not appear to be any "lack of demand" for existing Tesla products:

"Tesla confirmed to Business Insider that the Model S and X delays are due to an increase in demand for the vehicles rather than production difficulties. That's surprising, as some thought the Model 3, Tesla's most affordable car to date, would cannibalize sales of the S and X." - Tesla is pushing back Model S and Model X delivery dates — but that may actually be a good sign for the company

Mode S, Model X, and Model 3 serve different product segments.

Cash flow and operating capital are legitimate concerns, but until the Q1 report, nobody will know the current situation or trends.

There is a difference between bringing up legitimate concerns, and trying to gin up fear through misinformation and insinuation.

FUD, FUD, and more FUD.

First, NTSB has no authority to "ban" Autopilot. This is an outright lie on your part. They are an investigative body that can issue recommendations: https://www.ntsb.gov/about/Pages/default.aspx

Second, Autopilot is a distinct option from Full Self Driving. Almost every driver assist system available to customers today uses only Radar and Cameras. It is highly unlikely that Autopilot would be "refunded". Whether FSD can be accomplished without LIDAR is still up for debate. Your assertion is misleading.

Third, there does not appear to be any "lack of demand" for existing Tesla products:

"Tesla confirmed to Business Insider that the Model S and X delays are due to an increase in demand for the vehicles rather than production difficulties. That's surprising, as some thought the Model 3, Tesla's most affordable car to date, would cannibalize sales of the S and X." - Tesla is pushing back Model S and Model X delivery dates — but that may actually be a good sign for the company

Mode S, Model X, and Model 3 serve different product segments.

Cash flow and operating capital are legitimate concerns, but until the Q1 report, nobody will know the current situation or trends.

There is a difference between bringing up legitimate concerns, and trying to gin up fear through misinformation and insinuation.

I'd like to comment further on Autopilot but will respect Mods demands on this. Plenty of question on MS and MX demand. Why on earth would a company suspend production at the end of the quarter, on 2 supposedly high margin products? Why would they offer yuge end of quarter discounts on cars with few miles? MS power steering recall won't help sales or margins. We'll have the numbers soon.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.