Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is why I never say a thing about what the SP is doing or going to do until after it does. The number of times people comment on premarket and what the stock is going to do after 30 seconds of trading and are wrong is not mouse nuts.

And this is why I don’t start to gloat over possible “short squeeze”. They have yet to come to fruition. I will celebrate once I KNOW it has happened.

Well that's more like it! Green Day :D TSLA Up Where We Belong :p

NASDAQ - Movers by % Change @ 11:50 EST

NASDAQ-100..FAANG.by%chg.2018-11-25.11-50.png

CH3ERS!

Pretty weak resistance above at $344.5, but don't forget the overall head fake. And/or Market head fake. Overall, I think we could rally back to $356-360 in the near term. $365 is not out of the realm of highly possible. We'll have several overall market catalysts in the next FIVE market days. Fed speech this week. Fed Minutes Weds. Dovish or Hawkish. I'm in the Dovish camp for now, which means market rally. G20 end of week and through weekend. Regardless of what happens, the Trump administration will spin it as a win (which will probably be a lie) but the market MAY take it as bullish again (a true trade deal with China NO MATTER the content at this point would mean an over 10% market rally in short term 15-25 mrkt days). But, the administration has cried wolf so many times already it's uncertain as to how the market would take a Kudlow, Mnunchin, Trump comment about "We know we're closer to a deal TODAY than we have ever been - it's going to be uuugge!"..

so, I'm seeing Green going into Friday - possibly. Strong possibly.

Still long a Dec $345 call (sold the $355 call against it, but I'm looking for an exit there (buy back the $355) at some point and I'd like to ultimately re-sell a Dec $370 call for nearly any amount.

Last edited:
But there's a difference between honesty and providing excess information. I can invite folks over to my house and play host, but I don't have to show them the darkest recesses of the basement or the attic. When my guests leave, I don't want them focusing on my messed up basement/attic.

Obviously it’s a matter of personal perspective, except in this case we bloody well know Elon is going to show us the attic, every single time.

So stop acting surprised, outraged, disappointed, perturbed et al... He’s going to take us by the hand and walk us up the hidden staircase to the attic and then down to the basement, it’s just a matter of time. If this is something you don’t want to see, know or hear then get out. Get out and never come back.

You have no basis to complain about that which you know is going to happen. It’s like being annoyed you’re getting rained on when you walked out the door, saw the thinder clouds and opted to not grab an umbrella.

Bloomberg - Are you a robot?

Lordstown Ohio was capable at one point recently of 5,000+ a week production, Oshawa 7,000+ a week , and Detroit-Hamtramck about 4,000 a week. Lordstown or Oshawa could probably host a MY line.

Fremont is getting up there numbers wise, I'd actually bet now, because of the higher ASP and vertical integration, that the Tesla Fremont plant is the highest producing plant in North America in terms of dollar value added, perhaps by a considerable margin as well.

...I think this moment marks the beginning of the end of the ICE industry as we know it: the more visible part of the long slide down has begun.

Also, are any of these GM sites large enough for a new Gigafactory? Asking for a friend! :D

Imagine the thanks Elon would get from GM (et al), for buying the Lordstown OH plant from GM!

Because a house you have to rebuild every 50 years has twice the environmental footprint of one you have to rebuild once every hundred years, which has twice the environmental footprint as one you have to build every 200 years.... etc. While it's very hard to pinpoint just how long mine should last, with the amount I'm overdoing the rebar, and trying to keep structures in compression rather than tension, it should at least be in the hundreds of years, and potentially the thousands.

Just wondering, what's the current elevation from sea levels?

Because in the hundreds of years time frame your house would probably have to be at 120m+ elevation to not become an underwater attraction, with very different sources of errosion and stress than you are designing it for. :confused:

Much of Reykjavik would be underwater.

Reactions: guidooo and neroden
Detailed Reuters article about GM restructuring and closing factories:

"GM has begun what is expected to be a long and expensive transition to a new business model that embraces electrified and automated vehicles, many of which will be shared rather than owned.

The No. 1 U.S. automaker signaled the latest belt-tightening in late October when it offered buyouts to 50,000 salaried employees in North America, with the aim of reducing headcount by 18,000. It plans to trim executive ranks by 25 percent, the source said.

With U.S. car sales lagging, several car plants have fallen to just one shift, including its Hamtramck and Lordstown, assembly plant.

A rule of thumb for the automotive industry is that if a plant is running below 80 percent of production capacity, it is losing money. GM has several plants running well below that. Consultancy LMC estimates that Lordstown will operate at just 31 percent of production capacity in 2018."
Ouch...

$GM is of course up 5% on the job cuts (which improve margins) - Wall Street missing the forest from the trees again.

I think this moment marks the beginning of the end of the ICE industry as we know it: the more visible part of the long slide down has begun.

Also, are any of these GM sites large enough for a new Gigafactory? Asking for a friend! :D
All three are. Oshawa is the best choice of the three, IMO. Michigan is still hostile to Tesla regardless of the party in power, and Hamtramck is a bad location from an employee recruiting perspective. Lordstown is a bad location from a transportation and employee recruiting perspective.

Oshawa can draw from the entire Toronto workforce and has excellent transportation connections. The GO station is within pedestrian-bridge distance if someone would bother to build one, or in employee-shuttle distance if you want to be wasteful.

I bet GM won't sell the plant, just to spite Tesla, but it actually would be a great location.

Just wondering, what's the current elevation from sea levels?

Because in the hundreds of years time frame your house would probably have to be at 120m+ elevation to not become an underwater attraction, with very different sources of errosion and stress than you are designing it for. :cool:

Much of Reykjavik would be underwater.

About 100m. Not a threat :) Stabilizing the slopes against erosion is a greater long-term threat which I'm working on. Definitely needs to be vegetated by plants with deep roots. Drainage also had to be very good because there's a nearby underground stream (to its west) which could shift over geological timescales; it's already caused a landslide once in recent times along its flow path. The house is very elongated on one axis, pointing away from the canyon walls, so the whole house is like a giant anchor to itself.

All three are. Oshawa is the best choice of the three, IMO. Michigan is still hostile to Tesla regardless of the party in power, and Hamtramck is a bad location from an employee recruiting perspective. Lordstown is a bad location from a transportation and employee recruiting perspective.

Oshawa can draw from the entire Toronto workforce and has excellent transportation connections. The GO station is within pedestrian-bridge distance if someone would bother to build one, or in employee-shuttle distance if you want to be wasteful.

I bet GM won't sell the plant, just to spite Tesla, but it actually would be a great location.

That's why you buy it under a pseudonym

EDIT- Also, Tesla could probably use two of them, one for Y, one for Truck.

Last edited:

I was also thinking GM would not willingly sell the plant. A good PR program could force the issue. If the local gov't didn't support a Tesla offer to buy the plant and rehire the workforce would be suicidal. They could force GM to sell and threaten eminent domain if needed.
Any site east of Chicago to take the train system out of play is great to help reduce distribution costs for the east coast and European exports.

Thanksgiving break....

I can confirm factory was shutdown on "Black Friday" when I was at Fremont Factory Sales around 1:30 pm. The parking lots were only about 2-3% full. My guess is the they are production line engineers (hopefully testing further optimizations) and maintenance crews.

I expect production will go full-bore from now through end of Q4, with another shutdown for 12/25. Expect a blowout Q4! :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.