Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I still don't know how InsideEVs gets their monthly Tesla delivery estimates. They seem fairly accurate, but does anyone know how they actually *do* it?

Revealed: InsideEVs Electric Car Sales Estimates And Methodology

"One primary source of data is VIN numbers and additional delivery information reported by Tesla buyers around the web, social media, and to InsideEVs directly. We also use global sales and registration data when available. We place less importance on rumored or “leaked” reports of weekly production, as they vary wildly, are often incorrect, and are not always representative of monthly deliveries. We do consider this information when it is from a source that we trust."

TL;dr They're 'Bloomberging' it.

Looks 1 of the 3 new 2170 cell lines is operation, with Panasonic saying today they've got 11 lines cranking and two more coming soon. I believe the last we heard was that it was almost ready.

Someone should do the math on how many cars Tesla can produce with 50% MR and an additional line. Probably over 6K now.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-11-01 at 3.43.52 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-11-01 at 3.43.52 PM.png
    93 KB · Views: 69
Interesting German Survey & Study:
  • Germans consider Tesla with 61% as the leading brand in EVs
  • Second leading company is considered to be BMW with 24%
  • The interest to buy an EV has grown to 41% since 2016
  • People who consider to buy an EV plan to invest € 30k versus ICE € 24k.
Tesla für viele Deutsche führende Elektroauto-Marke (Studie) > Teslamag.de

So the German automakers can pay their government off to oppose Tesla but it turns out they can't pay all the people of their country? Hmm. I'm sure VW et. al can solve their problems by directly paying German people to buy their cars!

• Funny
Reactions: humbaba
Revealed: InsideEVs Electric Car Sales Estimates And Methodology

"One primary source of data is VIN numbers and additional delivery information reported by Tesla buyers around the web, social media, and to InsideEVs directly. We also use global sales and registration data when available. We place less importance on rumored or “leaked” reports of weekly production, as they vary wildly, are often incorrect, and are not always representative of monthly deliveries. We do consider this information when it is from a source that we trust."

TL;dr They're 'Bloomberging' it.

Yup, plus they apply a correction fudging on the last month of the Q once the quarterly number comes out from Tesla. That way it always "looks" correct for the entire quarter and nobody can claim that they were way off base.

They're so sure in their methods that a difference of 50 is worth calling it down? surely that is within their margin of error? A better headline would be "Tesla Model 3 sales ramp slowed in October, relatively flat from August" which would leave them the wiggle room later if they're over/under a bit.

Tesla continues its dominance.....

Easy headline and truthful as well.

AAPL earnings call - and I thought the last Tesla call was boring...
They are no longer gonna advise how many of each product they have sold within the quarter. The analysts won't like that. Down another 1% to -6%.

I bought it today too of course :( numbers seem good to me, their valuation is sane with a PE of about 20.

This drop will drag almost whole market down tomorrow unfortunately.

More bad news for bars tomorrow?
Looks 1 of the 3 new 2170 cell lines is operation, with Panasonic saying today they've got 11 lines cranking and two more coming soon. I believe the last we heard was that it was almost ready.

Someone should do the math on how many cars Tesla can produce with 50% MR and an additional line. Probably over 6K now.
In the conference call, JB, mentioned that one of the 3 lines had come online.

"The six investors own a combined 0.55% of Tesla’s shares outstanding, according to Mr. Waizenegger."

Tesla Investor Group Calls for Board Overhaul, More Oversight of Elon Musk
Is this what's called " activist investors " ? Not sure of my terminology but I know what I mean, sh1t stirring know-all's who ALWAYS know more about running a company , no matter whatever the product, than the people in it. On a level with if not WORSE than the shorters. ONLY the money matters.:mad:

The 3 new lines are 5 GWh/year each - the existing lines are 2 GWh/year.

So the new line adds +25% of cell output. If Tesla makes 5k/week with the MR then the new number is ~6.2k/week - and ~6k/week of the new line is not fully up to speed yet (which looks probable).

It means that it's basically accounted for as if they owned it, and borrowed money to buy it. Although it's technically leased.

An awful lot of leases are, in economic substance, purchases with financing; they're now being called "financing leases". This is sensible accounting.
So who's employees are operating this equipment? Tesla or Panasonic? If Tesla, what do the Panasonic employees at the gigafactory do? It seems really weird to lease the equipment from Panasonic yet have Panasonic employees operate the equipment that Panasonic owns yet leases to Tesla. Also I thought that Panasonic rented manufacturing space inside the gigafactory from Tesla. If so, does Panasonic pay rent on the space to place and operate equipment that Tesla leases from them? The mind boggles.

Why would they give you such a deal?!? £7200 for 1,5 year, they’ll lose a lot of money on that lease. I thought this only happened with compliance cars in CA. But in the UK? It’s not like Jaguar are swimming in money, they lost a bundle in Q3. Do they have trouble selling iPaces already? I really don’t understand it.

I don't understand it either. But I like it! :D

Reactions: M|S|W
Only posting this stuff after hours since it is off hours, but I’d like if mods allow no more than one post per day by me like this:

So to summarize, you all helped me learn then execute an investment strategy that let me buy a $50,000 car - of course a model 3.

Like literally YOU ALL did this.

I have 2 kids and this is a lot of money for me. I’m waiting on vin.

Then I proposed an EV charging solution for my workplace and now I am executing it. I’m the program manager and it’s going in as fast as I can write POs.

I’ve had soooo many peers at work ask to test drive it’s insane. We make nuclear medicine, more of it than anybody else. Curiumpharma.com. Lots of engineers, chemists, etc.

“So you just plug in then wake up every day with a full car? You don’t have to get gas? And now work is buying charges?”

Like seriously...

The last time somebody was buying a car at your work...did anybody give a F—-?

I just walk down the hall...”Ben you’re getting a Tesla? Can I try it?”

And I just told my close friends at work: didn’t make a big deal out of it.

I think we all are underestimating how big this will go.

I may only help a tiny bit but I’m going to help.

Just wish I could toss em into a Performance but I can’t financially :(

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.