Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Macros are drunk. Lot of fear going around, it seems.

Yes, $TSLA today almost perfectly mirrored the fluctuations of the NASDAQ-100 futures: they bottomed together and they peaked together.

The macro fears are justified: both Italy and BRExit are big unknowns that will have global effects if the crisis escalates, Trump obviously can tank the economy. Flight from the Euro to the dollar will drop all USD denominated equities.

At least the U.S. housing market doesn't look like is tanking from today's report (as expected really), that's one less recession trigger to worry about.

A metric sugar ton, especially if they are switching to trucking from rail for deliveries. Each Semi is a momentary drop in revenue for a long term boost.

generalized categories that cross over in timing:
Delivery transports (Tesla owned)
Fremont to Sparks trucks
Fremont to Port of LA trucks (emissions restrictions)
Supplier trucks (with cost reductions to Tesla)
Outright purchased trucks.

MA: Red but trending up...
Each early truck that Tesla retains for its own use is an investment. It is also R&D. It would be well played for Tesla to have a highly reliable product before taking it to market. For example, the problems that BYD is having trying to move aggressively into electric buses is tarnishing both its own reputation and the image of EV buses generally. Tesla really cannot afford to enter the market that way. They need to have a thoroughly battle tested fleet of semis before they take this product to market. Even beta testing with high profile clients is high risk. We absolutely do not want a situation where the likes of UPS is returning beta version products back to Tesla. Just imagine the flood of negative press that would generate. That could well send the stock back to sub-$300 levels a year or two from now. Tesla needs at least tens of millions of test miles on its own fleet before walking into that.

Last edited:
If you followed me into this, I closed this bcs today. bought back dec355 for 23.25, sold dec345 for 34$, net credit 10.75$ (paid 0$). Could probably have let the $345 stretch a bit but buying back the Dec355 was key.

If we CLOSE over $355.5 today it will be a good sign.. if we don't, it won't be a good sign. Not sure what is bringing this little rally, its a bit of a disconnect and I don't think its just everybody coming around to thinking TESLA is somehow undervalued.

A close under $355 could lead to another sub $348, and I would look to put this spread on again.
So, didn't really think I'd be able to re-enter this trade so quickly, but put it back on today picked up the dec345 call at 19.24 (it went to 18.8x), and I'll look to try and sell the dec355 call to pair this up at 26-27.5$ for a net CREDIT of +6.75-7.75$. Spread will pay 10$ at expiration as well. I think I might just watch and hold this to expiration.

stay frosty.

Status
Not open for further replies.